Alaska - HAL or Celebrity?

NYCcruiser86

I am not so sure it is an accurate statement that HAL gets priority docking. At one time I know this was considered true. Iin 2008 my HAL Ship was quite a long walk from town in Skagway. Princess definitely had a better dock than we did. This year I have been reading several reviews where returning HAL cruisers say they docked at the farthest dock in Juneau. So, what may have been true at one time, or may be true for some itineraries, is not necessarily true in all cases. The way HAL has been cost cutting so much, I am beginning to wonder if the less desirable docking spots cost less. Who knows, but it surely makes me wonder.

In June, the Amsterdam docked just a block from the Red Dog Saloon, It was a wonderful place to be, also was right by the public library. seemed like a really conveinent spot to be docked .

Great photo!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! Yes, Vancouver is the way to go if scenery is a priority.

I have cruised the inside passage before, in fact this last 14 day cruise advertised the inside passage, and I even called HAL about it, because the map didn't show that it went on the east side of Vancouver Island, so I was surprised when they told me that any Ship going to tracy arm or hubbard glacier WAS the inside passage!! Of course anyone who has been on a cruise up the true inside passage, knows that isn't true!! I loved our 14 day cruise on the Amsterdam, but if I go to Alaska again, I would certainly choose to leave from Vancouver, since one must leave from Vancouver to sail the inside passage, those from Seattle, just don't do it.

I agree that the inside passage is a must, the scenery was magnificent, and so close to the edges of the passage, we had fun looking for "golf balls" in the trees. (eagles, of course!)

All this feedback is so great!! Thank you all. I'll re-tool to look for Glacier Bay routes (these appear to be more expensive) and the ships out of Vancouver.

I think I'm pretty sold on HAL over Celebrity. I love Celebrity but have only heard the best things about HAL and given their history in Alaska they seem the clear choice.

J,

My standard answer -- "why not do both?" My wife and I have cruised Celebrity 18 times and Holland America 9 times. Both companies are great, but on most points we prefer Celebrity.

You can do a northbound cruise out of Vancouver on Holland America, and spend a bit of time in Seward, then take a southbound Celebrity ship returning to Vancouver.

That way, you get Glacier Bay (very nice) and Hubbard Glacier (even better), as well as a couple of different stops.

We did a 23 day vacation this way -- including nights in a Princess lodge in the Kenai.

As far as the Seattle route -- nothing in HAL's fleet even comes close to Celebrity's Solstice class ships! They are in a class of their own.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

J,

My standard answer -- "why not do both?" My wife and I have cruised Celebrity 18 times and Holland America 9 times. Both companies are great, but on most points we prefer Celebrity.

You can do a northbound cruise out of Vancouver on Holland America, and spend a bit of time in Seward, then take a southbound Celebrity ship returning to Vancouver.

That way, you get Glacier Bay (very nice) and Hubbard Glacier (even better), as well as a couple of different stops.

We did a 23 day vacation this way -- including nights in a Princess lodge in the Kenai.

As far as the Seattle route -- nothing in HAL's fleet even comes close to Celebrity's Solstice class ships! They are in a class of their own.

Enjoy!

Do you mean Denali? :confused:

I have cruised the inside passage before, in fact this last 14 day cruise advertised the inside passage, and I even called HAL about it, because the map didn't show that it went on the east side of Vancouver Island, so I was surprised when they told me that any Ship going to tracy arm or hubbard glacier WAS the inside passage!! Of course anyone who has been on a cruise up the true inside passage, knows that isn't true!! I loved our 14 day cruise on the Amsterdam, but if I go to Alaska again, I would certainly choose to leave from Vancouver, since one must leave from Vancouver to sail the inside passage, those from Seattle, just don't do it.

I agree that the inside passage is a must, the scenery was magnificent, and so close to the edges of the passage, we had fun looking for "golf balls" in the trees. (eagles, of course!)

You were not misinformed. Some of the ports are in the Inside Passage so the cruise ships can honestly say you are sailing the inside passage even if not traveling initially to the east of Vancouver Island.

Last year the Amsterdam did sail from Seattle but cruised to the east of Vancouver Island going northbound. Many on this forum were disappointed to see they dropped that segment for this year. In years past NCL had some itineraries that left Seattle and also sailed east of Vancouver Island through the inside passage. Last I checked, I could not find that itinerary again. Perhaps I missed it, but more likely it is just another example of cost cutting by the cruiselines. It is sad as a day cruising to the east of Vancouver Island is just phenomenal!!

J,

Enjoy!

Although there are those that would agree that Hubbard Glacier is better than Glacier Bay, not everyone holds that point of view. Glacier Bay was hands down a more amazing experience for my DH and me. We appreciated the size of Hubbard Glacier, but the cruising experience just didn't cut it for us, compared to all we saw sailing Glacier Bay for the better part of a day. We are all different when it comes to what we like best. For me it was definitely Glacier Bay. For you it was Hubbard.

We just returned from Alaska on the Volendam. The itinerary was great - not many ships were in ports and Glacier Bay was just magical. The Captain was the most enthusiastic I have ever seen. He was always on the PA giving info about the wildlife and when to spot whales, porpoises or bears.

The inside passage route we took from Vancouver went through some beautiful narrow channels - something we did not do on our last voyage out of Seattle on NCL.

We have recently sailed on the Oosterdam to Mexico and will be sailing on Celebrity Reflection in January. We really like the larger ships, too, but for this itinerary- go with a midsize ship. The ship is older- but well maintained. No complaints. You should check it out.

I went on the Volendam to AK in 2008. I have no idea if it was the same captain, but like your experience, our captain also kept us well informed about what we were seeing outside the ship and when wildlife was visible. In 2011 I was on the Amsterdam and the captain never informed us of what was outside the ship. I made sure to express my disappointment on the end of cruise evaluation sheet, hoping it would lead to a change. Those returning this year from their Amsterdam cruises mentioned it was the same thing this year....no commentaries about wildlife. :confused::confused:

Hi All,

After much debate my partner and I have decided that our next destination will be Alaska! We're very excited about this but overwhelmed by the choices! Given my work schedule we are limited to one of the 7 night round-trip inside passages cruises.

Neither of us have ever sailed on HAL before but we have multiple times on Celebrity. These two are by far our top choices for Alaska.

Given these choices:

Oosterdam

Celebrity Solstice

which would you all recommend. We've done the Solstice class before for Celebrity and loved it. Either one would be a regular balcony room and the itinerary's are virtually identical.

There is a good chance our extended families would be coming too and ages would range from 7 to 68 so the children's program would need to be pretty good. Also, given that its Alaska the indoor pool options on both ships are appealing but we're worried that the indoor pool on the Solstice being adults only would mean the kids had almost nothing to do on sea days.

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :D

HAL has promenade that goes around the entire ship. I don't think Celebrity does.

In Glacier Bay HAL opens the bow section that is usually closed to passengers. Makes for awesome viewing.

HAL has promenade that goes around the entire ship. I don't think Celebrity does.

In Glacier Bay HAL opens the bow section that is usually closed to passengers. Makes for awesome viewing.

Yep, Celebrity's one big "epic failure" -- all of it's ships lack a wrap around promenade deck! If the Solstice Class ships had a promenade similar to the Queen Mary 2, the design would be close to perfect.

Enjoy!

We just returned from Alaska on the Volendam. The itinerary was great - not many ships were in ports and Glacier Bay was just magical. The Captain was the most enthusiastic I have ever seen. He was always on the PA giving info about the wildlife and when to spot whales, porpoises or bears.

I too was on the Volendam, at the beginning of August.... I agree with you, the Captain (Peter Bos) was great! He was always making announcements about upcoming wildlife, and no matter where people were on the ship, everyone had time to get to a window or outside deck! He was very enthusiastic about the wildlife, it was wonderful! And he made many announcements on where we were at given times of the cruise, so that people who had their own maps could follow along with the route and the sights to see. He was fabulous.....for our family, he made the Alaska cruise even more special!

Archived