Excursion in Grand Cayman cancelled - now what?

KimtheCruiser

Just got an e-mail from Carnival that our excursion in Grand Cayman next week has been cancelled. (Car museum is closed for renovations.) Any suggestions for a non-beach, non-water something to do there?

Let me explain - DH loves to cruise but does not like beaches - the man does not even own a swimsuit or pair of shorts. When we cruise, we compromise by having one beach day for me because I love the beach and one tour day for him. We're having our beach day in Jamaica and had planned for Grand Cayman to be a tour day. We've been to Cozumel several times, so we usually just get off the ship briefly to wander the shops and perhaps have lunch, then back on the ship.

I told him he needed to choose because if it were up to me, I'd proceed directly to Seven Mile Beach!

The turtle farm in Grand Cayman is quite interesting and a nice little excursion. They put sea turtles back into the wild. It has been a backup plan for us on the island more than one time when it has been too rough to snorkel / do stingray related activities we were originally planning. You can take a taxi and do this on your own or signup for an excursion for this. Our whole extended family group enjoyed this -- teens 40 somethings, 50 somethings, and 70 somethings. This on tours is sometimes combined with a few other minor stops.

First time we went to Grand Cayman, our tour was also cancelled, so we took a comprehensive land tour through Carnival (I believe it was called "See and Sea" tour, but that was years ago).

No getting wet. We rode in a bus along Seven Mile Beach, then to the town of Hell, then on to the Turtle Farm, and fiinally to the Tortuga Rum Factory. We also boarded a glass bottom boat and went to the sandbar to see the stingrays, (once again, we didn't go in the water).

Not a bad tour for someone who wants to learn about Grand Cayman, and who prefers not to go to the beach or get in the water.

We don't do beaches either, as we prefer to explore more. ( as to your husband not bringing swim suits or shorts~ I am opposite, I no longer bring any long pants on a cruise).

We have been to GC twice, our stops:

Pedro St. James Historic Site

Local food at Seymours and Tony's Jerk (GC has turtle meat, stewed cowsfoot, oxtail and great jerk and seafood)

Caybrew Brewery Tour

and yes, the turtle farm, one can easily spend the whole day there. Check out the turtles, pick them up etc.. then eat some of them, then swim with them, then swim in the parks pool, swim under manmade waterfalls, use the slide etc.Then tour their aviary, then walk there great nature trails. Check out the shark tank etc. etc..

If you are looking just to sightsee, you can do an Island tour. As soon as you get off the boat there are people who will offer to give you a tour for about $20 pp. The one we went on took us around the Island to Hell, Tortuga Rum cake factory (I guess just the store but they had samples), dolphin place (we just observed). You could also go over to the turtle farm, but given that we did not have but 20 minutes, we did not want to pay to do it. It was decent enough for the money, not an award winning tour by any means, but good to see the Island.

I have been to GC twice and its definitely not my favorite place. Personally, I will probably go again to check out 7 mile beach and to go to Sting Ray city when DD is old enough, but those of course involve water. :D

Just got an e-mail from Carnival that our excursion in Grand Cayman next week has been cancelled. (Car museum is closed for renovations.) Any suggestions for a non-beach, non-water something to do there?

Let me explain - DH loves to cruise but does not like beaches - the man does not even own a swimsuit or pair of shorts. When we cruise, we compromise by having one beach day for me because I love the beach and one tour day for him. We're having our beach day in Jamaica and had planned for Grand Cayman to be a tour day. We've been to Cozumel several times, so we usually just get off the ship briefly to wander the shops and perhaps have lunch, then back on the ship.

I told him he needed to choose because if it were up to me, I'd proceed directly to Seven Mile Beach!

The tender drops you off right in the middle of an excellent shopping and restaurant area. You can spend hours just exploring Georgetown by foot.:)

You can easily spend hours or more at the turtle farm. We did earlier this year:

Georgetown, Grand Cayman

Page1 - Cookies, Lido Breakfast Items, Lido Breakfast, Tendering, Royal Watler, Cayman Turtle Farm, Turtle Breeding Pond, Turtle Display, Touch Tanks, Babies, Iguana, Predator Reef, Turtle Lagoon,

Page2 - Cayman Turtle Farm, Turtle Lagoon, Caribbean Aviary, Saffron Finch, White-Crowned Pigeon, Scarlet Ibis, White Ibis, Predator Reef, Turtle Feeding, Shark Feeding, Female Red-Legged Honeycreeper, Male Red-Legged Honeycreeper,

Page3 - Cayman Turtle Farm, Male Red-Legged Honeycreeper, Turtle Lagoon, Flowers, Lockers, Nature Trail, Schooner's Bar and Grill, Iguana, Turtle Breeding Pond,

Page4 - Cayman Turtle Farm, Coconuts, Dolphin Discovery, Cemetery, Peace Memorial, Library, Royal Watler, Carnival Magic, Tender,

I also heard its very easy to get around Grand Cayman using their bus system:

http://www.grandcayman4u.com/transport/buses.htm

It is very safe and clean.

The bus terminal is on Edward Street, adjacent to the Public Library, in George Town, about a block or 2 up from the port.

Issac said: "Every bus that is traveling south from 7-mile beach area will take you to the Cruise Port. And any bus traveling north from Georgetown will take you to anywhere on 7-mile beach all the way north to West Bay.

To get to Bodden Town, you must first take as bus catch a "blue #3" to Bodden Town.

The buses are great and relatively cheap. CI$2 to anywhere along Georgetown and 7-mile. I'm not the sure about the cost to the other side of the island. But its cheap!!"

Ditto, the turtle farm -- have been twice, very enjoyable

I also heard its very easy to get around Grand Cayman using their bus system:

http://www.grandcayman4u.com/transport/buses.htm

It is very safe and clean.

The bus terminal is on Edward Street, adjacent to the Public Library, in George Town, about a block or 2 up from the port.

Issac said: "Every bus that is traveling south from 7-mile beach area will take you to the Cruise Port. And any bus traveling north from Georgetown will take you to anywhere on 7-mile beach all the way north to West Bay.

To get to Bodden Town, you must first take as bus catch a "blue #3" to Bodden Town.

The buses are great and relatively cheap. CI$2 to anywhere along Georgetown and 7-mile. I'm not the sure about the cost to the other side of the island. But its cheap!!"

Can you ride the bus rountrip? It would be nice to see a little more of the Seven mile beach area! We have been to GC many times but just head straight to Royal Palms for a beach day!

Can you ride the bus rountrip? It would be nice to see a little more of the Seven mile beach area! We have been to GC many times but just head straight to Royal Palms for a beach day!

They are usually vans and you can take them all the way to the turtle farm and back, passing all of 7 Mile Beach along the way. I don't think you will see that much of the beach from the van - often there are sea grapes or other vegetation in the way.

Last time we took a taxi to the turtle farm and a public "bus" back.

DSC_7307.JPG

Archived