A Travel Agent told me that...............

KentuckyWoman

the Diamond Princess southbound cruise for 2006 (July 15) is already at 50% capacity. Now personally, I find that hard to believe. Do you think this is correct or are they just putting the pressure on me to book now?

Also, I know we aren't suppose to name names, etc., but just wondering if most of the people frequenting this board use a local TA or one they find on the internet. I have found that the one on the internet is a bit cheaper than the local one and I don't really know either TA nor their reputation. The local guy, though, has gone on over 45 cruises himself which include several Alaskan cruises. Just looking for some opinions.

>>...the Diamond Princess southbound cruise for 2006 (July 15) is already at 50% capacity. Now personally, I find that hard to believe.<<

I think that the odds of that being true are 0%. I'd be surprised if it's 20% booked....

Yukon, I think you are right, therefore I will be leary of using this TA. Plus the TA said they are the largest Cruise TA in the industry, I beet a lot of them say the same thing. Does anyone know who the largest cruise TA there is?

This is possible because a lot of agencies hold group space on cruise ships. Its doesn't mean that 50% of the cabins are already sold but the agencies hold a certain amount to sell at good prices. The cruise line cannot sell what the travel agencies are holding until the agency releases them back to the cruise line. I would never book a trip over the internet. If something happens its good to have a travel agency to intervene for you.

This is possible because a lot of agencies hold group space on cruise ships. Its doesn't mean that 50% of the cabins are already sold but the agencies hold a certain amount to sell at good prices. The cruise line cannot sell what the travel agencies are holding until the agency releases them back to the cruise line. I would never book a trip over the internet. If something happens its good to have a travel agency to intervene for you.

Not actually booking the cruise thru the internet, just found a TA thru the internet, however they are in Houston and I am in Minneapolis. Don't know what to do. Booked my first cruise thru a company I found on the internet and then spoke with them all the time.

I have used the same travel agent forever and she is phenominal. I found a price the day Celebrity opened up and 6 days later when we tried to add a cabin the price had gone up $2000. When our agent asked how that could be she was told that they already were at 50% booked. I know this agent personally and know she wouldn't lie and as the previous poster stated, agents block rooms. We are going the end of June 2006 and I believe July is the most popular month so I would believe that this could be true.

I think you have to go with your gut instinct on this and do what you think is best for you. I like knowing there is someone I can go to if there's a problem and someone looking out for me before I travel but I've booked my airfare online and never had any problems.

I hope you have a delightful trip to Alaska!

Robin

July 15 is mid season but still doesn't seem like ship would be that full now. Have you gone to Travelocity and tried to book on there just to see how full the ship is.. the inventory might not be completely accurate but would give you an idea how full the ship is.. and you don't have to book there to "check".... I was a TA for a good while and IMHO only it's odd that the ship would be 50% full unless a lot of space is being held by groups for a certain deposit period and then it will go back into inventory????

Thanks Caroline. When I saw your name as the last person to reply, I thought I was going to be fussed at because we were chatting about TA's. I was hoping I did everything right, and I guess I did. I checked with Travelocity, but apparently something is wrong with the web site currently. Will check again later. Thanks for the info everyone.

You might put the word out to your family and friends (and work friends) and see if anyone you know can recommend a good TA.

We live in Chicago, and use a Florida based TA, but they were highly recommended - they specialize in cruises, and we have booked several times with them.

When we started to book our cruise ( August 2005) last November our T/A said the issue was 2 fold. Ship had room the land tours fill up fast. We found that out the hard way although it turned out for the best as we got a better deal by booking 2 weeks later on Celebrity than RCCL. The reason Alaska fills up fast as does Med Cruises so sas my T/A is that it is paid for in US DOLLARS. The Euro is killing us. If you book a Med cruise on say RCCL or Celebrity - virtually everything is in US$ so people who want to go to Europe pay less if they go on a cruise so it books quick.

Those who don't want to go to Europe and are tired of the caribbean do Alaska hense that fills up so allowing for Block booking by some agencies - I would guess the TA might be somewhat right in saying that next years sailings - or at least prime dates and cabins are at least 50% taken

I do know that HAL is sold at 20% for 2006 already.

that is straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

I also know that there is a LOT of group space selling very quickly and there is a lot of pressure to get those room on hold for next year. The prices are going up very quickly.

Given that Alaska is the place to be this year theyre anticipating it again for next year.

I just do not understand this since the iteniaries and pricing are not released yet. I called a TA to see if I could book yet for HAL Alaska 2006 and was told no way!

Please explain!

Thanks,

Gici:confused:

The pricing has been released for Princess, not sure about HAL. I checked the web site I have been using, and no pricing out yet for HAL. Sorry.

You wanna know the truth? TA's don't have any idea what the real numbers are. That information is not really given to TA's. They can get an idea but they don't really know for sure. I was a TA for years.

You wanna know the truth? TA's don't have any idea what the real numbers are. That information is not really given to TA's. They can get an idea but they don't really know for sure. I was a TA for years.

well, I was just on a training call with the head of groups sales for HAL and that was what he told me so I was just passing that news along.

Archived