Amsterdam's last 14 day cruise to Alaska

luvcruisn'

If HAL can't justify a full season of the Alaska 14-day itinerary, does anyone think they could offer it for a "limited" time each season? I'm thinking twice a season or something like that. Maybe during the month of June or July? Or maybe at the beginning or ending of the season. As I've said (probably too many times) ... we believe to get the full Alaska flavor, seeing some of the smaller ports is just as important as Juneau, Ketchikan, etc. Just a thought.

I think that is a great idea!

My in-laws and my husband's brother and his wife and wife's father and his wife are on this itinerary as we 'speak'. We wanted to join them, but they only booked three weeks ago, and it just wasn't possible for us. Sigh. It looks like a great itinerary! I can't wait to hear what they have to say about it when they get back!

Robin

If HAL can't justify a full season of the Alaska 14-day itinerary, does anyone think they could offer it for a "limited" time each season? I'm thinking twice a season or something like that. Maybe during the month of June or July? Or maybe at the beginning or ending of the season. As I've said (probably too many times) ... we believe to get the full Alaska flavor, seeing some of the smaller ports is just as important as Juneau, Ketchikan, etc. Just a thought.

I totally agree - my sister and I have done this cruise twice, once in May of 2010 and then this year, Aug. 10 - 24. Fabulous both times, and we would book it again in a heartbeat if it were offered.

Lisa-Ann, the Second Sister

(p.s. I keep a travel blog, and if you want my day to day review of this cruise, here's the link: https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/ )

I also hope they bring this back and maybe on a Vista class ship. DH & I both love the itinerary but need to be retired. Neither of our jobs allows more than 7 days vacation at a time. Hopefully retirement will be within the next 2 years. The sooner the better!

Diane

I'm sorry to see the 14 day cruises go away. I was hoping to take it again because it was such a great experience. But if HAL can't make money on it, it is better for them to drop it than to cut back elsewhere. They are a business, after all.

We were on this cruise this past week and were told that the reason they were discontinuing the cruise was the cost of dredging the harbors, in the small ports, to get cruise ships in was too much for the ports to absorb. As far as pricing, I had been watching this cruise for the past several years and found it way over what I would pay for 14 days. About a month ago, I found a price I could live with and pulled the trigger. Ecept for the extended lockdown, one full week for the norovirus or whatever it's called, and the rainy weather for most of it, it was worth every penny.

Sadly I do not see HAL bringing back this itinerary. HAL lost too much money on these cruises. HAL makes more money on the 7 day cruises.

Putting a Vista class ship on this itinerary wouldn't solve the problem. I am not certain but I don't think a larger ship can dock at either Homer or Kodiak.

Yup and I think they would have trouble in Anchorage also, from what I was told it was pretty shallow there as well.

DH and I just returned from the 14-day Alaska cruise from 8/24 - 9/7. It was fantastic. My husband was confined to his cabin for nearly three days because there was a bad outbreak of a stomach flu, but we loved our vacation even despite that and are talking about the next one.

We wanted to relocate to every port we visited, but we finally settled on Sitka. ;-) Haha...

Question: How do people manage to be content with a 7-days or less cruise? One week would not have been enough! Time slipped by in a blink -- especially with DH being sick and quarantined.

I will miss this itinerary, too. It was a wonderful cruise even though we saw rain almost everyday. Poured in Ketchikan and Kodiak.

We had a full day in Sitka due to a private excursion, so we didn't have much free time downtown. I hope to make it to the soda fountain one day.

What exactly is an "egg cream"? I've read about it in books.

TRVLCRZY: I hope you do get back there. Maybe you and David ane I could be there at the same time. Jst hope it is sunny when you get back there.

Archived