Extra days in AK?

minniemom2009

Need some help please! I'm trying to plan a trip next year for 11 family members. This is a first time for all of us to AK and I really want to make the best choices for everyone :)

We plan to cruise on Princess in August 2013. There will be people in our group ranging from age 9 - 60.

There are just so many options when it comes to itinerary and extra days on land that I'm getting terribly confused! It looks to me like there's quite a bit of free time during the land portion of the cruise tour. What is there to do during this "free time?" Is it really worth it?

I'm thinking if we tour Denali (hopefully the Tundra tour) and see the sights while cruising, is it really necessary to just have more "free time" to wander?

What is the benefit of booking the land portion hotels and activities on our own? Is it that much cheaper?

I'd love any and all input here! As much detail as possible . . . PLEASE! Thanks so much :)

Without knowing exactly what your schedule is, it is hard to give much constructive advice. It really depends on how much "free time" you have and where the free time is at.

I can say this, though, that with 11 people if you are trying to get everyone to do all activities together, especially with the wide age range, many will probably end up very unsatisfied.

Are you already committed to a cruisetour? Or would you seriously consider an independent land tour?

I would consider a shuttle bus at Denali vs. the Tundra Tour but the Tundra Tour is certainly better than the NHT.

"Free time" on a cruise tour is probably great since it gives you time to see/do things that are not included on the cruisetour. But again, without knowing the details of your cruisetour we can't give very detailed advice.

While I generally agree with Frugal, I would advise against an independent tour. With 11 people and luggage, you will have to rent a small bus and it will require making many reservations at various lodgings. 11 people could easily fill a B&B.

If you guys want to travel as a group I would advise some planned group travel. A cruise tour is a great option, but you need to know what it entails. As Frugal says, just what is "Free time" and where will you be.

Remember, traveling overland in Alaska takes time and you will want time to rest and relax to just enjoy the surroundings.

Good luck with the planning.

A lot of that "free time" might be travel time. The train is very slow. For instance the drive from Anchorage to Denali is only 5 hrs but the train takes 8 hrs. It runs around 8am-4pm. So your free time might be the evening you arrive. And a few morning hours on the 3rd day since the train leaves at noon. So look closely at your arrival and departure times to figure out how much free time you really have.

For 11 people and all that luggage, I think 3 rental cars would be an efficient and fun way to travel. You can mix and match family members who will ride well together or have similar interests. Travelling independently will also give you more choice for accomodation. Would people prefer to stay in a cabin as part of their Alaska adventure and prepare their own meals? or would a hotel, B&B or lodge work best?

There is info on the Denali shuttle and tour buses on the Park reservation site under PLAY. http://www.reservedenali.com/

The shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center is free for kids under 14, $17 for 15-17, and adults are $34. The Tundra Tour fare is $123 and kids under 14 are $57. With some cruisetours you can get a refund on the tour and buy the shuttle ticket instead. For 11 people that's a considerable savings.

As frugaltravel said, it's hard to offer ideas without knowing the details of the itinerary you're looking at.

Have you read trip reviews posted over the past few weeks? There have been several cruisetour and DIY trips. Look over the past several pages and read the reviews to pick up some ideas.

And borrow an Alaska travel book from your library, like a Frommers. The book will provide information on various destinations and will give you ideas to work with. Suggest that other adults look at the book as well, and give you input on what they want to see and do. No point in planning an itinerary to Denali only to learn that your group would rather stay on the Kenai Peninsula for fishing, boat tours, beach combing, etc.

Need some help please! I'm trying to plan a trip next year for 11 family members. This is a first time for all of us to AK and I really want to make the best choices for everyone :)

We plan to cruise on Princess in August 2013. There will be people in our group ranging from age 9 - 60.

There are just so many options when it comes to itinerary and extra days on land that I'm getting terribly confused! It looks to me like there's quite a bit of free time during the land portion of the cruise tour. What is there to do during this "free time?" Is it really worth it?

I'm thinking if we tour Denali (hopefully the Tundra tour) and see the sights while cruising, is it really necessary to just have more "free time" to wander?

What is the benefit of booking the land portion hotels and activities on our own? Is it that much cheaper?

I'd love any and all input here! As much detail as possible . . . PLEASE! Thanks so much :)

I am just finishing a "live posting" of our Alaska cruise. (still in Anchorage-- I was on a Royal Caribbean ship. So, you will need to go past the first couple of pages. (although I begin with Vancouver--if you are interested in that) I think we did some of the things you are considering.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35131941&posted=1#post35131941

I am just finishing a "live posting" of our Alaska cruise. (still in Anchorage-- I was on a Royal Caribbean ship. So, you will need to go past the first couple of pages. (although I begin with Vancouver--if you are interested in that) I think we did some of the things you are considering.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35131941&posted=1#post35131941

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing this with me. I just read through it all and I enjoyed your writing style as much as the pictures . . . can't wait to read more :)

Without knowing exactly what your schedule is, it is hard to give much constructive advice. It really depends on how much "free time" you have and where the free time is at.

I can say this, though, that with 11 people if you are trying to get everyone to do all activities together, especially with the wide age range, many will probably end up very unsatisfied.

Are you already committed to a cruisetour? Or would you seriously consider an independent land tour?

I would consider a shuttle bus at Denali vs. the Tundra Tour but the Tundra Tour is certainly better than the NHT.

"Free time" on a cruise tour is probably great since it gives you time to see/do things that are not included on the cruisetour. But again, without knowing the details of your cruisetour we can't give very detailed advice.

At this point I don't even know what our schedule is! We're not committed to anything . . . haven't even booked yet. We just know we'd like to go next August and are trying to figure out if we want to book the landtour with Princess, do it on our own, how many days to do, what to see, etc, etc.

I am open to any and all suggestions!

Can I ask why you would consider the shuttle bus at Denali instead of the Tundra tour? And the shuttle bus is completely different than the NHS tour, yes? I've planned so many Caribbean cruises without a problem, but this all seems so much more complex! AY!

While I generally agree with Frugal, I would advise against an independent tour. With 11 people and luggage, you will have to rent a small bus and it will require making many reservations at various lodgings. 11 people could easily fill a B&B.

If you guys want to travel as a group I would advise some planned group travel. A cruise tour is a great option, but you need to know what it entails. As Frugal says, just what is "Free time" and where will you be.

Remember, traveling overland in Alaska takes time and you will want time to rest and relax to just enjoy the surroundings.

Good luck with the planning.

Very good point about resting and relaxing, especially for the kids. I'm getting quite worried that the land tour may be just a bit too much for them. Lots to consider . . .

A lot of that "free time" might be travel time. The train is very slow. For instance the drive from Anchorage to Denali is only 5 hrs but the train takes 8 hrs. It runs around 8am-4pm. So your free time might be the evening you arrive. And a few morning hours on the 3rd day since the train leaves at noon. So look closely at your arrival and departure times to figure out how much free time you really have.

For 11 people and all that luggage, I think 3 rental cars would be an efficient and fun way to travel. You can mix and match family members who will ride well together or have similar interests. Travelling independently will also give you more choice for accomodation. Would people prefer to stay in a cabin as part of their Alaska adventure and prepare their own meals? or would a hotel, B&B or lodge work best?

There is info on the Denali shuttle and tour buses on the Park reservation site under PLAY. http://www.reservedenali.com/

The shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center is free for kids under 14, $17 for 15-17, and adults are $34. The Tundra Tour fare is $123 and kids under 14 are $57. With some cruisetours you can get a refund on the tour and buy the shuttle ticket instead. For 11 people that's a considerable savings.

As frugaltravel said, it's hard to offer ideas without knowing the details of the itinerary you're looking at.

Have you read trip reviews posted over the past few weeks? There have been several cruisetour and DIY trips. Look over the past several pages and read the reviews to pick up some ideas.

And borrow an Alaska travel book from your library, like a Frommers. The book will provide information on various destinations and will give you ideas to work with. Suggest that other adults look at the book as well, and give you input on what they want to see and do. No point in planning an itinerary to Denali only to learn that your group would rather stay on the Kenai Peninsula for fishing, boat tours, beach combing, etc.

Thanks so much for all your info and suggestions. I just put a hold on the Frommers guide at my library and hope to pick it up this week. I'm actually thinking the group may need to split up for the land tour. I know some family members really want to book that through the cruise line, but I'm really beginning to think it may be too much for the kids. I'm leaning towards booking things on our own and taking a slower approach with them.

I posted a link to the Denali reservation page earlier so you could read about the tour and shuttle buses. Cost is the huge difference.

Keep in mind that there is only one road in the park so they both travel the same road. Both buses stop every 90 minutes at rest areas for bathroom breaks. Both stop for wildlife sightings.

The shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center at Mile 66 takes 8 hrs. The VC has exhibits, water fountain, restrooms, and a great view of the mtn if it's out.

Adult fare is $34, youth 15-17 are $17, 14 and under are FREE. Plus the 7-day entry fee to the park is an extra $10pp

The Tundra Tour goes to Mile 53 and takes 8 hrs. It stops at a rest area/bookstore. Adult fare $123, under 14 is $57. It includes water and a snack. The driver has a canned narrative to share with passengers, and a drop down screen to zoom in on wildlife that is far away.

You might want to look at the Park web site for info on the free sled dog demo, exhibits, trails, free bus to Savage River at Mile 15, free Jr Ranger kit for kids. http://www.nps.gov/dena/siteindex.htm

Denali Chamber of Commerce: http://www.alaskaone.com/_dcc/accommodations/

The planning seems more complex at this point because Alaska is an unknown. Once you do a little research it will become easier because you'll know more about the destinations, sights and activities. A deciding factor will be how much time you have before or after the cruise for any land travel.

BTW, Frommers has an Alaska travel book with info on popular destinations in Alaska, and also has an Alaska Cruise book with info on the various ports and activites available at each. Ann Vipond also has an Alaska cruise book.

My first reaction to your post was "11 people...too many for DIY." But then I thought about my family's trips...3 sisters and their spouses, 7 children among us, ranging from toddler to teens, and our parents. Each family unit rented their own vehicle and was responsible for making their own lodging accommodations (you don't all have to stay in the same place). What a blast we've had! Multiple vehicles gives so many options...side trips, potty breaks, snack runs, dining choices, activity levels, and mixing up the company you keep for the day!

Archived