Queen Victoria - Adriatic Discovery departing 3 October 2012 has been CANCELED

zider

I have just been told that despite having to transfer to another cruise through no fault of my own, I will not be allowed to have the $1200 OBC we were awarded for booking the original cruise onboard last year, transfered to the new cruise. The reason - because we have transfered to a different voyage!!

The value of the OBC that we have lost cancels out the measly 15% we have been given for losing our holiday at this late date.

I know the engines need to be fixed and we just happened to be booked on the wrong cruise at the wrong time but this is the sort of thing that makes Cunard look particularly bad :mad:. It would cost them nothing to transfer our OBC and they would have much happier customers as a result.

I have just been told that despite having to transfer to another cruise through no fault of my own, I will not be allowed to have the $1200 OBC we were awarded for booking the original cruise onboard last year, transfered to the new cruise. The reason - because we have transfered to a different voyage!!

The value of the OBC that we have lost cancels out the measly 15% we have been given for losing our holiday at this late date.

That's what I got as well. I think this is going to be a PR disaster for Cunard/Carnival.

I have actually cancelled part of the World Voyage I had booked for next year-(loss to Cunard £19,000) and the manager I spoke to couldn't give a toss.

(I have now booked a very similer cruise with another company and despite losing my Cunard deposit, I'm actually £!,500 up!!)

I booked this trip last Nov and received a letter last night.I've had a complete nightmare this morning from Cunard and a total lack of sympathy. The letter states they will refund expenses booked for this voyage (insurance, booked train fares etc,) this they are now refusing to do and regard the 15% as a huge favour. I decided to transfer my booking to a short break on the Qeen Mary 2 and asked if I could have an onboard credit of about $50 to ease my pain. Absolutly not.

For the sake of $50 they have lost a platinum family who always travel queen's Grill.

Never again with Cunard or Carnival, I just couldn't trust them. I would have more faith in Albert Trotter

I'm truly sorry for each person and their families who have had to deal with the lost of their holiday. I know the long-term planning that is involved (ship, hotels, insurance, etc) and also the excitement of looking forward to the actual sailing. The problem with the ship is one thing, of course, the repair would need to be done but to now be refusing what Cunard had orginally stated just pours salt on "open wounds".

It is not only poor Public Relations, it is very poor business practice. I have a trip booked in the early spring and reading how they have treated those who called with valid concerns does not instill a high degree of trust in the company.

Recognising how much you will have been looking forward to sailing with us, .........

We will consider the refund of reasonable expenses that you have incurred as a result of this cancellation.

Once again please accept my apology for having to make such a late cancellation to your voyage as well as the disruption and upset this no doubt will have caused. Please also be assured that we have not taken the decision to cancel lightly, but it is very important that we undertake this essential maintenance at the earliest opportunity.

Better not to have promised 'to consider the refund of reasonable expenses incurred' then to promise and then dismiss when approached with those reasonable expenses on the part of their customers.

Makes their 'apology' seem a bit insincere.

Cunard has beautiful ships and steller service on those ships but in this instance it looks like that steller service doesn't extend to how they treat people before they step on their ships.

Again, sorry to those who have been dealing with all the upsets of having to deal with this problem and hope you can make other plans that still will result in a wonderful holiday for you and yours.

According to the BBC,QV suffered a mechanical failure yesterday... "Part of the ship's propulsion system failed on Monday, meaning it was forced to sail at speeds 10% lower than usual." More at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-19552231

Anyway, since this incident just happened yesterday, Cunard seems to have responded pretty quickly in terms of notifiying passengers about the cancelled cruise. Maybe when things settle down a bit, Cunard's response to requests for adjustments might be better organized?

I know I would be disappointed if my holiday were cancelled at such short notice albeit for a valid reason. As previous posters have said it's not just the holiday, it's the organisation and anticipation too

I hope those of you affected are able to enjoy a holiday soon x

According to the BBC,QV suffered a mechanical failure yesterday... "Part of the ship's propulsion system failed on Monday, meaning it was forced to sail at speeds 10% lower than usual." More at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-19552231

Anyway, since this incident just happened yesterday, Cunard seems to have responded pretty quickly in terms of notifiying passengers about the cancelled cruise. Maybe when things settle down a bit, Cunard's response to requests for adjustments might be better organized?

It didn't happen yesterday. The letter I received was dated 8th-Saturday. It it would have taken quite a while make the descision to cancel then knock out about 1,000 letters

It didn't happen yesterday. The letter I received was dated 8th-Saturday. It it would have taken quite a while make the descision to cancel then knock out about 1,000 letters

Hi Olliesmum. Sorry, I didn't know letters were sent out on the 8th. I was going by what the BBC reported in the article dated 11 Sept.

"...A forthcoming cruise on Cunard's Queen Victoria has been cancelled after the ship suffered mechanical failure.

Part of the ship's propulsion system failed on Monday, meaning it was forced to sail at speeds 10% lower than usual..." copied from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-19552231

So it appears that Cunard did have time to sort out compensation plans for passengers who had booked and paid in their fare in full - in addition to other costs incurred - prior to learning that their voyage was cancelled. I agree with the comment that this is a public relations disaster for Cunard, as well as a terrible inconvenience for passengers. Yes, repairs must be made, but so must efforts be made to adequately compensate passengers, in my opinion.

Regards,

Salacia

I was just wondering why Queen Victoria does not also have spare propellers on board, like QM2 has on deck 7, forward?

:confused:

I imagine she does carry spare blades but they are stored away somewhere inside the ship. I think that "Blade Henge" was a conscious design decision intended for public display.

J

I imagine she does carry spare blades but they are stored away somewhere inside the ship. I think that "Blade Henge" was a conscious design decision intended for public display.

J

I don't know, this is what many passengers seem to believe. According to what Commodore Warner once explained, however, the intention of displaying the propellers was to have spares on board.

Maybe it's a combination of both.

:cool:

It must be hugely disappointing to have ones cruise cancelled like this and for those needing to book holidays from work - extremely stressful and costly.

I suppose Cunard have sort of abided by their contract with the 15% compensation for a one month notice. Technical problems like this can happen - the question seems to be what exactly is fair compensation? Cunard are running a business so there does have to be some sort of financial reality.

It must be hugely disappointing to have ones cruise cancelled like this and for those needing to book holidays from work - extremely stressful and costly.

I suppose Cunard have sort of abided by their contract with the 15% compensation for a one month notice. Technical problems like this can happen - the question seems to be what exactly is fair compensation? Cunard are running a business so there does have to be some sort of financial reality.

Cunard have about 2000 clients who have lost their holiday three weeks before sailing. It is imperative as a business to share the clients pain so the clients have the confidence to be return customers and look good to others who may be future customers.

it is not good business sense to have the manager of the call centre staff bleating on to the client (who has been on hold for most of the morning) about the extra work they have to do.

Or call centre staff telling the client they are lucky "they have got a free holiday out of it." (the 15%)

Not refunding costs incurred for the cruise.

Etc. etc.

Just a thought, but why dont you all club together and consider joint action againt Cunard for proper compensation?

Brian

Before initiating a costly law suit the outcome of which is uncertain, those affected (plus Cunard) should check with their insurances.

I tell you what is stressful, sitting in TA watching the price of The 19 Oct cruise increasing before eyes. Two balconies left, then gone, during that time the outside had increased to £700 more than the balcony, it was less when the balconies were available. I guess they will have to make their money up somehow, but it is very unfair doing so with the passengers who had just had

their cruise cancelled. Janice

Sounds like a good idea. Anyone interested?

I have managed to book on Q220, which is a fly cruise, which looks great, but that was the only way I could get my 15%. I am still out of pocket as I get no compensation for finding my own way to a London airport, since I live near Southampton. Let own my time and preparations for this cruise.

But my biggest disappointment is the way Cunard are treating us, their customer journey experience is horrendous. It seems that the customer service only starts when you get on the Liner. You leave thinking everyone on the voyage is your friend, but reality hits when you leave the quayside, just being treated as a shipping container before and after, based on my experience with this V224 and Cunard chartered flight chaos at Venice 2 years ago.

Last time I was on Victoria, I gave myself the lifestyle challenge to go on all the Cunard Liners but now they are not helping me, so why should give them my dreams and more importantly to them my cash!

I will look at the forum and build a picture on what to expect on Queen Elizabeth and try to pick myself up again.

Sounds like a good idea. Anyone interested?

I have managed to book on Q220, which is a fly cruise, which looks great, but that was the only way I could get my 15%. I am still out of pocket as I get no compensation for finding my own way to a London airport, since I live near Southampton. Let own my time and preparations for this cruise.

But my biggest disappointment is the way Cunard are treating us, their customer journey experience is horrendous. It seems that the customer service only starts when you get on the Liner. You leave thinking everyone on the voyage is your friend, but reality hits when you leave the quayside, just being treated as a shipping container before and after, based on my experience with this V224 and Cunard chartered flight chaos at Venice 2 years ago.

Last time I was on Victoria, I gave myself the lifestyle challenge to go on all the Cunard Liners but now they are not helping me, so why should give them my dreams and more importantly to them my cash!

I will look at the forum and build a picture on what to expect on Queen Elizabeth and try to pick myself up again.

Please do join our roll call for the October 12 voyage on Queen Elizabeth.

We have a fairly active roll call (for Cunard) and currently have 31 signed on. The more the merrier!

I agree with your comments regarding how the cancellation of your original cruise has been handled. It seems that Cunard is not very generous.

I was just wondering why Queen Victoria does not also have spare propellers on board, like QM2 has on deck 7, forward?

:confused:

Maybe it is a single piece propellor design (certainly looks like it on the photo which is from http://www.oceanliners.com/library/liners/queen-victoria/) rather than the segmented versions on QM2.

QV - looks like a single piece

propellor.jpg

QM2 - segmented with removal blades

011601pic1.jpg

If they were able to travel at reduced speed it suggests a failure somewhere in the electrical or diesel part of the propulsion system rather than the big spinning thingies.

May I add my sincere sympathies to those who have had their voyage cancelled so late in the day. We are looking at the same thing next year and I would be spitting mad if it had happened to me - I'd be thinking the offer of a 15% credit would be the most enormous insult.

I am no expert of course, but that looks like a propeller shaft and rudder to me in the first photo. Does QV have propeller shafts and a rudder? Or two steerable pods? And that propeller looks a little "old fashioned" compared with newer screws. Of course, I am usually wrong about these things, sorry.

The value of the OBC that we have lost cancels out the measly 15% we have been given for losing our holiday at this late date......................

If you are deeply unhappy, here's a thought, for you and anyone else in the UK. Try the Small Claims Court.

It costs peanuts and there is zero comeback on you if you lose your case. Cunard cannot claim any of their court costs back on you (or so I believe, but speak to your local CAB to confirm).

Yes, I know that the parent is American and the ships are registered in Timbuktu and their T's and C's say they can make you walk the gangplank and charge you for the privilege. Yada, yada, yada. There is a provision in UK law about unfair contract conditions and they are not reciprocating the terms as if you wanted to cancel 5 weeks out. I'm sure there are half a dozen other ways to approach the failure to provide a contracted service. Ship maintenance is entirely within thier purview so there is no arguement that force majeure applies.

Pete Shanks supposedly sits in a UK office and I'm sure he wouldn't want the publicity in your local paper.

Just a thought.

I am no expert of course, but that looks like a propeller shaft and rudder to me in the first photo. Does QV have propeller shafts and a rudder? Or two steerable pods? And that propeller looks a little "old fashioned" compared with newer screws. Of course, I am usually wrong about these things, sorry.

I know nothing at all about these things, but are you thinking that it may be too old to be what the QV has? And wouldn't that effect the steering of the ship?

Maybe it is a single piece propellor design (certainly looks like it on the photo which is from http://www.oceanliners.com/library/liners/queen-victoria/) rather than the segmented versions on QM2.

QV - looks like a single piece

propellor.jpg

QM2 - segmented with removal blades

011601pic1.jpg

If they were able to travel at reduced speed it suggests a failure somewhere in the electrical or diesel part of the propulsion system rather than the big spinning thingies.

May I add my sincere sympathies to those who have had their voyage cancelled so late in the day. We are looking at the same thing next year and I would be spitting mad if it had happened to me - I'd be thinking the offer of a 15% credit would be the most enormous insult.

.pro

Many thanks, Chunky2219, for this and yes, the propulsion systems of the two Queens in question differ very much from one another. QM2's are even more sophisticated, and this makes her "behaviour" at sea and especially on the North Atlantic so unique.

She has two azipods but in the photograph it does look like a prop shaft to me, but it might be something else altogether. :confused:

Archived