Queen Victoria - Adriatic Discovery departing 3 October 2012 has been CANCELED

zider

I am gutted! My wife and I were booked on the cruise that Cunard cancelled at short notice.

Here, here!

Cunard have offered a 15% credit, but I would welcome your thoughts on a few points:

• The 15% credit must be used to "book another cruise no later than 31/12 of the year after the date of the cancelled cruise". Is this 31/12/12 or 31/12/13?

I take this to mean 31/12/13 but we have transfered to the Med cruise in Nov '12 onboard QV so I can't be certain.

• The T&Cs state that "the 15% credit does not exclude the Guest from claiming more if he/she is entitled to do so or from requesting that compensation be provided in a different form". What on earth does this actually mean?

Sorry, no idea!

• In Cunard's letter to me they state that "we will consider the refund of reasonable expenses incurred as a result of this cancellation". What are reasonable expenses? My wife and I bought a considerable amount of clothes especially for this cruise. I cannot return these and I have no other use for them! Are these reasonable?

They won't even transfer your onboard credit so I would be surprised if they covered clothes. The call centre staff are particularly unpleasant and unhelpful about what they will do for you.

Your opinion, advice and in particular experience (if you were going to be in the same boat, so to speak) would be appreciated!

We were devastated to hear we would not be going, but as someone else said, there are far worse things that could happen and if the engine needs a repair it needs a repair, we were just unlucky. We are quite pleased with our new booking but wish it was not so near Christmas. We paid quite a lot less for the new cruise and received the rest back promptly. I was even lucky enough to get my 'non-transferable' hotel booking transfered by the lovely lady I spoke to at the hotel so I do not need to claim for that. My one big grievance is that they are refusing to transfer my large OBC as I have transfered to another cruise. Despite the fact that I had to transfer as they cancelled the cruise.

I also fail to see why the call centre staff that you have to deal with have to be so unpleasant when you ring them to ask. OK, they have probably had an earfull from some customers, but that is no reason to treat everyone badly.

What have you been offered by Cunard?

Nothing beyond the 15% off our new voyage. How about you?

Camgirl, I remember your post about them not transferring your OBC. That is not right. YOU did not make the decision to cancel, so you should not loose that OBC. I'd keep calling, maybe ask to speak to a supervisor.

I agree. The transfer of OBC should be automatic. Don't be put off by a call-centre robot reading from a script, although you shouldn't have to, keep on at them. Take names, write down dates/times of calls. Don't let them win. They cancelled the voyage, not you. Good luck :) .

Thanks for your support.

The call centre people were adament I could not transfer the OBC. I have tried writing as well but have had nothing back yet. The trouble is when I call the number I am worried I will end up getting really angry and making a fool of myself, which is not going to help at all. I am not angry about the cancellation, just disappointed. The engines need repairing, we just happened to have booked on the cruise that was cancelled to repair them. The only thing that is making me cross is losing our OBC which was a decent amount and would make a huge difference to what we can and can't do during the cruise.

The letter only went on thursday so I will give them a bit longer to reply and see if I get anywhere. If not I will have to try the phone again and try to bite my tongue! I am open to any suggestions that might work.

Thanks for your support.

The call centre people were adament I could not transfer the OBC. I have tried writing as well but have had nothing back yet. The trouble is when I call the number I am worried I will end up getting really angry and making a fool of myself, which is not going to help at all. I am not angry about the cancellation, just disappointed. The engines need repairing, we just happened to have booked on the cruise that was cancelled to repair them. The only thing that is making me cross is losing our OBC which was a decent amount and would make a huge difference to what we can and can't do during the cruise.

The letter only went on thursday so I will give them a bit longer to reply and see if I get anywhere. If not I will have to try the phone again and try to bite my tongue! I am open to any suggestions that might work.[/quot

Camgirl, sorry to hear about your cancelled cruise. I know how disappointed you must be.

Did the people at Cunard have any explanation for the refusal of the OBC's? Is it possible you tell them the OBC's had a great deal to do with you booking that particular cruise to begin with and without them it will be impossible to enjoy the experience because you were counting on them for the extras? Have you asked to speak to a supervisor or someone in charge? Don't give up and good luck. As has been already said, it just isn't right.

Good luck.

Gail

I agree. The transfer of OBC should be automatic. Don't be put off by a call-centre robot reading from a script, although you shouldn't have to, keep on at them. Take names, write down dates/times of calls. Don't let them win. They cancelled the voyage, not you. Good luck :) .

If a travel agent was involved then have them do the heavy lifting. That refusal sounds so strange. Sorry for everyone who got bumped, it must be very disappointing. I remember how we felt when the volcano led to the cancellation of our trip. Not the same situation but the same feeling.

Good luck and good voyages ahead.

Camgirl......don't accept their refusal to transfer your OBC. THEY gave you that when you booked......you'd have spent it on the cruise that THEY cancelled out from under you. At the virtual last minute. What on earth can be their logic in refusing to transfer it.

I had a similar situation with Cunard. I'd booked, onboard, a Med cruise which we really weren't that enthused with but booked because our friends wanted it. We got double OBC...$750 for each of us for the booking. Nothing was said about it not being transferable. At the time I asked the onboard representative that specific question since I was sure we'd switch to go back to Norway....which we did. She actually wrote on the booking that it would be transferable should we change our mind

When we switched Cunard refused to transfer the OBC, despite us providing them with the written booking where it was clearly stated we could. Thank goodness for a diligent TA who went to bat for us....it took awhile, and the threat of canceling completely, but she was able to get it transferred to the Norway cruise.

There is NO reasonable excuse for them stone walling you this way. DO you have a TA who can get to the right person for you? Don't give up!! And don't listen to the uninformed personnel they have in the call center.

Cheers...and good luck, Penny

“You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water” Rabindranath Tagore

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted land trips in my own stunning country

Oct 2012....OBX

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

Several North Atlantic crossings from childhood thru college on ships of the old Norwegian America line and Swedish America Line...RIP to those marvelous old ships

Thanks for your support.

The letter only went on thursday so I will give them a bit longer to reply and see if I get anywhere. If not I will have to try the phone again and try to bite my tongue! I am open to any suggestions that might work.

Originally Posted by pepperrn viewpost.gif

My suggestion to you also would be not to give up. You are in the right! Keep asking to speak to someone 'higher up'. Keep emailing. You should never have been put in the position that you had (have) to be the one working hard and enduring so much stress to get what should have been extended to you in the beginning.

The way that Cunard in this instance has treated their customers is horrible.Having to cancel the cruise because of a problem is acceptable but displaying such poor customer relations is not acceptable.

Speaks very poorly of their organization and leaves people who do have future cruises booked with them wondering if they can trust their plans to such a company.

I hope that in the end that Cunard does the right thing by you and the others.

My best wishes to you.

There is NO reasonable excuse for them stone walling you this way. DO you have a TA who can get to the right person for you? Don't give up!! And don't listen to the uninformed personnel they have in the call center.

Penny, we did as you did, booked onboard and received double OBC each. We then transfered the booking to our TA. They (the TA) were incredibly helpful when sorting out the cancellation and re-booking but told me Cunard would NOT transfer the credit. I don't think they would be much help on this. It was the same when we asked for an anniversary package just before they were scrapped. The TA simply said we wouldn't get it and I ended up having to deal with Cunard direct to sort it myself, or lose it. We got the package.

Again, thanks for the support. It helps that other people think it is wrong and that I am doing the right thing.

Camgirl......don't accept their refusal to transfer your OBC. THEY gave you that when you booked......you'd have spent it on the cruise that THEY cancelled out from under you. At the virtual last minute. What on earth can be their logic in refusing to transfer it.

I had a similar situation with Cunard. I'd booked, onboard, a Med cruise which we really weren't that enthused with but booked because our friends wanted it. We got double OBC...$750 for each of us for the booking. Nothing was said about it not being transferable. At the time I asked the onboard representative that specific question since I was sure we'd switch to go back to Norway....which we did. She actually wrote on the booking that it would be transferable should we change our mind

When we switched Cunard refused to transfer the OBC, despite us providing them with the written booking where it was clearly stated we could. Thank goodness for a diligent TA who went to bat for us....it took awhile, and the threat of canceling completely, but she was able to get it transferred to the Norway cruise.

Penny, so sorry this happened to you also and the fact you had it in writing and they weren't going to honor the transfer of OBC until someone had to 'fight' for it is beyond the pale.

Did Cunard always treat their customers this way or is this a new way of their doing business............very poorly, I might add.

Again, sorry but glad you did get what should have been yours from the beginning.

Penny, we did as you did, booked onboard and received double OBC each. We then transfered the booking to our TA. They (the TA) were incredibly helpful when sorting out the cancellation and re-booking but told me Cunard would NOT transfer the credit. I don't think they would be much help on this. It was the same when we asked for an anniversary package just before they were scrapped. The TA simply said we wouldn't get it and I ended up having to deal with Cunard direct to sort it myself, or lose it. We got the package.

Again, thanks for the support. It helps that other people think it is wrong and that I am doing the right thing.

Camgirl....so sorry your TA doesn't seem to be going to bat for you. They should. A good one will go that extra mile for a client, just as mine did for us.

I'd have probably just cancelled out of disgust for Cunard's actions and booked another cruise line had it not been for her tenacity. I was going to Norway, and the Lofoten Islands, with or without Cunard at that point. Especially as I was in the right and they weren't. Just as I, and obviously so many others on here believe that you are in the right.

So don't give up. I know the call centers go out of their way to not connect you with a supervisor but be insistent. Are you a World Club member? Go to them for help getting to the right person. Just don't take this refusal as the last word.....I am living proof it is not. And we had a wonderful time spending every single cent of that $1500 OBC!! I made sure not to leave one penny of it for them to take back!

Cheers, Penny

“You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water” Rabindranath Tagore

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted land trips in my own stunning country

Oct 2012....OBX

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

Several North Atlantic crossings from childhood thru college on ships of the old Norwegian America line and Swedish America Line...RIP to those marvelous old ships

I spoke to two supervisors. They were very rude and nasty.

I told them that if Cunard treat the passengers like dirt they would have no compunction of doing it to them in the future, so they should get off their high horses.

I was told that when when the call centre staff were being prepared for the onslaught of calls, they were told there was to be absolutely NO OBC credit transferred to other bookings. That would have come from the top.

I've written to Peter Shanks but it was really to get it off my chest as this has put me right off Cunard/Carnival. There are plenty of other cruise lines, holiday companies etc. who will be happy to have my money. I don't need them.

So to sum up.

There was a mechanical problem, which was not expected, is not a safety issue and as soon as reasonable possible the ship is going to be dry docked for repairs.

This has led to the cancellation of 1 voyage, with customers being informed as soon as possible.

They have given 115% of the fare back as compensation,.

However because they can't magic a new ship out of thin air, people are upset that at the spaces on other cruises available.

Similarly they are upset that Cunard don't break their T&Cs and refund 150% of their fare.

What company in what industry would give 150% of customers fares as a refund, in this case equally many hundreds of thousands of dollars? Some people i feel need a slight reality check.

So to sum up.

There was a mechanical problem, which was not expected, is not a safety issue and as soon as reasonable possible the ship is going to be dry docked for repairs.

This has led to the cancellation of 1 voyage, with customers being informed as soon as possible.

However because they can't magic a new ship out of thin air, people are upset that at the spaces on other cruises available.

Similarly they are upset that Cunard don't break their T&Cs and refund 150% of their fare.

What company in what industry would give 150% of customers fares as a refund, in this case equally many hundreds of thousands of dollars? Some people i feel need a slight reality check.

I think you have missed the point. And I can't be bothered to tell you how or why. Comments like this help no one.

I think you have missed the point. And I can't be bothered to tell you how or why. Comments like this help no one.

Exactly. Thank you.

Originally Posted by OarToOar
viewpost.gif

Not sure where you are getting 150 per cent? They are giving the customer 100 per cent of the customers own money back as they couldn't provide the service they were hired to provide. On top of that Cunard have offered a 15% credit on another cruise booking- either I'm misunderstanding something or that doesn't add up to 150 per cent.

As far as what company would treat customers better, I posted an example earlier on in this thread of what RCCL extended to their customers who lost two days of their cruise earlier in September due to a topical storm. They went over and beyond what people expected and even paid for out of pocket expenses for food and lodging while they waited for the cruiseship to return to port. Plus a generous OBC.

I spoke to two supervisors. They were very rude and nasty.

That is not a way to win people over to your line or keep return customers. The least a business can do is provide training to their staff to answer people in a dignified and kind way. It cost the company zero to do that.

People deserve the OBC that they lost because it was theirs before Cunard had to cancel their cruise. They would have had to honor it if the cruise had not been cancelled so to not honor it makes no sense.

I think the damage that Cunard is doing to their used to be stellar reputation is very sad and it erodes people's trust in their product. It certainly has mine.

Some people i feel need a slight reality check.

I feel Cunard needs a reality check on good customer service and I hope you never encounter a time when you get treated as poorly as those who have shared their concerns in this thread.

So to sum up.

An interesting summation.

May I suggest that you check your facts and the math before you suggest that "some people need a slight reality check".

Cunard is not offering 150% refund, as you postulated, unless you are aware of facts not previously known on this thread? If so, please share details. Regards, -S.

Hi Salacia,

You know, that never entered my head, I guess because I don't fly and a cruise for me has always been a train and cab fare away. But airfare is certainly something to consider and I would think that would be the responsibility of the cruise line. I haven't read that they were going to reinburse for airfare. Is that what all the talk about insurance is all about? I would think that seeing the cancellation is in no way the fault of the passenger, that Cunard should certainly be responsilbe for compensation for airfare without a doubt.

Gail

Hi The Real PM. I know what you mean - so nice not to fly to join the ship, that is what I've enjoyed about Cunard voyages departing from NY. But since Cunard reduced voyages from NY, I've been looking at voyages departing from Southampton with the idea of flying to meet the ship. But now that I see how passengers are treated if their voyage is cancelled, I'm re-thinking my plans. Still many places in the Americas I haven't seen yet that don't involve flying. Plenty of voyages on river ships and sailing ships :) -Cheers, -S.

Thanks for your support.

If you are in the UK and booked in the UK then contact ABTA. They solved a dispute I had with RCI.

Very often the knowledge that ABTA is getting involved solves the problem ;)

According to the BBC,QV suffered a mechanical failure yesterday... "Part of the ship's propulsion system failed on Monday, meaning it was forced to sail at speeds 10% lower than usual." More at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-19552231

Anyway, since this incident just happened yesterday, Cunard seems to have responded pretty quickly in terms of notifiying passengers about the cancelled cruise. Maybe when things settle down a bit, Cunard's response to requests for adjustments might be better organized?

Hmmm, there are at least two people , myself and another who does not write on this board who are not suprised at this event.

On the Panama Canal cruise back in Feb/Mch, approaching a port , the QV hit and became stuck on a sand bank. I was at a lecture being given by an ex Scotlnd Yard Detective, when there was a great thud, the whole ship shuddered, the engines screamed and everyone was on edge wondering what the h*** had happened .

According to the ships officers/Pursers desk etc the whole incident did not happen, they completely denied knowing even about the thud and the ship shaking.

My friend Ginny was up on deck , when she heard the thud she went to the rail and then photographed what she saw. (By the way Ginny has been associated with ships for years) Her photos show QV on the bank, the birds are literally walking on the sand beside the ships hull, Some shots later there are 3 tugs , pushing and pulling at the QV (at this time on board I could hear the pods and engines going full blast).

Finally we came loose and proceeded to the port,late to arrive of course "due to congestation at the dockside"

QV had trouble keeping speed, and later cruises reported on here mentioned late arrivals and missed ports for past few months. I am sure that the trouble just now being reported happened that day, and Cunard knew there might be damage within hours of the event, but as I have already written, the ships officers denied all knowledge of any such incident. (and I am sure the HO will also insist it never happened, but Ginny has the photos )

Cunard were trying to keep it all quiet, hoping they could conceal the facts until a "normal maintainance check up". They certainly could have worked out all the details in relationship to passenger cancellations..

Hey, on this subject, has anybody received any of their monies back from the cancelled Adriatic cruise ?. Once our cruise was cancelled,we found another suitable one with Celebrity and obviously in view of the closeness of the sailing date, paid for the full voyage cost for my wife and I.

I am now chasing both my TA and Cunard for a firm date as to when I will receive my fare refund, so far without success. I have been told "within seven days" (that is well gone, "within 14 days" (that's today), we'll see what happens.

Not a fortune to some people I know, but deposit paid last November, balance paid in June - WHERE IS MY £5,000 .................

I have now received a reply to my letter to Peter Shanks, the letter has been written by Lesley Cardy, Customer Solution Executive.

"Peter Shanks has taken note of your comments, sorry you have cancelled your February yoyage and hope you change your mind and rebook with Cunard in the future."

No, I don't think I will be changing my mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from replacement cruise on QE which was paid for seperately

found no refund no OBC no reply to letter sent nearly three weeks ago

great customer care cunard

realise we are only small fry but will not be back

Archived