Flying out of San Juan

kam2718

I am sailing the Carnival Victory on Sept 30 and returning on Oct 7th at 7am (I know it might be later with customs or any other unexpected problems)

I have read that getting anything before a 11am flight would be a waste. Now would an 11am flight work or would that still be cutting it to close. I would sign up for luggage express so I would only have to deal with security.

Thank you

JMHO, but I wouldn't do it.

Luggage Express is not available for cruises out of San Juan - most likely has to do with the Agricultural Inspection in addition to Security. Besides - SJU is a total nightmare on Sundays because of the cruise ships.....

Last time I departed from San Juan, we were through security and at our gate before 9 a.m. We left the ship by self-departure as soon as we were allowed, quickly went through customs, and caught a cab straight to the airport. At the time their was barely any line through security and agricultural inspection. I would be very comfortable with an 11 a.m flight.

However, if you arrive at the airport later in the morning then the lines will be much longer. So you can't dawdle getting off the ship if you want to fly out early. I think noonish is the safest bet though.

Last time I departed from San Juan, we were through security and at our gate before 9 a.m. We left the ship by self-departure as soon as we were allowed, quickly went through customs, and caught a cab straight to the airport. At the time their was barely any line through security and agricultural inspection. I would be very comfortable with an 11 a.m flight.

However, if you arrive at the airport later in the morning then the lines will be much longer. So you can't dawdle getting off the ship if you want to fly out early. I think noonish is the safest bet though.

This is what we are hoping for. We have an 11:15 flight and was told by someone at Carnival that this is doable if we do self-assist departure early and to be sure and let them know as soon as possible that this is our plan. She also said NOT to take the Carnival transportation. Just curious, how long did it take you to get from the port to the airport. We have heard it's 45 minutes for the 8 mile trip.

I am sailing the Carnival Victory on Sept 30 and returning on Oct 7th at 7am (I know it might be later with customs or any other unexpected problems)

I have read that getting anything before a 11am flight would be a waste. Now would an 11am flight work or would that still be cutting it to close. I would sign up for luggage express so I would only have to deal with security.

Thank you

I wouldn't do it, but it is probably doable. Just keep in mind that if the ship is late or not cleared by customs, you may be delayed, not the worst thing to happen and it may cost some $ to change a flight. This almost never happens, they all work very hard so it doesn't.

Be ready to go, carry off your own luggage and maybe have the phone number for a taxi so he is ready and waiting for you. Of course there are TONS of taxis there waiting. :)

This is what we are hoping for. We have an 11:15 flight and was told by someone at Carnival that this is doable if we do self-assist departure early and to be sure and let them know as soon as possible that this is our plan. She also said NOT to take the Carnival transportation. Just curious, how long did it take you to get from the port to the airport. We have heard it's 45 minutes for the 8 mile trip.

!5 minutes is all- taxis are plentiful and quick- never had a problem getting to and from the airport.

It should take about 15 minutes to get to the airport once you are in a taxi for travel on the weekends, longer during the week. I'm taking an 8:55 am flight, I have a backup plan, and I'm not that worried.

Boy, you are reallly brave! i'm not sure I blame you though, I hate sitting around the airport, but I'd be nervous with a flight that early:)

It should take about 15 minutes to get to the airport once you are in a taxi for travel on the weekends, longer during the week. I'm taking an 8:55 am flight, I have a backup plan, and I'm not that worried.

8:55am?!?!?! Boy, are you brave! ;)

Lots of factors went into my decision to book such an early flight: I am in a suite so should be one of the first off the ship, traveling with one other person, only need to find two bags, frequent travelers, we know how to move quickly, flight is on a Saturday, so minimal traffic, I know SJU airport very well having been there more than 30 times (no fruit!!), and I can check in at the first class counter or use a kiosk (will also check in by computer the day before). My biggest concern is getting through security at SJU, because my last experience there was very slow. My friend and I are flying on different flights (his flight is 45 minutes later!), so my rebook would only be for one seat (I have airline status), and I think I will beat most people to the airport. There are several flights a day to my destination on my carrier, and if need be I can connect giving me more options. I also wouldn't be terribly inconvenienced by staying an extra day if necessary. There is some risk, and this isn't for everyone, but I will be as prepared as I can be and then hope for the best.

Archived