Purchasing alcohol in ports??

dmc6469

Been reading a few posts that say if you have alcohol, the ship will take it away. But what about if you go to port and buy some of the local liquor (rum, etc)? Are you not allowed to since they will take it away? I know years ago when we 1st cruised and went to Mexico my mom and I each bought 2 bottles of alcohol and nothing was questioned.

Been reading a few posts that say if you have alcohol, the ship will take it away. But what about if you go to port and buy some of the local liquor (rum, etc)? Are you not allowed to since they will take it away? I know years ago when we 1st cruised and went to Mexico my mom and I each bought 2 bottles of alcohol and nothing was questioned.

You can purchase it in any port, however, they do not allow you to take alcohol back to your cabin to drink during your cruise. Some ports do have better prices but Carnival will price-match. Some PAX take a photo of the lower port prices. If you don't walk past the drop-off table with your purchases, they will hold it and deliver everyones booze to their cabins the last evening on a big cart.

Oh good, thank you. I don’t want to drink it onboard, its to take home, so that’s fine that they will hold it until the last night. Thanks everyone.

You can almost always buy a couple extra bottles duty-free and Customs will let you slide as long as you declare it. I think the actual allowance is 1 bottle per adult but they don't want to mess with the paperwork and nearly never charge extra duty/tax.

• Exemption of USD 200 worth of dutiable items:

For residents that travelled abroad more than once in a 30-day period or who have been out of the country for at least 48 hours. If the worth of the items brought in exceeds the above USD200 then the whole amount is dutiable. You may include with the $200 exemption your choice of the following:

- 50 cigarettes and

- 10 cigars and

- 150 ml (5 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages or

- 150 ml (5 fl. oz.) of perfume containing alcohol.

• Exemption of USD 800 worth of dutiable items:

For residents who have been out of the country at least 48 hours and their duty-free exemption was not used in the preceding 30 days. The duty-free allowances may include the following maximum quantities of:

- Tobacco products : 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars

- Persons of 21 years or older 1L of alcohol

- other goods for personal use

• Exemption of USD 1,600 worth of dutiable items:

For U.S. residents that are travelling from U.S. insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa or Guam)or for residents that are coming back from U.S. insular possessions and to the countries of the Caribbean Basin or Andean countries.

• The exemption constitutes the following:

- USD 1,600 worth of items originated only from the U.S. insular countries or in the instance of travel to U.S. insular possessions and to the Caribbean Basin or Andean countries the worth of articles can amount up to USD 1,600 but the worth of the articles originated in the latter cannot exceed USD 800, otherwise a duty will need to be paid.

- The tobacco allowance for the USD 1,600 exemption is up to 1,000 cigarettes but only 200 can be of the Caribbean Basin or Andean origin (as all allowance for duty free tobacco coming from foreign countries cannot excess 200.)

- The alcohol allowance as a part of the USD 1,600 exemption can constitute of up to five litres but only 4 litres can be of the Caribbean Basin or Andean origin.

Archived