Carnival Destiny Sept. 3 Cruise Review with Pictures

cdillon23

Are you aware that the Carnaval Destiny will end her career at the end of february 2013. The ship will go under a big refit of 49 days and 150$ millions. The ship will be rename Carnaval Sunshine and will do her initial cruise from Venise the 12 of April 2013.

Boucalatrem

Enjoying your review. Was the muster drill on Deck 4 on in various lounges? Not looking forward to standing in the heat, hope everyone behaves so it goes quickly since they are being so strict these days.

No waiting in lounges. They did all the instructions on the PA and then sounded the alarm. We then went to our muster station. We waited there till everyone was there then they did a life jacket demonstration. After that they released us.

After sail away we went back and unpacked our rooms. I had a missing bag so I mentioned it to my room steward and he suggested I go to guest services. The Guest services line was long. Took me 30 minutes to get through it only to have the person tell me that sometimes it takes a little longer to get our bags. She did call and the luggage people said all luggage was delivered so she suggested I wait a little longer and then come back to fill out a missing luggage form. I decided to head back to the room to finish unpacking and when I got there my steward said he found the bag and put it in my room. He found it on the deck above us. He was very helpful and all week he went above and beyond. After all this I went to the Criterion lounge to meet my wife and kids. It was Camp Carnival Orientation. We had late dining so after this we went back to the top deck to hang out and let the kids swim. Here are some pictures from sunset.

20120903-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-174.jpg

20120903-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-191.jpg

After we let the kids swim some we went back to get ready for dinner. This is where we started to notice the size of the room. It is hard getting 4 people cleaned up in such a small place. We managed though. By the end of the week I was taking my DS out while the girls got ready, then we would go back and get ready ourselves.

I have to be very honest at this part of the review/journal. I read a lot about the food on carnival not being very good. I have to totally disagree with this opinion. Dinner became the highlight of the week for me. The food was good, tasty and plentiful. I did not get pictures of all the food we ate but I did get some so I will post what I got on those days.

20120903-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-211.jpg

Ready for dinner.

20120903-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-212.jpg

20120903-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-213.jpg

20120903-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-214.jpg

PIRATES!

After dinner we walked around for a bit. We decided to take the kids back to the cabin and got them ready for bed. They watched a little tv and my wife and I went and hung out with the other couple who was with us. We watched some Superstar Live, which is karaoke with a live band, and then went to the Apollo Room for some sing a long piano music. The Superstar live was hit and miss. Some people were pretty bad but having fun and some were pretty good. The guys name in the piano bar was Billy. He did pretty good, played to the audience well. Before we realized it was 2:00 AM. I have never stayed up so late before on a cruise before. This became the norm for this trip. It was a lot of fun. As crazy as it sounds, that was just day one. The rest of the trip will be a little quicker as I seemed to take less pictures as time went on.

After dinner we walked around for a bit. We decided to take the kids back to the cabin and got them ready for bed. They watched a little tv and my wife and I went and hung out with the other couple who was with us. We watched some Superstar Live, which is karaoke with a live band, and then went to the Apollo Room for some sing a long piano music. The Superstar live was hit and miss. Some people were pretty bad but having fun and some were pretty good. The guys name in the piano bar was Billy. He did pretty good, played to the audience well. Before we realized it was 2:00 AM. I have never stayed up so late before on a cruise before. This became the norm for this trip. It was a lot of fun. As crazy as it sounds, that was just day one. The rest of the trip will be a little quicker as I seemed to take less pictures as time went on.

Enjoying your review so far, looking forward in reading more.

Day 2 - At Sea

I woke up a little late. My wife and kids got up before I did and went to the dinning room for breakfast. My wife has a gluten allergy so it was much easier for us to eat in the dining room then at the buffet. I did, however, eat breakfast at the buffet this morning. Another long wait. The food was ok I just couldn't believe how long it took. So I patiently waited got my food and found my wife and daughter on the pool deck laying out. I don't like to lay out in the son. I get hot and sweaty and it is just not that enjoyable to me. So I sat for a little bit to please my wife, yes that is the only reason I did it, and then wondered the ship for a little bit. We finally called the other family we were with and found out the wife was sea sick and struggling to even get out of bed. The sea was a little rough but it wasn't to bad I didn't think but it was effecting her pretty bad. Here is a picture I took while wondering around.

20120904-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-4.jpg

Beautiful!

After wondering around I found my wife and we decided to eat lunch in the dining room. It is nice to go in and be waited on. I ordered some Mongolian beef and salad and when I got it there was hard crusted food on the bottom of the plate and even a piece of an order ticket stuck to it. Pretty disgusting but I understand sometimes dish washers mess up. Not a big deal to me I just asked the server for a different one. When I did that you would have thought I asked him swim back to Miami. I, and those at my table, heard the server complaining to his assistant that I wanted another one and even used some curse words. I tried not to pay any attention, got my new meal and enjoyed it.

After lunch my son went to Camp Carnival, he said it was ok. Not a lot of kids on the boat this week so he said it was a little boring. While he was there I went back to the room and took a nap. Soon it would be time to get ready for formal night!

After we let the kids swim some we went back to get ready for dinner. This is where we started to notice the size of the room. It is hard getting 4 people cleaned up in such a small place. We managed though. By the end of the week I was taking my DS out while the girls got ready, then we would go back and get ready ourselves.

I have to be very honest at this part of the review/journal. I read a lot about the food on carnival not being very good. I have to totally disagree with this opinion. Dinner became the highlight of the week for me. The food was good, tasty and plentiful. I did not get pictures of all the food we ate but I did get some so I will post what I got on those days.

20120903-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-211.jpg

Ready for dinner.

20120903-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-212.jpg

20120903-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-213.jpg

20120903-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-214.jpg

PIRATES!

aww... there faces says it all ... thanks for posting .. makes me want to book another trip and another and another ... lol

Formal night! I have to be honest. I am not a fan of ties because I feel like I am being choked. But my wife loves formal night so it was important to me. It was another night of a tight space to get ready but we managed. After we got ready we went to deck 5 to get pictures taken by some of the Carnival photogs. It was very, very crowded as you could imagine. Seemed like all 2500 people on the ship were on the same floor trying to do the same thing. We did buy one photo of us all dressed up. My wife loved it so it was the best $22 I could spend! :D

20120904-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-7.jpg

My DD not wanting to wake up from her nap! Just like a soon to be teenager.

20120904-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-11.jpg

All dressed up!

20120904-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-12.jpg

DD thinking I am paparazzi!

20120904-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-16.jpg

The kids all dressed up.

20120904-CarnivalDestiny2012-003-17.jpg

Everyone looks so nice!

Edited by cdillon23

We were on the same cruise and had a blast! Were you in the Universe or the Galaxy dining room? We were in the Galaxy for the 9/3-8 cruise and the Universe for the 9/8-13 trip. Liked the Matre'd much better in the Universe--he was a lot more fun.

BTW, love your pictures! Did we have the same camera? Your pics looks very familiar.

Edited by txmom11

We were on the same cruise and had a blast! Were you in the Universe or the Galaxy dining room? We were in the Galaxy for the 9/3-8 cruise and the Universe for the 9/8-13 trip. Liked the Matre'd much better in the Universe--he was a lot more fun.

BTW, love your pictures! Did we have the same camera? Your pics looks very familiar.

We were in the Universe. It was a lot of fun...and a...1...2... That always cracked me up.

The camera I have is a Nikon D40x. I told my wife I knew some people were doing the B2B...so jealous! :D

Hello fellow Hoosier. We are from Anderson so not too far from Muncie either. Bummer about your traffic ticket. I-69 ???

Love your review so far. We are sailing on the Liberty 04/13/13 and just bought our airline tickets from Indy to FLL for 04/12. Got 4 tickets on AirTran for $150 pp- direct flt too. So happy. Our return date 04/20/13 has not been released by AirTran yet but we are hoping to get the same great rate and a direct flt coming home on the 20th as well. We are keeping our fingers crossed until the remainder of the dates come out next month.

Also, thanks for the shuttle info. We are staying pre-cruise in FLL and will need a shuttle to the POM and then back to FLL airport so I will keep SAS in mind. Your pre-cruise hotel looks beautiful. Hotels in Miami in April were $$$ so we booked at a FLL airport hotel for a lot less.

You have a nice looking family and can't wait to read the rest of your review.

:):)

Edited by Hoosiercouple