Flight time from FLL after a Transatlantic cruise

Bar&Beach

We've heard that TA's might take longer to disembark than a regular cruise. Should a flight time a little after 12 noon be OK, or do we have to look for something later?

Yes it can take longer to clear. We are taking our 5 TA in October. Some years have been very slow to get off the ship and clear customs. Remember all passengers and crew must clear first. This can be some of the crews first time in the US and immigration can take longer than a caribbean cruise. Also it depends on how many agents are on duty to check passengers.

We try not to get a flight before noon. I would try for a flight that is noon or after.

Pam

After our TA Cruise we had a 2:00 pm flight. FLL was extremely busy. We make our flight just fine. I would also check to see how many other ships are in port that day.

Hope you have as much fun as we did on ours.

The good thing is that at Port Everglades (FLL) the airport is fairly close and an easy taxi ride of usually 20 minutes or so. The bad news is that FLL (the airport) is very busy esp on Sat and Sun and during holidays. So I would allow

1 hr from leaving ship, thru customs and to airport and at least 2 hours at airport to check bags if needed and clear security and a 30 min buffer to get to gate etc.....so all that being said i would say booking after 1230 pm should work...fingers crossed. Good advice to check on how many other ships are in port that day, what day of the week it is and whether it might be cheaper to wait and catch a late aft flight if that is possible for you...IMHO

You may want to consider the 'walk off' option. We always do this in FLL whether TA or not. You're one of the first ones off the ship and you can hail a cab and be at the airport a few minutes later. The downside is handling your own luggage for disembarkation. It's not difficult if you have one large suitcase & a carry-on & perhaps an over-the-shoulder bag. Having said that, there's always a possibility of a delayed docking. It may be quite difficult (or impossible) to switch to a later flight the day of disembarkation in the event the ship is delayed.

Archived