Georgetown Cayman Is Excursion Question

Claybuster58

We are on HAL for the Dec 9 Western Caribbean cruise. There are a couple of excursions that look good in Georgetown but we need some input. Cheeseburger Reef Kayak and Snorkel or Reef N Rays Snorkeling? Reef N Rays goes to stingray city, which sounds better, but suggests some snorkeling experience, and we have not snorkeled. The Cheeseburger Reef excursion also goes to a coral reef but then to the Cali wreck (no stingray city). We are all fairly athletic and average swimmers. Has anyone done the Reef N Rays excursion, and do you think it would be fine for begginers? Thanks.

Reef N Rays goes to stingray city, which sounds better, but suggests some snorkeling experience, and we have not snorkeled.

You don't have to snorkel for this one, you can just stand in the water and look at the rays. This would actually be a great place for a first timer. There will be a guide to help if you need it, and you can stand up if you like.

StingrayCity.jpg

There's only 2 things to snorkling: Lay down in the water and breathe. For the rest, just enjoy the views of those cute fishies :-)

Beware however, if the water isn't really warm (during fall or spring) there's a possibility you may need to catch your breath. On our last snorkling trip (think it was in Grand Turk) there was someone who started hyperventilating because the water was still pretty cold compared to the air temp.

So, let your body adjust to the water temp.

As to get on topic: I am on the MS Nieuw Amsterdam in approx. 2 months and I'm thinking about going on the 'A Taste of Cayman' excursion.

Is think worth the price? From past experiences, things like this are either really good or either bad.

I have read some really bad reviews of the cheesburger reef excursion. This I would not recommend, especially for beginners. From what I read this excursion occurs in the main harbor, so you would be in the middle of a lot of traffic as well as plenty of diesel in the water.:eek:

Snorkeling is very easy and if you have any fear about it the stingray city sandbar is only about 3-4 foot deep which should eliminate some anxiety.

As for the taste of Cayman, it is a nice tour but you can do much of it on your own, the tortuga rum factory is nearby which is the highlight of the trip.

Archived