Origin of Celebrity's "X" logo

Al_Frescoe

I concur. I love this kind of stuff, thanks guys.

You're quite welcome. Chandris is sort of a "special interest" for me as I come from a family of Chandris passengers ;) .

My dad (a dentist) also had patients who worked for Chandris, and for the bulk carrier company OSG which once owned part of Celebrity (in the pre-RCI days).

Incidentally - and I know I'm veering straight off topic here - do you know anything about the Stromma steamboats in Stockholm? Now researching things to do ashore on our Baltic cruise on ROTTERDAM in August and a Swede suggested this to me, but didn't know much about them. I figured if I'm sitting here chatting with someone who lives in Stockholm, I might as well ask ;) . (If you want, you can answer by e-mail rather than clutter up the boards with steamboat chat.)

My dad (a dentist) also had patients who worked for Chandris, and for the bulk carrier company OSG which once owned part of Celebrity (in the pre-RCI days).

Ah OSG........... I remember them well! (Used to work for them!)

Anita

Incidentally - and I know I'm veering straight off topic here - do you know anything about the Stromma steamboats in Stockholm? Now researching things to do ashore on our Baltic cruise on ROTTERDAM in August and a Swede suggested this to me, but didn't know much about them. I figured if I'm sitting here chatting with someone who lives in Stockholm, I might as well ask ;) . (If you want, you can answer by e-mail rather than clutter up the boards with steamboat chat.)

Doug,

Please post this question in the Baltic Ports board and I will be happy to research some info for you and the rest of the board.

Skål

THANKS CANDERSON...I am not from the UK...just good old Massachusetts but I speak the language of ships. Thanks for your info.

I was on the GALILEO sailing from Boston...just after Chandris took it over. I was sitting in a lounge one afternoon when I overheard a group of businessmen discussing the future renovations and other ideas they had for Chandris and the GALILEO. It turned out to be John Chandris and his associates planning the creation of Celebrity Cruises...pretty exciting stuff now that we look back on it.

The AMERICA/AUSTRILAS was a great ship. Her dining room was one of the most beautiful rooms I have ever seen. The AMERICA was also designed by Francis Gibbs the marine architect who desinged the SS UNITED STATES.

The Chandris experience was excellent in the 1960s and early 70s. The service was all Greek and the food was Continental with some Greek specialties added. The overall atmosphere was a casual feeling of luxury with an intense night life and partying led by some great folks from Greece and England. A great time was had by all. YES...guests could go onboard with passengers before the ship sailed and they partied like there was no tomorrow!!! I can remember coolers being brought onboard for the Bon Voyage...THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!

ROSS

Archived