Are future cruise certificates really being discontinued after this month?

rwilk1129

We did the Paradise 14 day Panama cruise last November. Two days before cruise was over we went to purchase a few. Was told not available to call CCL when we got home. I called our PVP and she gave me a number to call. Only had a few days after cruise to get them. Was given the cert #s over the phone. They have long since been used with no problem. I would certainly try calling TODAY! All they can do is tell ya no.

Good luck to you!

Kat

They stopped that a few months back. Previously you could call up to 7 days after you returned from the ships that didn't have FCCs onboard (I purchased 2 last year when I got home from the Imagination). As of a few months ago, you can no longer call and get FCCs. If the desk isn't on the ship, then your out of luck.

I guess now if your sailing after September, your out of luck. I have 2 from my Destiny cruise but was planning on buying 2 more in November. I guess now I'm not :(. I think Carnival is screwing us repeat customers on this one :mad:

This looks pretty interesting. I'm definitely thinking about a NCL cruise out of NOLA next spring, I'll check it out. We've sailed NCL several times but left them when Star Cruises took over. I understand they've returned to the NCL that we used to like. We're booked on our 20th CCL cruise next month, but think we'll look to returning to other lines we've sailed.

The other great thing about the NCL Cruise Reward is that the certificate can be used as the deposit. Plus it is the ONLY deposit required. So if you have four booked to a cabin, you dont have to come up with $1000 to reserve the booking. Now the downside is that you will have a larger final payment but at least they are not sitting on your money.

Dave

My thoughts as well. Its not my only (or even main) reason for wanting to do so, but it makes me feel even less reason to continue to be loyal to Carnival.

This is how I feel about it, too.

DH and I always knew there would eventually be that "last straw" for us with Carnival. We think this is it. We've watched the quality of the product go down quickly over the last few years.

Although we like the lower price tag of a Carnival cruise, the cutbacks have driven us to the point that we are willing to take less cruises in order to take better cruises.

Celebrity, we're coming back.

You're really defending this stupid move by Carnival? Really? You're cool with it?:confused:

There is nothing to defend and yes, I'm fine with it.

All it takes is a modicum of advance planning to have a cruise or two in mind and then book it while on a cruise. You get the same OBC as before. I don't see anything that would prevent you from later transferring the booking to your favorite TA for a better price.

This isn't people abusing the system. This is carnival not following/enforcing their policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. There are plenty of things they could have done that could have increased profitability other than get rid of them. They could have:

1. Enforced the issue of them not being applicable to previously booked cruises

2. Increased the amount of the deposit (then they have more of your money up front)

3. Made them non-refundable or partially (understanding some states laws may not allow that but many will)

4. Limited the number people can buy to 1 per person per cruise

I don't see how it could be an issue of cost of staffing the desk on the ships, since they will still book on the ship.

There is nothing to defend and yes, I'm fine with it.

All it takes is a modicum of advance planning to have a cruise or two in mind and then book it while on a cruise. You get the same OBC as before. I don't see anything that would prevent you from later transferring the booking to your favorite TA for a better price.

I (as well as others here) don't want to spend my cruise time booking another cruise. I like to do that planning and cruise shopping at home, when I'm feeling like taking another cruise. There is a BIG difference between the ease and convenience of the FCC and the time commitment/inconvenience and hassle of onboard booking.

An FCC sitting in my safe at home has always been an incentive to make our next cruise a Carnival cruise. Booking onboard is entirely unappealing to me and I will not do it. Carnival will lose customers over this. But, as so many have pointed out, Carnival doesn't seem to care.

This is how I feel about it, too.

DH and I always knew there would eventually be that "last straw" for us with Carnival. We think this is it. We've watched the quality of the product go down quickly over the last few years.

Although we like the lower price tag of a Carnival cruise, the cutbacks have driven us to the point that we are willing to take less cruises in order to take better cruises.

Celebrity, we're coming back.

Exactly. I want to cruise other lines. I am anxious to try Royal and Disney and some interest in other lines (if the price is right). I am willing to pay a little more if the end result is worth it. The FCC thing is not the reason I am wanting to branch out, nor is the loyalty program. But the things that would make me keep coming back to Carnival would be:

1. Great price 2. perks/benefits etc that I can't get somewhere else (like a past guest party, FCC OBC, etc) and 3. Best value. #2 is gone. #1 is not as much of a factor, especially since there are deals which can make other lines in the range of price I am willing to pay (even though CCL is still cheaper). And #3, slowly slipping away as well. Maybe I am outgrowing Carnival. My upcoming cruise is with Carnival, because of the FCC and because my daughter will be 2 and old enough for Camp. But once she turns three- all bets are off.

Oops! I wish I knew of this last week, when I sent in my FCC online for my 5-day cruise. The email came earlier today showing that it was applied. If I knew about this, I would've held onto it and used it for a longer cruise, and gotten $100 instead of $50 OBC. Oh well! I guess I can book on the ship, if I know of another one I want to do, and get the OBC. When booking on the ship, can I book it for someone who is not on the sailing with me (but would be on the one I'm booking)?

I have transferred them from one cruise to another before. You might ask Carnival if they will let you "unapply" the certificate.

We are planning to book a Summer 2014 European cruise and I was going to purchase an FCC on our Victory cruise this November. I can't book on board because the Summer 2014 schedule isn't out.

Oh well, Carnival, I guess I can now scratch all Carnival ships off and will now lean towards NCL, who I will be cruising with in March 2013 and who has an awesome FCC package offer to returning customers.

Bye Bye Carnival.

There have been several times I have gone on Carnival versus the other line simply because I had one of these I could apply. The accountants look at the numbers as they pertain to the program itself in isolation, but they miss the intangibles their numbers do not clearly reflect. Too bad, I will miss the FCC's.

I am going on the 23rd so have a last chance to buy a few. But, I think I will see how good the Carnival experience is this time and see if it is time to try somebody else for awhile. My past experience with Carnival has overall been very good, but it seems they want to do away with that too!

I (as well as others here) don't want to spend my cruise time booking another cruise. I like to do that planning and cruise shopping at home, when I'm feeling like taking another cruise. There is a BIG difference between the ease and convenience of the FCC and the time commitment/inconvenience and hassle of onboard booking.

An FCC sitting in my safe at home has always been an incentive to make our next cruise a Carnival cruise. Booking onboard is entirely unappealing to me and I will not do it. Carnival will lose customers over this. But, as so many have pointed out, Carnival doesn't seem to care.

Have you priced any cruises while on board, you can get some great rates and OBC....WE are retired and are always looking for a good deal so booking on board might be a good option..You can then transfer the booking to your TA.....Dennis

[quote name='ibcnusoon']We are planning to book a Summer 2014 European cruise and I was going to purchase an FCC on our Victory cruise this November. I can't book on board because the Summer 2014 schedule isn't out.

Oh well, Carnival, I guess I can now scratch all Carnival ships off and will now lean towards NCL, who I will be cruising with in March 2013 and who has an awesome FCC package offer to returning customers.

Bye Bye Carnival.[/QUOTE]

For the record, you can't buy them on the Victory anyway.

[quote name='scperk']Have you priced any cruises while on board, you can get some great rates and OBC....WE are retired and are always looking for a good deal so booking on board might be a good option..You can then transfer the booking to your TA.....Dennis[/quote]

??? but you dont get any better deals booking onboard than you would booking on your own. they dont discount.

Not sure what you are getting at.. and I usually agree with your posts.

Archived