What's the normal dress for boarding?

cubfan49

One thing to know is that on the first night most lines relax the dress codes for dinner due to the fact that many people might still not have received their luggage in the cabins by then. I usually travel in shorts in the warm weather, dockers in cooler.

Whatever is comfortable for you, first day is usually very casual. Some passengers have been fighting planes , cabs and shuttles all day before they even get to the ship. Your bags may not get to your room before dinner, although usually they do, depending on ship size and passenger capacity.

:cool:

We were casual when we boarded the Radiance in February. The majority of cruisers were in shorts/T-shirts/capri pants. We wore our bathing suits under our clothes so in case the luggage was late arriving, we could enjoy the pool deck right away, and we did! :D

Just wanted to know, how dressed up are most people for boarding, jeans, shorts, khakis, etc.??

If this is your first cruise, you might not want to go too casual for boarding. I know on the cruises we took - not sure about other lines - the ships photographer would take your picture as you boarded under an arch that had the name of the ship and sailing date. It makes a great picture to start your photo album or just to frame and savor the memories of that wonderful experience. We usually buy that one picture and and another one taken on formal night. I usually pack more casual clothes (shorts for the warm climates) and my swimsuit in my carryon. That way, I can change immediately after boarding.

On a HAL ship, I would recommend embarkation dress for the gentleman as being nice linen slacks, open collar shirt, long sleeve with a nice blue blazer, real leather loafers with or without socks your choice.. The lady should wear a simple comfortable dress with low or no heels. Or possibly a loose fitting pair of silk or linen slacks with a man's style long sleeve shirt and a colorful scarf.

Not only will such attire get you better assistance from the porters but you will enjoy your sail away cocktail along the rail as the ship slides from the docks. Who knows you may even get picked for the Captain's table.

Al, I'd be willing to bet I'm not the first to tease you about that moniker of yours.

by the way, thanks for your input and thanks to everyone else for their comments, appears to be a wide array of opinions on this.

Bigal, Sorry, I've always thought you were a Bi gal. I was rather proud of you for being so open about it, too. If you email Laura, she can change if for you. At least that's what I;ve been told. Some people think I'm happy and live in Kansas! In reality it's what we call ourselves when we are bickering the most (Happy K family), it's a private joke between us, much more detailed than I'm willing to post.

I would think that most people wouldn't care what you wore getting on the ship because they are just trying to get in and settled. Even if you wore something unusual getting on and then never wore it on board after that, how many people would remember that it was you who had that outfit on???? The real fashion show starts after the ship starts to move. LOL. Now if you wore this strange outfit to the bon voyage party (ie---buffet as the ship is pulling out of the port), then people would remember you. Getting off the ship, you could wear almost anything, after all, you are now going home.

I'm leaving for Alaska this Saturday from SF. From my packing list notes, this is what I'm wearing:

Long sleeve shirt - I'll make sure it's a nice one for photos

Jeans

Jacket

Socks

Tennis shoes

I want to wear the heavier stuff, so I will have enough luggage space.

We love to wear tropical swimsuit coverups over our swimsuits, flip-flops and hats, even leis. You will have your picture taken right away, so start your vacation off with some flair. You can be comfortable and still look "cruisey". Our teenagers have a great time dressing tropical. Have fun!

Perhaps someone already mentioned this-it all depends on where and when you are traveling and how you're getting to port. Last trip we traveled out of Norfolk in Feb. and drove 5 hours to get there. The weather was cold and rainy. Not conducive to sundresses, shorts, etc. We needed to dress appropriately, but comfortably and reasonably warm. We were some of the last few to board, so the lifeboat drill was taking place. We didn't have photos taken then, just went straight to our cabins.

Archived