An Ocean Crossing from the 1960's

AndrewD65

So many thanks for posting these two videos! The scenes depicting the arrival of the passengers at the pier in New York, embarking the vessel, and sailing from New York brought back vivid memories of the first ocean liner sailing that I ever witnessed: R.M.S. Queen Mary. Her embarking passengers were so excited! The people watching them sail were excited! Departing on a cruise today is much fun, but there is something lacking as compared to those days of travel on the high seas.

One of my cruising regrets has been not being able to sail on one of the Italian Line ships. The Winter I had planned on doing so was the year that the Leonardo Da Vinci was forlornly docked at Pier 18 in Port Everglades with the Italian holding company--not the original Italian Lines--trying to decide what to do with her. I don't think she ever sailed another commerical voyage again.

I was able to visit the Raffello during embarkation in New York a few years before the above sad event. And, my visit then only increased my desire to sail on one of the Italian Line vessels. She was a magnificent ship!

Archived