3 Y/O to Australia/New Zealand?

MariahJ

My husband and I are interested in taking a cruise to Australia and New Zealand late next year and bringing our 3 y/o daughter. Is this a horrible plan? Leaving her with someone else is not an option. Is there a particular cruise line and ship that will be better for her? I saw that Princess has some good options in their Crown class, but there was only one sailing - Emerald Princess on Dec. 11 '13 - in this category. I don't think we want to sail so close to the holidays so this one probably won't work. Any thoughts?

What is the goal of this trip: 1) To take a cruise that just happens to make stops in Australia and New Zealand or 2) To tour Australia and New Zealand?

If you just want to be on a cruise that stops in Australia and New Zealand, then this looks like a fine itinerary. I would recommend that you fly into Sydney several days early to: 1) get over jet lag and 2) see the city.

If your goal is to tour Australia and New Zealand, then I would recommend a land tour instead of a cruise. The cruise stops in 2 large cities(Sydney, Melbourne) and 1 medium city (Hobart). These short city stops, while nice, will not give you much of a feel for Australia. Likewise, the short stops in the coastal areas of New Zealand will not give you enough time to really appreciate those areas. If you choose a land tour, plan on spending at least 2 weeks in each country. If you don't have that much time, choose either Australia or New Zealand.

I have taken a Princess cruise and while I did not do it with children, the kids I saw on board looked like they were having fun. And they do have organized activities for 3-year-olds.

We took our first trip (of many) to Australia when our elder child was 3 years old and our first trip (of several) to New Zealand when our younger was 2 years old. Both trips were great successes because it's so easy to travel with kids in those countries. There was lots to see and do, particularly outdoors, and we found playgrounds everywhere when the kids needed a break.

I encourage you to take either a cruise or a land trip Down Under with your child.

What is the goal of this trip: 1) To take a cruise that just happens to make stops in Australia and New Zealand or 2) To tour Australia and New Zealand?

Good question. The answer is not #1 because there are lots of more convenient places to take cruises, but at the same time, we have a strong preference to cruising vs land tours because we don't like to worry about driving with the LO in foreign places, and cruises are just fun. :)

We have already been to Australia. We spend a 5 days in Melbourne and a week in Tasmania back in '08, plus an overnight in Sydney due to flight delays. Our main goal is to see New Zealand and we wouldn't mind spending more time in Sydney. Actually, we'd love to snorkel the great barrier reef but that won't happen with a 3 y/o unless we take turns.

I suppose you have just convinced me that the best itinerary for us is Auckland to Sydney so we can stay a few days on either end.:D

Oops, I thought I remembered seeing an Emerald somewhere. :p

There is an Emerald Princess, but she will be sailing in Canada and the Caribbean in the fall of 2013. She is also on the wrong side of the world to cruise in the South Pacific without an extensive repositioning cruise.

Archived