New Seabourn Improvements

Iamboatman

Seabourn has announced the following improvements to its product:

There will be a new wine "upgrade" program where you can purchase vintage wines starting in September for about $200 per cruise.

Seabourn is also going to start "trunk shows" during select cruises where upscale purveyors will offer things like pearls in Asia, local gemstones in South America and amber jewelry and Faberge eggs in Russia. This summer, Camea of Antwerp is going to be offering gold and diamond jewelry as well as a couple of exclusive pieces for Seabourn. Supposedly the jewelry designers may also be onboard. I don't think this is going to be on each ship at the same time but will be cruise itinerary dependent.

Seabourn is also going to offer international (GMT) mobile telephones which will be delivered to your home pre-cruise and then returned from your home afterwards. I don't know what the fee will be.

In addition, starting June 1 Seabourn is going to offer a true concierge service by adding someone to make private arrangements in addition to the normal excursions.

The triplets are confirmed for their two-week drydock maintenance this winter: Seabourn Pride in November, Spirit in December and Legend in January. Upgrades will include the addition of flat-screen TVs and DVDs in each suite. Apparently, the Veranda Cafes will also get upgraded and will have a new approach to dinner, but what that is has not been announced yet.

Glad you posted this.

Some comments:

> wine "upgrade" program < I seem to remember an excellent wine list for those who wanted something "better" than the reasonbly good wine being served. But this keeps within the all-inclusive policy.

>"trunk shows< An interesting diversion for days at sea. But needs to be low key, not high pressure sales.

>international (GMT) mobile telephones < Offered by others now. The problem is less the cost of the phone than the price of individual calls that can be up to $3.00/minute from Europe to the US.

>private arrangements< Good idea.

We all know that (in safe places like the Caribbean and Europe) two couples can take a taxi at the pier and replicate a ship's excursion (or create their own) with more speed and comfort and lower cost than four individual excursion tickets. The reason, of course, is that (especially for the mass market ships) excursions are a major profit center and there are several levels of concessionaires plus people on board that need to be paid. (I once calculated from a cruise web site that anyone taking the most expensive excursion every day would pay more for excursions than for the trip itself!!).

Anyhow, the problems with doing it yourself are: you may not get an honest, english-speaking, knowledgeable cab driver; if the cab breaks down, the ship won't wait for you; and nobody knows where you are or who you are going with. And, of course there is the original "negotiation" with the cab driver.

So good private arrangements on a "per car" basis would be worth it to us, even if the ship makes a commission.

>Upgrades< We didn't have a problem with the TV/DVD and but most ships are upgrading as opportunity permits.

The veranda upgrade is a good move. I hope they can deal with the doors / passage from the inside to the outside seating area that get bottlenecked. More outside seating area, especially tables for two, would be welcome. So, quite frankly, would a large "no smoking" section.

Anyhow, I suspect that these moves are in answer to passenger comments which means management is actually listening. Good.

It was my understanding that the Verandah would have more indoor space because it's very crowded when it rains. Maybe there will be something to make the space more convertible. Also, the convering over the outdoor tables would be more waterproof. But then, guess we will need to wait and see.

I don't care about the TV, but movies on demand would be nice; I was never able to really watch one straight through, if they ran at all.

Jane

The phone deal sounds interesting--but to late--American Express offered a good program--with a Worldwide delivered to your home precruise--now we use ATT--we get overseas service added for 5 bucks a month--the service is good, and pretty cheap!

Hi!

Thank you for all of your great new information! Did you receive the new brochure announcing Seabourns new "personal shopper" service? What do you all think about that?

Host Dan

Hi!

Thank you for all of your great new information! Did you receive the new brochure announcing Seabourns new "personal shopper" service? What do you all think about that?

Host Dan

Dan,

I've never needed help in that department!!!!

;-)

Denyse

Archived