Paris apartments

Iamthesea

Could someone please take a look at this list (about mid page) and tell me which area of Paris would be best to rent an apartment? Thank you!

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/europe/france/ile-de-france/paris

Some like the Left Bank and some the Right..I tend toward the Right Bank when I stay in Paris...my numbers are the 9th,the 1st,the 4th,and the 7th.The 4th seems to be popular with a lot of people.I gues it also dpends on price and what you may be looking for.

Excuse my ignorance, but I am not sure what you mean by the numbers. Is this what you mean by 4? I thought that was an apartment number. Seriously, Paris has got to be the most confusing city ever to get around! :eek:

Paris Arr. 4 (Le Marais,Pompidou, Notre Dame)

The numbers refer to arrondissements ... these are districts within Paris. There are 20 arrondissements in Paris. :)

The number of the arrondissement is indicated by the last two digits in most Parisian postal codes (75001 up to 75020). The twenty arrondissements are arranged in the form of a clockwise spiral, starting in the middle of the city.

1st Louvre 2nd Bourse 3rd Temple 4th Hôtel-de-Ville 5th Panthéon 6th Luxembourg 7th Palais-Bourbon 8th Élysée 9th Opéra 10th Enclos-St-Laurent 11th Popincourt 12th Reuilly 13th Gobelins 14th Observatoire 15th Vaugirard 16th Passy 17th Batignolles-Monceau 18th Butte-Montmartre 19th Buttes-Chaumont 20th Ménilmontant.

To give you an idea of each arrondissement, here is a link to a Paris map showing the location of each arrondissement:

http://www.parisnet.com/parismap.html

The link that you provided above also shows all of the arrondissements on it. Those are the numbers to which the previous poster referred.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/europe/france/ile-de-france/paris

jill

Is this what you mean by 4? I thought that was an apartment number. Seriously, Paris has got to be the most confusing city ever to get around! :eek:

I disagree on Paris been confusing. Most of your travel should be on the Metro as it is the best way to get around. The Metro system is great and not expensive.

We enjoyed staying on the Right Bank and near the Opera in the 2nd Arrondissement. We had two Metro stations with four lines within three minutes of our hotel. That was important to us. We took Metros and walked everywhere (Opera, Place Vendome, Marais, were all close enough for easy walks).

I think that once you start doing more detailed research, everything will become clearer. Once you get to Paris, it is really not overwhelming either.

Excuse my ignorance, but I am not sure what you mean by the numbers. Is this what you mean by 4? I thought that was an apartment number. Seriously, Paris has got to be the most confusing city ever to get around! :eek:

Paris Arr. 4 (Le Marais,Pompidou, Notre Dame)

Sorry, I thought you understood the numbers were ARR's as another poster pointed out and were so noted in your link.Google a good map of Paris and it will help you better understand the layout of the city.A good guide book would not hurt either.It really is easy to get around.Think of it as getting around the sections of NYC or SF.

dogs4fun - Thank you so much for that information!

I disagree on Paris been confusing. Most of your travel should be on the Metro as it is the best way to get around. The Metro system is great and not expensive.

We enjoyed staying on the Right Bank and near the Opera in the 2nd Arrondissement. We had two Metro stations with four lines within three minutes of our hotel. That was important to us. We took Metros and walked everywhere (Opera, Place Vendome, Marais, were all close enough for easy walks).

I think that once you start doing more detailed research, everything will become clearer. Once you get to Paris, it is really not overwhelming either.

Yes, less confusing once this has been explained. ;) Unlike Rome and Barcelona, I guess this is a city where the metro is a must! Oh, and thank you for the map. ;)

Sorry, I thought you understood the numbers were ARR's as another poster pointed out and were so noted in your link.Google a good map of Paris and it will help you better understand the layout of the city.A good guide book would not hurt either.It really is easy to get around.Think of it as getting around the sections of NYC or SF.

OK, so the apartments are listed by ARR's and not apartment numbers. :D I think I have it now!

Any other opinions on best location?

Yes, less confusing once this has been explained. ;) Unlike Rome and Barcelona, I guess this is a city where the metro is a must! Oh, and thank you for the map. ;)

IMHO it is not a must as a lot of it is walkable if one likes to walk,and taking the bus is very easy for short hops rather than the metro.If I were you I would do one of the HOHO buses and use that as a way to get around on one of your days there..look at what each offers and pick one you think you would like.Tickets are good for quite some time.:D

We love the HOHO and walking! I had the impression that Paris was so much larger than the other two cities that I mentioned, where we take the HOHO and walk to all areas. Never tried the metro has it is a little intimidating to us. :o

I should have been more specific in my request for best location...I meant on where to stay. ;)

We love the HOHO and walking! I had the impression that Paris was so much larger than the other two cities that I mentioned, where we take the HOHO and walk to all areas. Never tried the metro has it is a little intimidating to us. :o

I should have been more specific in my request for best location...I meant on where to stay. ;)

The Metro is easy and inexpensive. You can't walk everywhere and you may want to grab a Metro if it's raining. The manager at our hotel (Hotel Gramont Opera) would give us a Metro map every morning with routes and connections. We did a lot of waking too as we were about a 20 minute walk to the Louvre and a little more to the Orsay.

hubofhockey ~ just LOVE that little map - saved it and will print it before our trip!

Iamtheresa ~ Last November when we began planning our trip (Rhone River cruise + 4 days pre-cruise in Paris) I felt very much like you're first post - Paris seemed SO confusing I was ready to call it quits!!

But after reading lots on the internet + CC comments + guidebooks (mostly library! and love Rick Steves) I'm feeling much more confident about spending time there! And we do plan on using the metro lots and lots!! (Maybe coming from NYC makes it easier but we've also used the metro - or what ever its called in a particular city - in London, Barcelona & Munich.) But since ever system is a little different wherever you go I found this video helpful:

From what I can gather everyone has their own particular favorite area of Paris! We're staying in the Latin Quarter on the advice of our daughter & SIL who have been there twice. We leave October16th and return home November 3rd - after that I'll be a better judge of our planning and preparation!!!

A little thing that I did that seemed to work well for riding the Metro and/or the London tube was.....I pre-planned my point of interest that I wanted to go for that day and figured out what line/stop I needed to use. Then, I wouldn't feel so "rushed" and confused when riding :D

If you are there for a few days, you can buy a combined Hoho and Bateau Boat ticket for 72 hours. We took the boat between some of the major points, but used the metro and walked a lot as well.

We stayed in the first arrondissement because it seemed close to everything. I think the 7th may be more popular. Looking at hubohockey's map you can see why! (Great map BTW!)

Archived