palma priority boarding

mtt

Anyone done this,what happens at the port

got off the coach at the cruise terminal, walked past the queue for the great unwashed and straight to the priority boarding desk - simples :D

cases were in our suite about 5 mins after we got there.

got off the coach at the cruise terminal, walked past the queue for the great unwashed and straight to the priority boarding desk - simples :D

It was exactly the same for us in Sharm on Red Sea Magic. We felt very embarrassed "jumping" the queue but it was great.

Berwyn

Presumably "Priority Boarding" is just another way of Thomsons squeezing more money out of customers - like choosing seats together (what a joke) on flights ?

I don't agree with it in principle - except for wheel chair users etc., but that's a separate issue.

....isn't it all about choice?? We choose to pay for guaranteed seats together rather than risk NOT having seats together.....others choose to pay for a suite and so get priority boarding.....:)

We were suite passengers so it was included in the price. (About the one and only time we'll have one). Also we got fast tracked through the security at Manchester airport too on flying out. And no putting suitcases out before 2 a.m. on the last night either.

Very civilised :D

Berwyn

....isn't it all about choice?? We choose to pay for guaranteed seats together rather than risk NOT having seats together.....others choose to pay for a suite and so get priority boarding.....:)

Clearly our views differ.

It's all about squeezing more money out of punters in my opinion.

I've travelled on package holiday charter flights for well over 50 years and never been seated separately from our party -I reckon guaranteed seating is a big con and rip off.

Presumably the charge for priority boarding is added on to the cost of a suite ?

If I pay for a higher grade cabin should I get onboard ahead of those who have gone for a lower priced one ?

Queue jumping is queue jumping regardless of what it's called - goes against my principles.

I've travelled on package holiday charter flights for well over 50 years and never been seated separately from our party -I reckon guaranteed seating is a big con and rip off.

Presumably the charge for priority boarding is added on to the cost of a suite ?

If I pay for a higher grade cabin should I get onboard ahead of those who have gone for a lower priced one ?

Queue jumping is queue jumping regardless of what it's called - goes against my principles.

I'm with you on this one paying to sit together is a rip off ,pure and simple.

They rely on people like Mrs Kalos who after years of flying is still not at ease with it and if she was not seated at my side

gripping my hand on take off .Well to say would go mental is putting it a little mild.

I have read the terms and conditions out to her ,about how they can seat you opposite or to the seats front or back of me

if they so wished or move her for operational reasons even though we have paid to sit together .

I will say this here and now (hope Thomsons read this thread )

Thomsons are cashing in on peoples fears/phobias and should hang their money grabbing bean counters heads in shame :mad:.

Same as Jenny Wren , yes I pay through choice but I am far from happy with it :(.

Queue jumping is queue jumping regardless of what it's called - goes against my principles as well ;)

The way i see it. i paid for a suite so they gave me priority boarding, and free breakfasts and clothes pressing and free DVD's and comfy dressing gowns etc etc. just like travelling first class on a train only much more so

Plus it wasn't queue jumping as there was a seperate pririty check in desk, with its own queue. The fact that we were the only ones in said queue is entirely irrelevant :D:D:D

btw i did not pay for a hicher grade cabin, i paid for a suite and it is entirely different, 4 rooms for starters. ;)

or perhaps i should have insisted my elderly frail mother stand in a queue for the sake of social equality :rolleyes:

priority check in...no point...the dozen or so people in front of you are all in economy but have left it so late for their flight to somewhere else that they are being fast tracked, Gatwick being the worst offender for this! Across all airlines!

you still have to queue up at the immigration desk, and at smaller airports, outside in the rain, virtually on the runway, especially if the Virgin and BA flights have just turned up as well!

priority boarding on return flight, what’s the point? you’re bag is supposed to come out with the first lot?.......it never happens! Usually its last! It has a Priority Tag on it but it still hasn’t arrived after 60mins!

priority checkin at the ship...it doesn’t make any difference at all, all the lines move fairly fast...the main queue is at the photographer (which with some side stepping you can dodge) then at the(only) gangway where you will find yourself being directed to the alcohol dispenser first (everyone with their hands full of luggage/duty free/anoraks/grandma's walking stick/silly hats.........) I find its easier to just take a deep breath (or a swig of the duty free) and just go with the flow

I'm with you on this one paying to sit together is a rip off ,pure and simple.

They rely on people like Mrs Kalos who after years of flying is still not at ease with it and if she was not seated at my side

gripping my hand on take off .Well to say would go mental is putting it a little mild.

I have read the terms and conditions out to her ,about how they can seat you opposite or to the seats front or back of me

if they so wished or move her for operational reasons even though we have paid to sit together .

I will say this here and now (hope Thomsons read this thread )

Thomsons are cashing in on peoples fears/phobias and should hang their money grabbing bean counters heads in shame :mad:.

Same as Jenny Wren , yes I pay through choice but I am far from happy with it :(.

Queue jumping is queue jumping regardless of what it's called - goes against my principles as well ;)

I think we are talking about 2 different things here. We book seats so that we get aisle seats because it is more comfortable for my OH and I am claustrophobic and don't like the inside seats. However, we do not get priority boarding just for booking seats. You have to book premium seats to get priority boarding.

A number of airlines now open priority booking check ins at the airport and often have no customers. So they try to get people from the queue to use them at a price. If the couple of priority booking check ins were being used for everyone the queues would not be so long :mad::mad:

When we did Red Sea Magic we did not even know we were getting it until we checked our luggage in at Manchester. Then only us at the priority security check. Straight through. And in Sharm when we went there was no extra line for priority, The guy just whipped us around the outside of the ropes to the desk.

And we only wanted a suite as Delyth didn't want a room with bunk beds with 3 adults sharing as didn't want No.2 son coming in tiddly at 3am and trying to climb into top bunk.

It was very nice though once aboard, that extra bit of luxury

Berwyn

or perhaps i should have insisted my elderly frail mother stand in a queue for the sake of social equality :rolleyes:

^

That's a fair one Dave - see second sentence of my post 427 at 10:44am.

A number of airlines now open priority booking check ins at the airport and often have no customers. So they try to get people from the queue to use them at a price. If the couple of priority booking check ins were being used for everyone the queues would not be so long :mad::mad:

Absolutely correct.

priority check in...no point...the dozen or so people in front of you are all in economy but have left it so late for their flight to somewhere else that they are being fast tracked, Gatwick being the worst offender for this! Across all airlines!

you still have to queue up at the immigration desk, and at smaller airports, outside in the rain, virtually on the runway, especially if the Virgin and BA flights have just turned up as well!

priority boarding on return flight, what’s the point? you’re bag is supposed to come out with the first lot?.......it never happens! Usually its last! It has a Priority Tag on it but it still hasn’t arrived after 60mins!

priority checkin at the ship...it doesn’t make any difference at all, all the lines move fairly fast...the main queue is at the photographer (which with some side stepping you can dodge) then at the(only) gangway where you will find yourself being directed to the alcohol dispenser first (everyone with their hands full of luggage/duty free/anoraks/grandma's walking stick/silly hats.........) I find its easier to just take a deep breath (or a swig of the duty free) and just go with the flow

Can't disagree with any of that either.

I think we are talking about 2 different things here. We book seats so that we get aisle seats because it is more comfortable for my OH and I am claustrophobic and don't like the inside seats. However, we do not get priority boarding just for booking seats. You have to book premium seats to get priority boarding.

Well thats us sorted I go for the window seat everytime with the Mrs sat in Middle, the outside seat is all yours Nell :D

Joking apart, I was saying that they cash in on the run of the mill seats and if you are claustrophobic and don't like the inside seats Nell ,then they are cashing in on your problem as they do in our case and many others come to that.

Premium seats as you say are another story :).

People like Dave doing so to get an elderly relative from A to B I have no problems with , we would all do that .

The only ones that get to me which is going off topic, is the likes of the one I saw at Doncaster Airport .

A young woman after walking around the airport for a while got into one of the airports own wheelchairs .

Then when the desk was opening got her man to push her to the front with all the genuine disabled and was boarded first !

When the plane landed in Tenerife and the doors were opened she and her fella were off like a shot beating the best part of the passengers to the luggage carousel.

Last seen carrying a big suitcase, on her own :mad:.

I do reserve my seat when I fly as i prefer an isle seat near the front of the aircraft. This used to be difficult on thomson as the front seats were preferred for those taking in-flight meals. Now with in-flight meals no more just get in early as soon as the online booking is available.

no point getting priority check in at Gatwick. It is still 37.5 miles to the departure gate :(

Or check in the evening before if available. Usually hardly any queue then :)

I do reserve my seat when I fly as i prefer an isle seat near the front of the aircraft. This used to be difficult on thomson as the front seats were preferred for those taking in-flight meals. Now with in-flight meals no more just get in early as soon as the online booking is available.

no point getting priority check in at Gatwick. It is still 37.5 miles to the departure gate :(

Or check in the evening before if available. Usually hardly any queue then :)

We tried to reserve seats for our flight to Corfu to Majesty on Friday. Was 3 seats together and we wanted the middle and aisle one but they wouldn't let us do it. We had to have the window and middle seat. :mad::(

Berwyn

Every year when returning from Tenerife, we take a taxi to the airport so invariably are at or near the front of the queue. We prefer to sit near the front of the plane but usually end up further back than we would like. I believe they keep blocks of seats near the front for the late arrivals :mad:.

They never have the desks properly signed, so usually there is one long queue and when they open up the rest of the desks it is like a rugby scrum where all these rude people push their way through and we end up miles further back than when we started :eek:

Airlines. What's the point in going early?

Maybe next time we will arrive at the last minute when the announcement is going out for last call for Mr and Mrs........

OH would have a heart attack if we did that but I would like to try it (no, not to give OH a heart attack :D) :cool:

Every year when returning from Tenerife, we take a taxi to the airport so invariably are at or near the front of the queue. We prefer to sit near the front of the plane but usually end up further back than we would like. I believe they keep blocks of seats near the front for the late arrivals :mad:.

They never have the desks properly signed, so usually there is one long queue and when they open up the rest of the desks it is like a rugby scrum where all these rude people push their way through and we end up miles further back than when we started :eek:

Airlines. What's the point in going early?

Maybe next time we will arrive at the last minute when the announcement is going out for last call for Mr and Mrs........

OH would have a heart attack if we did that but I would like to try it (no, not to give OH a heart attack :D) :cool:

ROFL Nell, :D

Yes, it's stupid when they say be there 2 hours before and it once you've got to the check in desk it takes about 30 min max to get through there and passport control. We flew out with Mytravel one cruise and were there as usual 2 hours before and they didn't man and open the check in desks for nearly an hour and everyone was just standing in the queue.

Berwyn

I believe they keep blocks of seats near the front for the late arrivals :mad:.

They certainly keep the front few rows of seats for someone? that’s forsure....I haven’t been able to figure it out yet...maybe someone can?

the 1st row is extra legroom so at a premium

the 2nd/3rd rows who knows?

If I’m travelling with the family I usually prebook seats.....mainly because I don’t want my daughters sitting the other end of the plane with Gary Glitter! So, I am usually on the phone a soon as booking is open and rows 2 to 3 and sometimes 4 are always already booked? Could it be crew moving around? Late arrivals? (and if so why should they get the best seats?) or VIP’s

They certainly keep the front few rows of seats for someone? that’s forsure....I haven’t been able to figure it out yet...maybe someone can?

the 1st row is extra legroom so at a premium

the 2nd/3rd rows who knows?

If I’m travelling with the family I usually prebook seats.....mainly because I don’t want my daughters sitting the other end of the plane with Gary Glitter! So, I am usually on the phone a soon as booking is open and rows 2 to 3 and sometimes 4 are always already booked? Could it be crew moving around? Late arrivals? (and if so why should they get the best seats?) or VIP’s

We have experienced the same with trying to book seats near the front and I have sometimes noticed people at the back of the queue with seats in front of us, too often for it to be a coincidence. We usually book seats too, to sit where we like.

Gary Glitter :D:D:D

thabks dave, just asked about port, didn't think they did priority check in at the airport, is the port at palm near any shops

We tried to reserve seats for our flight to Corfu to Majesty on Friday. Was 3 seats together and we wanted the middle and aisle one but they wouldn't let us do it. We had to have the window and middle seat. :mad::(

Berwyn

Were there 3 of you travelling or just the 2, as if there were just 2 I can understand why they wouldnt let you have middle and aisle as it would have left someone else that would want to sit next to there travelling companion sat by the window and maybe the other side of the aisle. I dont normally mind as long as can grab hubbys hand for take off, and speak with him if i want to. But thats a bit hard if you have 2 other people between you.

Were there 3 of you travelling or just the 2, as if there were just 2 I can understand why they wouldnt let you have middle and aisle as it would have left someone else that would want to sit next to there travelling companion sat by the window and maybe the other side of the aisle. I dont normally mind as long as can grab hubbys hand for take off, and speak with him if i want to. But thats a bit hard if you have 2 other people between you.

Just the 2 of us. Delyth likes to be next to me and would not be happy with aisle between us.

Berwyn

Well thats us sorted I go for the window seat everytime with the Mrs sat in Middle, the outside seat is all yours Nell :D

Joking apart, I was saying that they cash in on the run of the mill seats and if you are claustrophobic and don't like the inside seats Nell ,then they are cashing in on your problem as they do in our case and many others come to that.

Premium seats as you say are another story :).

People like Dave doing so to get an elderly relative from A to B I have no problems with , we would all do that .

The only ones that get to me which is going off topic, is the likes of the one I saw at Doncaster Airport .

A young woman after walking around the airport for a while got into one of the airports own wheelchairs .

Then when the desk was opening got her man to push her to the front with all the genuine disabled and was boarded first !

When the plane landed in Tenerife and the doors were opened she and her fella were off like a shot beating the best part of the passengers to the luggage carousel.

Last seen carrying a big suitcase, on her own :mad:.

I agree, Kalos, that we have to pay more because I cannot bear to sit in the inside. If it is a short flight eg. London I will take my chance but anything longer and I start to suffer and it is not worth it. We had an additional £90 to pay on our recent cruise for booking seats and additional luggage (the previous 23 kgs would have been fine). It is all about squeezing more money out of you :mad:

I don't mind people who book suites being given priority booking because they are paying a premium for the suite. I would, however, be very annoyed if there was no priority queue and they were simply shoved to the front of the queue. If the airports don't have the capacity to do it then it shouldn't be offered.

I would also add that if there is no-one in the priority queues they should be taking the people from the front of the "pleb" queue (with deference to Dave :D ).

Just the 2 of us. Delyth likes to be next to me and would not be happy with aisle between us.

Berwyn

Me either really I nealry didnt get on a plane a few years back as had panic attack when boarding started:o I did get onboard with the help of some great bagage handlers though ( no they didnt pick me up and throw me in the hold) :D I normally have to make do with a squeeze in the middle as hubby likes window even though there is les leg room for him. Its my choice of seat when we go in december. Your off on Majesty soon arent you? Have a fantastice time

Ali

Archived