Islander--Hotel recommendation

serene56

I have been readin gthese St Thomas boards now til I am almost blind. After taking a caruie to this island the time has come for me to do a land vacation. (in august no less--lol) what is your favorite hotel and could you give me some recommendations. I want to island hop durin gmy week.

I have looked at vinow... and there is just too much to make a choice.

Doesnt matter as long as its nice. I looked intoa place called harmnoy suites == now that was nice but 1600 for less then a wek just for accomadations plus we would have to rent a car-- didnt seem right tome.

SO and myself are not drinkers so an all inclusive will be out. I like to island hop each day while downhere...one day St Johns, another to Tortola. Someplace where we could get a taxi. good places to eat..stuff like that.

Islander- I did some research and come up with these prroperties

Wyndham Sugar Bay; Secret Harbor; Sapphire Beach and Bolongo Bat.

Do youhave a special preference?

Hello Serene,

Harmony Suite is more of a villa then a hotel. Its a suite in a private property/residence with an Awesome view - LOL.

Wyndham is an all inclusive. I don't know whether you can book non-all inclusive?? You sounded like you wanted to do a lot of hopping around which means you wouldn't be able to utilitize the amenities you paid for. They are a nice property though so look into whether you can do non-all inclusive. Secret Harbor is lovely. Some rooms are beach front - so thats a nice thing. Good snorkeling there. A great restaurant. Sapphire Beach also has beach front on a nice beach. Its pretty close to the Red Hook docks for the island hopping you wanted to do and also lots of restaurants in Red Hook too. Bolongo Bay is a nice family run hotel. The beach is not that good. Their restaurant called Iggies is great, casual and their Caribbean show - I think on Wednesday nights, is excellent. They have a fun catamaran sail called Heavenly days. I'd stay at any of them; don't have a special preference since I have never had a need for a hotel on St. Thomas :). If you wanted a resort feel - Wyndham has that. If you wanted more of a quiet setting then Secret Harbor. Better beach - Sapphire or Secret Harbor.

Hope that helps some.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Thanks for your help- the Wyndham will allow us to book as not all inclusive..which is good since it costs 173 per night to do the all inclusive. I am sure for less then 200 the SO and I could venture off and find other places to eat at local places.

Yes, I do want to island hop so staying at the hotel is not really a big thing for me-- I need it to sleep and maybe get ready for dinners.

As lovely as the Harmony suites is-- Its jsut not in the cards for me at this time. Since I do want to hop around I thinka place close to Red Hook should be the way to go.

Do you think I will have a problem getting a cab to get me to red hook from any of the hotels?

For now I will take Bolongo bay off my list and look further in the other three hotels mentioned. THanks

Thanks for your help- the Wyndham will allow us to book as not all inclusive..which is good since it costs 173 per night to do the all inclusive. I am sure for less then 200 the SO and I could venture off and find other places to eat at local places.

Yes, I do want to island hop so staying at the hotel is not really a big thing for me-- I need it to sleep and maybe get ready for dinners.

As lovely as the Harmony suites is-- Its jsut not in the cards for me at this time. Since I do want to hop around I thinka place close to Red Hook should be the way to go.

Do you think I will have a problem getting a cab to get me to red hook from any of the hotels?

For now I will take Bolongo bay off my list and look further in the other three hotels mentioned. THanks

A year ago, I stayed at Wyndham non-inclusive...it was a nice enough place. Did not care for their food at all, but that could be personal preference too. Their beach is pretty nice. We ate at Iggys a few times...loved it and they are basically right next door to each other. As Islander said, Red Hook is just a few minutes away and also has some great places to eat. I liked Duffys Love Shack for lunch and the Frigutte (not sure of the spelling) had great seafood and steaks. Molly Malones was also very good. All three of these are in Red Hook almost side by side. (actually across the street or parking lot). Have fun and enjoy the culture.

Barb: thanks so very much for your input-- Its so much appreciated. I could look and look on the internet but actual peoples feedback means so much more.

Do you know if the allinclusive section is seperate from the people who are cheap--lol its a lot of moeny to do the all inclusive

Barb: thanks so very much for your input-- Its so much appreciated. I could look and look on the internet but actual peoples feedback means so much more.

Do you know if the allinclusive section is seperate from the people who are cheap--lol its a lot of moeny to do the all inclusive

I'm not sure how or if it is divided... the room we had overlooked the pool and we could see the ocean from the corner of the balcony. A good location and view.

We decided NOT to do all inclusive because we wanted to experience the island...the food, people. We didn't feel we would do that if we were all inclusive at the resort...after all, who wants to go out to eat when dinner is already paid for? (make sure you try the Fungi somewhere on the island...it was absolutely wonderful at Iggy's, as I'm sure it is elsewhere).:)

Archived