Laptop Question

I have an old laptop that I was thinking of taking on board to transfer picture and video files from my CF to disk. For those who have taken computers on board, would it be OK to pack it, or should I carry it?

We'll definitely take one of our laptops in October -- both are used, and my brother gave me my 475Mhz Compaq Notebook 100 -- along with an external 3Gb hard drive just for pictures. That will let us shoot all we want on our three 128Mb Smart Media cards, dump them to the computer each night, nuke them, and shoot our hearts out again the next day :D

We'll probably bring ours in a carry-on.

I would take one but not pack it. You have no idea what kind of abuse our poor luggage takes when it leaves us LOL... I bought one of those laptop cases on wheels that also can carry clothes etc to use as your carry on. You can pull it through the airport etc.

Never, Ever pack anything valuable and easily noticed like a Laptop. I work in IT, and you would be amazed how many times people have needed their laptops replaced because they mysteriously "vanished" when checked in luggage.

Just my 2-cents...

Thanks, guys for the input. I, also, am an IT developer and I would never take my good laptop on the cruise. For one thing, I don't want anything work related around! I do travel a good bit with my job and I always carry my PC on the plane.

The one I am thinking of taking is an old one from another job and it has not even been booted up in three years or more. I was going to nuke the HD and install windows, and just use it as a storage device. I have a good bit of Compact Flash, but I finally got a decent digital camera (Canon S1 IS) and it takes very high quality video as well as photos. The video eats up memory, so I wanted a way to dump the files.

We are going to be driving to the port, DW does not like to fly, so I do not have to worry about airline baggage handlers, just the ones at the port. I too, think it is best to carry electronics, but last year we had soooo much stuff that we carried on that I was thinking "travel light". I will probably wind up carrying the thing anyway.:cool:

I've been using a backpack laptop bag for months, and I love it. It's on wheels and has a pull up handle. You can collapse it and use the shoulder straps if wanted.

The wheels and weight balancing on this backpack are amazing. It glides with little pulling or pushing. It also slips under the seat so easily that you are in and done in seconds. Even stuffed to the max it still fits in the overhead, and it has side zipper pockets sized for a mouse.

It's by Lucas Gear and I got it at CompUSA for about $40.

Thanks pcur. My boss has one of the rolling ones and he uses it for our overseas travel. His is a little larger than I want, so I am going to check into the one you describe. It sounds more like what I would like.

Well, a little update on this subject. I just got back last night from a two week off/on plane and (tiny) car trip. My air flights were the milk-run extrodinaire, and I used the roller backpack, but had to check the darn thing on several flights, mostly because the overheads were too full. I didn't want to put it under the seat in front of me, because I wanted the leg room. Well, I ended up carrying the laptop on board in my arms, because NO WAY was I letting my new baby out of my sight!

So, on the return I just went to Target and got a neat little $15 flat "flap" bag with a nice padded compartment for the laptop. Worked great for carrying other stuff, and I had a handy pocket for the laptop just in case. Yep...had to check the roller again. Amazing how people will streeeeeeetttttttchhhhhh the concept of "carry-on", and there's no room left.

Archived