Should Royal Come Clean on Tipping?

All those in favor of having the compensation plan detailed, would first post here, how they are paid by their employer and/or how they pay their employees.

After all, if you want to stick you nose in Royal's business, then full disclosure would level the playing field.

All those in favor of having the compensation plan detailed, would first post here, how they are paid by their employer and/or how they pay their employees.

After all, if you want to stick you nose in Royal's business, then full disclosure would level the playing field.

My hourly rate represents roughly 33% of what my company bills for my time.

Okay, now can you answer my question please?

Of course, it's a silly comparison, and although my response is truthful, I wrote it here as a joke.

Not to belabor the point, but you know how many people (myself included) react poorly to signs or outright requests for tips? Many of us choose NOT to tip when the potential receiver requests a tip. So to stay consistent with that, we would like to tip when it is customary to tip someone, but how would we know if they can't request it from us? The way we can know is to ask people who already know. I don't know why this is so sensitive a subject.

Bottom line: if someone is working in a traditionally tipped position but is not already receiving a tip from me through the automatic system, then as a conscientious person I'd like to tip them. On the other hand, if they are already receiving a tip from me through the automated system then I find no need to tip them additional.

Know what I mean? I want to make sure people get their fair share but I also want to make sure I don't double-tip as a standard practice.

And I was trying to understand how the WJ waitstaff fit in with that. That's all. Why all the drama??? :confused:

My employer pays me a fixed salary. I have no employees.

Now count me in as one of those wanting to know how RCI (and other cruise lines) handle this issue in compensating their employees.

If you earn 33% of your billable hours or your company pays you a fixed salary. if it fair? is it equitable? I ask becuase it is no different than what RCI does. They have a compensation ageement between themselves and each of their employees...What gives me the right to demand to know your compensation play? Answer: I have not right. Ditto for our inquiry into how RCI compensates their employees.

If those employees do not think they earn a fair income, they can quit. Not real complicated.

I agree that it's a cop out for passengers to pay the salaries to make the selling price of the cruise cheaper.

Do not disagree in the slightest that I will pay the same total amount with tips, but it frustrates me that they say our 7 day cruise for 2 people is $XX but at the end it costs $265 extra. That's not a slight amount..

The state room attenents work hard and deserve their compensation, but I feel they should be paid by the cruise line and I should tip extra for above in beyond. I would not, not book the cruise if the base price was higher.

To anyone that disagrees, wouldn't you be appalled if you booked a $100.00 hotel and when you got your bill they charged you $10 for house keeping? House keeping is built into the base price..

In summary, I agree to pay the tips, but I think it's kind of a tricky marketing strategy to sell cruises by lowering the price only to add it on at the end.

I think you're mistaking curiosity for upset-ness.

I like to know how systems work. I'm a curious person. Just because I like to know things doesn't mean I'm upset with things. Sheesh! I'm also curious about how the ship handles trash and waste ... doesn't mean I'm upset about people using trash cans and toilets, know what I mean?

However, I do want to thank you for the WJ explanation you gave, which answered my question.

Sorry, I should have separated my post. I wasn't referring to you as being upset. After years of reading "tipping" posts, I have notice some cruisers getting upset over the situation.

I got so tired of various stories, that I decided to ask my waiter how the gratuities work. I was a little uncomfortable asking him, because I felt it's not our business. I mentioned the forum and the various discussions. He also informed me that he gets to keep all the gratuities handed to him and he doesn't have to share them with anyone.

The wait staff for MTD are not handed envelopes, because cruisers must pay their gratuities up front. The reason being that they may have different wait staff during their cruise.

If you earn 33% of your billable hours or your company pays you a fixed salary. if it fair? is it equitable? I ask becuase it is no different than what RCI does. They have a compensation ageement between themselves and each of their employees...What gives me the right to demand to know your compensation play? Answer: I have not right. Ditto for our inquiry into how RCI compensates their employees.

If those employees do not think they earn a fair income, they can quit. Not real complicated.

You are soooooo missing my point. Did you read what I wrote? You're thinking I'm saying RCI is being unfair or that what they pay is not fair and equitable, or some crap like that. I'm not saying that. I'm saying I want to make sure I am paying people properly. I'm not accusing the company of paying employees unfairly. I just want to know if, by per-paying tips, I'm tipping everyone I'd like to tip. NOT REAL COMPLICATED.

I'm not "demanding" anything, I'm asking other people if they know an answer to the question.

I sense anger and defensiveness, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. I'm not asking people's salaries or their shoe sizes or anything.

I just don't get the drama about a simple question. My guess is you didn't read what I wrote, about why I'm curious about the info.

My waiter told me the assisitant waiters that work the WJ during dinner are on their "off week" from the dining room and do not receive tips that week.

The waiters and assisitant waiters that work in the WJ during breakfast and lunch, then work in the dining room for dinner will receive their tips from the guests at their MDR tables.

They all know this before signing a contract. They agree to the pay they receive. It doesn't appear that they are unhappy about their salary, so why are so many cc members upset? ...

There's a difference between gratuities and a required service fee. I have always enjoyed the service that I receive on my cruises and I tip the staff at least the reccommended amount, because I feel they deserved to receive these gratuities.

I heard the same thing from a energetic, articulate assistant waiter. he also said that when staff get there rotation schedules, they hope for as few "off weeks" as possible. for example, it is bad luck to start and end your contract with "off" or WJ weeks, as one takes home less money. when I learned this I decided that should I ever be assigned late dining and be unable to change, it would be too late for DH to eat, so we'd decline a late dining table with the Mad're D... we'd be in WJ each night...in WJ, we'd try to "adopt" an WJ waiter and tip him or her with cash. Same would go if we just decided to skip MDR all cruise long (fat chance). well, that was the plan, but I doubt it will ever come to pass...We have early or MTD for our next two cruises...we'll be D+ after that which should get us our dining preference for here on out (I hope).

I agree that it's a cop out for passengers to pay the salaries to make the selling price...

The state room attenents work hard and deserve their compensation, but I feel they should be paid by the cruise line and I should tip extra for above in beyond. I would not, not book the cruise if the base price was higher.

To anyone that disagrees, wouldn't you be appalled if you booked a $100.00 hotel and when you got your bill they charged you $10 for house keeping? House keeping is built into the base price..

In summary, I agree to pay the tips, but I think it's kind of a tricky marketing strategy to sell cruises by lowering the price only to add it on at the end.

I have indeed been charged such a fee at a hotel. It was disclosed in advance and I paid it without complaint. I was not appalled, though it did seem odd.

Edit: That hotel still charges extra for energy and housekeeping "gratuity". it is in red on the web site...

http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-nassau-bahamas-BS003

You're right. You don't have the right to know how about my compensation, but I have no problem with you asking about it. I don't have to answer, but you can certainly ask!

I'm a naturally curious person. I like to know how things work. If you don't share that same curiosity, then that's fine. But don't tell the rest of us that we don't have the right to ask about these things just because you don't want to know.

We just got home today from the ExOS. We prepaid our tips on board. Yesterday we had 4 envelopes in our cabin for each person to be tipped. There was no explanation. No paper stating the tips were pd! I went to ask what they were for and was told for Addl tips! It made for an uncomfortable feeling as to whether or not the servers and cain attendant knew we pd at all. We do and did give extra but my husband explained how we prepd as well well. I like how Princess does it much better. Just charge each day and don't give envelopes almost saying to tip extra. And we prepd the 2nd day so envelopes were not necessary

As a norwegian, I hate tipping. It has started to creep into the service industry here as well, no doubt a result of the globalisation. Norwegian waiters are, in general, paid well! But ofcourse, they appreciate the tipping from forreigners and norwegians who has been abroad and are "used" to tipping.

To me, tipping should be abolished. People should be paid a decent salary and not have to rely on tipping.

In my line of work I often deal with our customers on the phone, and sometimes in person. I am paid a decent salary, and if a customer is very pleased with my service (or very dissatisfied) it sometimes will come to the attention of my manager, which then can take action. That's how it should work, IMHO.

Do a good job and you have a job.

Do a great job and you might get a raise (or bonus)

Do a lousy job and.. well you might want to look for a new one.

When I booked my cruise I pre-pay the gratuities. The price I used to compare against other alternatives is the price with all taxes and gratuities included. It's much simpler and I wish all the cruise lines would just abolish the tipping.

I also think the line is sometimes drawn arbitrary. Why do you tip a waiter? Is the tip shared with the chef? (I know that some restaurants pool all their tips together and share it equally with all the staff, so when you tip YOUR waither extra, he or she doesn't get to keep it). Why don't you tip your mailmain? Or plumber? Electrician? Dry-cleaner? Customer service representative from AT&T/sprint? A guy at the carwash? People at McDonalds?

Being a fan of american standup I am reminded of a bit by Chris Rock. "It's silly for a black man to brag about not being in jail. You can't brag about doing **** that you are supposed to do!" Employees should get paid by their employer for doing their job. That responsibility should not fall on the customer.

What if we just set a date, say january 1st, and from then onwards tipping is no more? ;)

My waiter told me the assisitant waiters that work the WJ during dinner are on their "off week" from the dining room and do not receive tips that week.

The waiters and assisitant waiters that work in the WJ during breakfast and lunch, then work in the dining room for dinner will receive their tips from the guests at their MDR tables.

Not saying that you weren't told this at all or that this isn't true, but on our honeymoon cruise, we saw our MDR assistant waiter, Nino, great guy, in the Windjammer at least 3 of the days of our 9 day cruise.

I have worked at restaurants that spread the tips out as much as possible.

Server, Busser, Hostess, Food Runner, expiditer, ect.

One place in Houston got sued because the servers had to tip the Mgrs.

I can see the cruiselines paying as many people out of the tip pool, even people that were not directly involved with the service. Maybe some officers.

Also, I can even see the cruiseline taking some of the auto-tipsfor themselves by comming up with some sort of convience/service fee..

That's what concerns me the most. Are the stateroom attendants, servers and assistants really seeing all of the tip money, whether it is prepaid through our account or through money in the hand. Somehow I doubt it and the last line of your post is something I can totally see happening.

I wonder how many key strokes have been devoted to tipping threads!

They have developed a system by which all employees are compensated if passengers simply tip as recommended. That's all there is to it. The wheel has been invented and doesn't need any of my tinkering.

I have no more interest in investigating the intracacies of their agreements any more than I do grilling the head engineer on what oil he uses in the engines.

I prepay tips and add a little as I deem fit.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I also think the line is sometimes drawn arbitrary. Why do you tip a waiter? Is the tip shared with the chef? (I know that some restaurants pool all their tips together and share it equally with all the staff, so when you tip YOUR waither extra, he or she doesn't get to keep it). Why don't you tip your mailmain? Or plumber? Electrician? Dry-cleaner? Customer service representative from AT&T/sprint? A guy at the carwash? People at McDonalds?

Many people do tip their mailman. As far as the tips being shared. In the US it is illegal for a restaurant employer to use pooled tips to pay any employee who does not directly provide service and interact with a customer. e.g. The chef.

That's what concerns me the most. Are the stateroom attendants' date=' servers and assistants really seeing all of the tip money, whether it is prepaid through our account or through money in the hand. Somehow I doubt it and the last line of your post is something I can totally see happening.[/quote']

You can doubt all you want, but you would be wrong. Read the company's audited financials.

I have indeed been charged such a fee at a hotel. It was disclosed in advance and I paid it without complaint. I was not appalled, though it did seem odd.

Edit: That hotel still charges extra for energy and housekeeping "gratuity". it is in red on the web site...

http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-nassau-bahamas-BS003

At a hotel in the Bahamas, my guess would be that $5 per day is all the housekeeper is paid per room.

Many people do tip their mailman. As far as the tips being shared. In the US it is illegal for a restaurant employer to use pooled tips to pay any employee who does not directly provide service and interact with a customer. e.g. The chef.

I'm not necessarily doubting you, but do you know this to be true in every state? I would doubt it's a federal law, but I could be wrong.

The tipping system is a cop out by the cruise lines to get the passengers to pay the service staffs wages and make the cruise look less costly. I would much rather have the cruise line add the minimum tips into the price of the cruise like they do the taxes and port charge.

So your bill would look like this:

Fare........xxxx.xx

Tax..........xxx.xx

Port charge...xxx.xx

Staff fees.....xxx.xx

------------------------------

Total........xxxx.xx

If you feel like tipping above and beyond, then you can.

It's funny how the cruise line adds the gratuity to drinks or specialty restaurants (makes one wonder if these tips go to staff or to the suites) but leave the service staff to hope the passengers pay the gratuities.

I agree that the cruise line should add in a minimum amount for the tips. That way everyone pays the tips. And as you say if any one goes above and beyond then tip them extra.

Your concern about the staff actually getting the full amount of the tip is also a concern that I have. I know back in the 1970's/80's back in England restaurants and bars started adding service charge to the cost of each item on the menu. Yes TIP and Tax were included in the advertised price. However instead of the amount of the service charge going to the employee it went in the pocket of the employer. I tend to think that this may also be the case on cruise ships.

Not saying that you weren't told this at all or that this isn't true' date=' but on our honeymoon cruise, we saw our MDR assistant waiter, Nino, great guy, in the Windjammer at least 3 of the days of our 9 day cruise.[/quote']

Not sure you read my post correctly. I know the assisitant waiters from the MDR work in the WJ during breakfast and lunch. They are the ones that receive tips, because they also work in the MDR for dinner.

Some of the assistant waiters in the WJ do not work in the MDR for dinner and they will not receive tips that week.

If you go to the WJ during dinner, the staff there is on their "off week" from the MDR. They will not receive tip envelopes.

Not sure you read my post correctly. I know the assisitant waiters from the MDR work in the WJ during breakfast and lunch. They are the ones that receive tips, because they also work in the MDR for dinner.

Some of the assistant waiters in the WJ do not work in the MDR for dinner and they will not receive tips that week.

If you go to the WJ during dinner, the staff there is on their "off week" from the MDR. They will not receive tip envelopes.

Oops, sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

If the tips are pooled, then why do we have an envelope for each person and a suggested amount for each of those people?

Waiter

Assistant waiter

Headwaiter

Stateroom attendant

Each has a suggested amount. Why?

Also….

If I give the waiter $50 I’d like to know how much he gets to keep.

A dollar amount please.

I think the customer has a right to know how much the waiter actually receives from the money the customer pays in the name of that waiter.

Archived