Diamond Princess vs Disney for a 3 y/o?

MariahJ

Is there any chance my daughter would be happy and entertained on a 12 night Australia/NZ cruise on the Diamond Princess? She loved our Disney cruise but I don't see any comparable entertainment on Princess. There are 4 days at sea and I wonder if she'd be bored and drive us crazy. We would hopefully be able to put her in the kids club by then, but I wouldn't count on it. At two, she screams and cries in the kids club until they call us to get her. She's just not comfortable with people she doesn't know. I see that there are times when I can accompany her there, but I have no idea how often and how entertaining that would be for her.

I think each child is different of course. Our two grandchildren love Princess. When they were young Mr. Outgoing took notice of Miss Shy his younger sister. Back then she was very quiet and very very shy around strangers. She did great on the cruise. She even sang a song at the kids talent show (as long as her brother stood beside her). Just a note however, Princess only accepts children who are totally potty trained in their kids areas. I know some kids aren't quite there at age 3. Also there is no in-cabin babysitting although they do offer the kids program until about 1 AM or so???? I can't remember that as we picked ours up by 10 PM each evening.

I am a true Princess lover, but for a 3 year old, you can't beat the Disney experience..totally geared towards her. If she is happy, you will be happy. We have done both lines and would definitely pick Disny with a young child or non school vacation time because kids will be in short supply if they are in school session.

Just My 2 cents...

Without hesitation, I'd recommend sticking with Disney for cruising with your 3 year old (my wife and I cruise with Disney once a year and we don't have kids). Once she's a bit older maybe venture over to Princess, but at that age there's really not much on the ship for her and all the sea days could definitely be an issue.

A little different perspective from my direction. First of all, as far as I know Disney does not do the itinerary in Australia/NZ that interests you. And since your three year old will be old enough for the Princess Pelican program you will find that Princess offers a great program for children. Frankly, based on our Disney cruises and now having cruised Princess many times with our children I would tell you our kids prefer Princess. In my estimation Disney is overpriced and overrated. We enjoyed our DCL cruises, however, not enough to justify the outrageous price we paid. Princess is a much better value and in my opinion is a very family friendly line. And the Diamond is a wonderful ship!

OK, this is from yet another perspective. This might sound mean-spirited, but you did mention your child has a tendency to "scream and cry," so....

On a 12-nighter, the passengers will most likely skew older, with relatively few families. Some pax, of course, will think your child is the cutest thing ever. Others, like me, would simply rather not be subjected to the screaming and crying of someone else's kid. Sorry, but there it is.

If I go to a Disney park, I'm quite ready and willing to put up with the hissy fits of random children. Happens every time, goes with the territory. But last time I was at the Museum of Modern Art, there was a young mom pushing a squalling child in a stroller through the galleries, and well, I had, um, ungenerous thoughts. Same, actually, when a small child started screeching during a show at the Princess Theater.

So I guess what I'm saying is that Disney not only sounds like a better fit for your daughter, but for the other passengers onboard, as well.

Happy sailing!

Archived