I want to declare my liquor!

porrah

I have never seen or heard of this happening. We have bought alcohol in port many times. As long as the bottles are unopened they have always held them for us and returned them to us. I guess your experience and mine differ.

Obviously. I will say though, that I was not so much addressing the issue of alcohol willingly being handed over during a port call in exchange for a receipt, but was responding to the poster that implied one would be attempting to get the alcohol onboard covertly (i.e. hiding it), since he mentioned that if you leave it in your checked bags, you might get called to the naughty room. We had some wine from a winemaker that we know personally in our luggage once that was taken and not returned. Other friends had the same experience. While it seems more common that alcohol IS returned in such cases, I was merely pointing out that it doesn't ALWAYS happen that way, as was implied.

This was all very helpful. I too am from Canada and because going home I change planes in Toronto and my final destination is Vancouver, I figured I would not be able to bring any duty free home. I didn't think of buying it on the ship and putting it in my checked bags for going home. Has anyone had any experience with bottles getting broken in transit though, that is my only worry. Any tips on packing so it doesn't break.

This was all very helpful. I too am from Canada and because going home I change planes in Toronto and my final destination is Vancouver, I figured I would not be able to bring any duty free home. I didn't think of buying it on the ship and putting it in my checked bags for going home. Has anyone had any experience with bottles getting broken in transit though, that is my only worry. Any tips on packing so it doesn't break.

Brought alcohol bought on cruise all the way home from Australia. Paid $1.00 extra per bottle at the ship's duty free and they 'air wrapped' it. It was better than bubble wrap. I'm sure I could have dropped the bottle from waist height and it wouldn't have broken.

Hoping they have it on our next cruise too.

We have taken bottles home in our luggage and never had a problem. We wrap the bottle in some clothes and then make sure it is in the center of the suitcase, surrounded by more clothes. One thing to consider, the bottles will add weight to your suitcase. Make sure you don't go over the airlines' allowable weight or all the money you just saved on the booze will be spent on luggage fees.

While some of the suggestions are all well and good if you are actually on the ship and purchase the alcohol during a port stop. We have done this on several cruises and the crew will take the alcohol and give you a receipt.

The problem with bringing it on board in a carry on at the embarcation port - those folks are not ship's crew and you are not onboard the ship handing over your purchase. I have no idea what happens to alcohol confiscated at check in. That is the question the OP needs to have answered.

It seems their best bet is to purchase on board at duty free, if the brand they want is available, or at one of their port stops.

What we do is to wrap the bottle, especially glass ones, in a beach towel or other clothing, then place this in a large plastic shopping or laundry bag (in case it does leak or breaks) which we seal by knotting the opening and then packing one only in the center of our suitcase surrounded by other clothing. Also we tape the cap of plastic bottles with duct tape, which we bring a small roll for this and other uses such as luggage repair, to make it more secure. We've done this many times and have never had a broken bottle or even had one leak.

Also we bring a small digital luggage scale to ensure each bag isn't overweight to avoid additional luggage fees.

While some of the suggestions are all well and good if you are actually on the ship and purchase the alcohol during a port stop. We have done this on several cruises and the crew will take the alcohol and give you a receipt.

The problem with bringing it on board in a carry on at the embarcation port - those folks are not ship's crew and you are not onboard the ship handing over your purchase. I have no idea what happens to alcohol confiscated at check in. That is the question the OP needs to have answered.

It seems their best bet is to purchase on board at duty free, if the brand they want is available, or at one of their port stops.

The people in the terminal (check in) don't care if you have alcohol in your luggage. I have never seen alcohol confiscated BEFORE you get on the ship. There is always (at least on the ships I've been on) a second X-ray machine after you get on the ship. That is where the ship's crew are looking for banned items. This is where they will take your alcohol and give you a receipt for it.

The people in the terminal (check in) don't care if you have alcohol in your luggage. I have never seen alcohol confiscated BEFORE you get on the ship. There is always (at least on the ships I've been on) a second X-ray machine after you get on the ship. That is where the ship's crew are looking for banned items. This is where they will take your alcohol and give you a receipt for it.

Thanks for the info. We've never taken alcohol onboard at embarcation, except for one mini of Amaretto several years ago, so we have never noticed the additional X-ray.

Even if they have lockers (doubtful) that might cost more than the Vodka!

Simply have it in your carry-on when you board the ship. Tell them you have it and they will hold it until the last night.

I was on a cruise out of San Diego for my 50th Birthday and my daughter bought me a big bottle of Jonney Walker Blue. When I got to security they took it off me and said I would not get it back. There are different rules when boarding at Embarkation than when at ports of call. Check with the cruise line as to the current rule. I had different things happen to alcohol that was put in suitcases. Sometimes it was removed and never seen again. Sometimes it was removed and a note sent to the cabin to pick up last night. Sometimes it made it through.

But I would go for buying on board and getting it delivered to your stateroom last night of the cruise. They have some quite good 2 for 1 deals.

Based on anecdotal evidence, USUALLY, it is returned to you the last night of the cruise. But from personal experience I know that is not ALWAYS the case. Sometimes it is confiscated permanently.

I have no idea whether checked bags go through xray once or twice, but carry on bags are xray'd in the terminal, and there are plenty of stories of alcohol being confiscated from carry ons.

This must be only at some ports. I have never had my carry on scanned a second time when boarding the ship. Once to get in the terminal and that was it. And no, they are not employees of the cruise company.

Brought alcohol bought on cruise all the way home from Australia. Paid $1.00 extra per bottle at the ship's duty free and they 'air wrapped' it. It was better than bubble wrap. I'm sure I could have dropped the bottle from waist height and it wouldn't have broken.

Hoping they have it on our next cruise too.

That has always worked well for us too never had a broken bottle.

I think I'll take advice and buy my vodka on board. I know Total Wine has it dirt cheap(I'm not a brand connoisseur) and also in a plastic bottle, that's why I was going to get it there. For people wondering how to pack bottles, what we do is take a large plastic bottle or two (yes, I keep them for this purpose) and decant bottles into this for travelling home. So now I know to pack my empty plastic bottles for the cruise. It cuts down on the weight too which would be quite a lot if you bought two bottles. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread - as usual it took us in a few directions which often turn out to be helpful.

You could decant the vodka from Total Wine into rum runners and take them on to the ship in your suitcase :-)

Ooops!!!! I just started another reoccurring thread :-)

Just joking. I think your decision to buy on board is a good one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Porrah,

Why not buy from the duty free store at the U.S. airport. Are you returning from Fort Lauderdale or Miami.. Both have good Shops and prices are good.The odd time we fly direct to Toronto we do that.We normally fly out of Buffalo,it's way cheaper airfare and stop at the duty free shops,and drive across the Border

I think I'll take advice and buy my vodka on board. I know Total Wine has it dirt cheap(I'm not a brand connoisseur) and also in a plastic bottle, that's why I was going to get it there. For people wondering how to pack bottles, what we do is take a large plastic bottle or two (yes, I keep them for this purpose) and decant bottles into this for travelling home. So now I know to pack my empty plastic bottles for the cruise. It cuts down on the weight too which would be quite a lot if you bought two bottles. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread - as usual it took us in a few directions which often turn out to be helpful.

As odd as it sounds I signed up for a few free samples of Depends adult diapers a year or so ago... I wrap the bottle in the diaper then put it in a XXL Ziploc bag or grocery bag. The diaper works great as cushioning for the bottle as well as an extra safeguard if it happens to break - the diaper will absorb the liquid.

Archived