Aqua cabins under gym/spa--noise level?

nojoke

For about $66 each, we could upgrade to Aqua guarantee. But when I look at the deck plan on Equinox, the lowest priced Aqua class cabins are under the gym and spa. I am hesitant to book in this location--(1516, 1518, 1527). Any advice from you seasoned cruisers about the possibility of footsteps and noise from above? And, is it worth the upcharge?

Some people have complained about noise from the treadmills, which are on the starboard aft part of the fitness center. We were in 1521 on the Eclipse, on the port side, and had no problem at all.

There's a sticky on this board with Solstice-class cabin info. Search for those cabins and see if people complained about noise.

Opinions about Aqua Class vary, but I think the upgrade is worth it. Blu, in my opinion (some will differ), offers superior food and service. You get free bottled water, canapes and free use of the Persian Gardens and relaxation room. With your cabin located forward, it's a quick hop up to the spa and fitness center as well as the Aquaspa Cafe. We enjoyed having the relaxation room just down the hall -- it was a perfect place to hang out when your room is being cleaned and you can just glance down the hall to see when they're finished.

I'd rather be under the spa/gym than the pool or aft bar. You can hear the deck furniture when it's being dragged during use or cleaning. We had this in an aft cabin. They cleaned and reset the furniture late at night, after the bar closed. All day long you could hear it as people used the outdoor seating. It wasn't an issue during the day, but it woke us up when it happened at night. I don't think you'd hear anything from the gym. There are free weights, but not huge barbells that would get dropped.

We were in a starboard side aqua cabin on Equinox and, yes you can hear the treadmills. They start at around 6:30 in the morning and finish early evening. There was someone who was on the treadmill at 10:00 p.m. on a few occasions.

As we are early risers (actually using the treadmills at 6:30) it did not bother us at all and we would happily book one of these cabins again.

For those people who are late risers, I think this could be an issue.

I was concerned about the same thing before boarding the Equinox as I had upgraded to Aqua Class as well. Never heard a thing as we were under the gym. It is well worth it, as the amenities you get with the room are wonderful! You must also dine in Blu if you upgrade as the food was fabulous.

TheCruisingQueen

NCL Jewel (Nov 2009)

NCL Epic (Mar 2011)

RCCL Allure of the seas (Sept 2011)

Celebrity Equinox (Mar 2012)

Carnival Glory (Aug 2012)

RCCL Allure of the seas (Feb 2013)

Celebrity Solstice (Jul 2013)

THANK you!!!! to all you helpful responders. I appreciate the "S cabin spreadsheet" notice. And all your honest comments. Now we just have to decide whether to take the chance on the unknown.

Maybe not!! Maybe yes!!! Anyhow, thanks so much

Nojoke,

...a lot of this depends on your personal levels of sound sensitivity, too. What one person finds unacceptable, another will not even notice or be bothered by.

As jackdiamond points out, improvements have been made in sound deadening insulation in the newer ships. Even then, sensitivity will still play a role.

The only time we've been below the spa/gym in Aqua Class was on the maiden season of Solstice. Being under the classroom section, we periodically heard footsteps or aerobic dance steps. To us the muffled sound was not bothersome.

Wherever you select to book, we wish for you a truly fantastic sailing!!

CM

Archived