Balcony Dividers - Will They Open Them?

gooselover

DH and I, along with my MIL and SIL have booked Epic. We have rooms next to each other. My PVP said they will not open the balcony dividers due to fire hazards, but I read on here somewhere where the room steward WILL do it for you.

Which one is true??????

DH and I, along with my MIL and SIL have booked Epic. We have rooms next to each other. My PVP said they will not open the balcony dividers due to fire hazards, but I read on here somewhere where the room steward WILL do it for you.

Which one is true??????

Theres no fixed answer . Some stewards will some wont some cant. Some people open them themselves , It seems to be if "you" open it , there is a better chance of it staying open ( blind eye and all ) ;)

P.S. Its not a fire issue its a liability issue.

Your call

We cruised on the Dawn in July. We had friends in the adjourning mini suite. When we asked the cabin steward to open the divider he said that they couldn't do it anymore. According to him a group of folks who knew each other had the dividers opened and evidently one of the group were outside another's cabin looking in while they were in the bedroom. So, he said it's a liability issue now and they can't open them.

We sailed on the Epic in June. Our steward would not open the divider even in port, neither would his supervisor. We tried to open the divider ourselves, but we were not successful. I looked at other rooms and did not see any dividers opened. This must be a newer policy. This is pretty disappointing, because we wanted the ability to move between our two cabins.

We sailed on the Epic in June. Our steward would not open the divider even in port, neither would his supervisor. We tried to open the divider ourselves, but we were not successful. I looked at other rooms and did not see any dividers opened. This must be a newer policy. This is pretty disappointing, because we wanted the ability to move between our two cabins.

We were on the Star a few years ago....there were people in adjoining cabins....they used a toothbrush to open them....Mcgyver lives!

We sailed on the Epic the first week of March with 6 balcony staterooms in a row. We opened the balcony doors while we were still in port in Miami and only closed them twice when they were spraying down the side of the ship. Nothing was ever said to us regarding the open balconies. In fact, one evening, we were all out on our balconies when our steward came in to deliver something. She came right out on the balconies with us and passed back and forth between the staterooms using our open balcony dividers. We used our balconies almost exclusively for interaction between our 6 rooms. It was a really nice "perk" that we enjoyed immensely.

IF NCL does read these boards (and I believe they do), I'd love to know what the safety issue is. It can't be fire because the dividers are open at the top and bottom so the only thing I can think of is that they don't latch open in any way so they go back and forth. I guess a chair won't hold it open?? I was really disappointed that they wouldn't open them because we we able to have them opened on the Carnival Spirit class ships IF you got on the list early. It was so nice to go back and forth on the balcony instead out in the hall.

IF NCL does read these boards (and I believe they do), I'd love to know what the safety issue is. It can't be fire because the dividers are open at the top and bottom so the only thing I can think of is that they don't latch open in any way so they go back and forth. I guess a chair won't hold it open?? I was really disappointed that they wouldn't open them because we we able to have them opened on the Carnival Spirit class ships IF you got on the list early. It was so nice to go back and forth on the balcony instead out in the hall.

Same number of steps either way? What's the difference? I struggle to understand, cruise line says no, don't do this. We do it anyway. Why? Hotel Director told us on last cruise that it was two issues, safety as in swinging doors that are made of steel and privacy. Like many other things, if another cruise line does it better, why not cruise with them and if NCL loses enough business, maybe they will find a solution.

Archived