Single Cruisers - Help!

mattcj89

I need some reassurance that I can cruise by myself and still have a good time. To make a long story short, my other half and I spilt up last week and refuses to go on the cruise that we planned together. We booked early saver and we're to leave out of NOLA on Conquest on 9/23 so there really is no other option than to go alone and try to have a good time. Im nervous about what (if anything) Carnival has in place for single cruisers as far as activities. Tell me your experiences cruising alone and help convince me that my vacation won't be a wash.

Dont worry, you will have a blast! I have yet to take a solo cruise and not meet people to do things with. Go out in the public areas, mix & mingle, meet new friends at your dinner table or on excursions.....you will *not* be alone if you don't want to be. Trust me. :)

I've done 3 cruises solo on Carnival; had a blast each time. You really don't need specific singles activities. Just do the things you normally would do - piano bar, gym, Lido, mixology class, etc., put a smile on your face, and you'll meet all kinds of people.

Sorry about the breakup - that has to be tough.

Roz

I have never cruised by myself but I did take an excursion all by myself once. I met a very nice couple who let me tag along with them so I did have someone to talk to during the excursion. We had a great time. I think they kind of looked out for me too since I was by myself. :)

Just go. The other fare will be lost anyway. I don't know anything about ES inner works. For someone who knows, maybe the taxes and port fees will be refunded? But, then again to who? We don't know who's name is attached to the accounts.

As for your circumstance being recent and an unplanned solo cruise, you won't necessarily have a "blast" as others have put it. But, it can be quite enjoyable doing what you want and when you want. It might be feasable to check with the MD about reseating with solos.

I need some reassurance that I can cruise by myself and still have a good time. To make a long story short, my other half and I spilt up last week and refuses to go on the cruise that we planned together. We booked early saver and we're to leave out of NOLA on Conquest on 9/23 so there really is no other option than to go alone and try to have a good time. Im nervous about what (if anything) Carnival has in place for single cruisers as far as activities. Tell me your experiences cruising alone and help convince me that my vacation won't be a wash.

I have cruised solo several times. Always have a great time on Carnival. Not so much on my last RCCL cruise. Carnival seemed to have a friendlier crowd and staff. Join the roll call for your cruise and chat with some of the other people. Don't worry, you'll have a great time.

Do I need to call Carnival and tell them I'm solo? How will dinner seating work? I think I read on here that Carnival seats people based on demographics, I'd hate to be seated with one couple and end up being the third wheel lol.

see about switching to any time dining, then you can ask to sit at a table with other singles. Go and have fun!!

I've cruises solo 7 times ....for that matter a lions share of my travels have been solo. That being said if you are a little outgoing you will no doubt meet a wide array of new friends. Just do the things that perk your interest and never be afraid to say hi you will be amazed what those 2 words will open up for you

I'm also going on my first solo cruise on 9/23 - but only a little 4 day. After cruising many times with family, I just feel the need to get away.

I was nervous too, but now I'm really excited. Not sure how it will go, but I'm ready to give it a shot. I'm actually thinking I may like it too much!!

You will have soooooo much fun. I cruised solo for my FIRST cruise. It was amazing. No one else to consider but you! Your wants, your needs, your tastes!

People are SO friendly on a cruise, especially when they notice you alone. I had so many people coming up to me to talk. I was adopted by a mother daughter pair. It was the best.

It's also a little reassuring and provides a little personal growth to know that you don't need someone else to have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will have soooooo much fun. I cruised solo for my FIRST cruise. It was amazing. No one else to consider but you! Your wants, your needs, your tastes!

People are SO friendly on a cruise, especially when they notice you alone. I had so many people coming up to me to talk. I was adopted by a mother daughter pair. It was the best.

It's also a little reassuring and provides a little personal growth to know that you don't need someone else to have a good time.

I had a girl adopt me, I guess I fit the bill of her mother. We got along great. On another solo, got to be friends with another solo cruiser. We've been twice now as cabin mates.

Sometimes it's very hard to get a friend or family member to go with you, they always have an excuse (meaning they didn't care in the first place), but get 2 wanna be cruisers together, it allows elimination of solo rates and ability to take longer cruises.

Sometimes it's very hard to get a friend or family member to go with you, they always have an excuse (meaning they didn't care in the first place), but get 2 wanna be cruisers together, it allows elimination of solo rates and ability to take longer cruises.

I think it would be great to find someone compatible to share room with but Its pretty close quarters to have to share such a small area with. I went on a cruise with a dear friend from work. She is a fine person but also, as I discovered, a clutterer. I should have checked her apartment before agreeing to share a cabin. By Day 2 of the cruise the only surface in the room not covered with junk or clothing was MY BED! If your a neat freak like me be careful who you agree to share with no matter how nice the person. Thankfully my sisters and my boyfriend, the only other people I've ever cruised/shared cabin with, are fairly orderly.

I think it would be great to find someone compatible to share room with but Its pretty close quarters to have to share such a small area with. I went on a cruise with a dear friend from work. She is a fine person but also, as I discovered, a clutterer. I should have checked her apartment before agreeing to share a cabin. By Day 2 of the cruise the only surface in the room not covered with junk or clothing was MY BED! If your a neat freak like me be careful who you agree to share with no matter how nice the person. Thankfully my sisters and my boyfriend, the only other people I've ever cruised/shared cabin with, are fairly orderly.

I was very lucky.

That being said, we met another cruiser who had a roommate from Hell. It was her "friend". She had no idea the roommate would take over the room and set all the rules.

I had a girl adopt me, I guess I fit the bill of her mother. We got along great. On another solo, got to be friends with another solo cruiser. We've been twice now as cabin mates.

We should sail together sometime :D!

Know any guys you would be compatible with for the cruise? Offer cruise to them for a few $100. Cruising solo works best for self starter types comfortable in various social situations. Are you familiar with your ports? Did you look up ships excursions? When alone you can go where you want, do what you want without regard to other persons tastes. Enjoy.

Couldn't agree more with TriciaEMTB. I did my first cruise solo too. I've vacationed with friends in the past, and at times, I didn't get to do what I really wanted due to majority rule. That cruise, on the other hand, was all about my wishes. Whether it was enjoying the ship's activities, wandering around Key West, dancing the limbo in a spring break bar in Cozumel, I had full control of what to do, when, and with whom.

I was amazed by how friendly everybody was on the ship; when I went to a resort many years ago, my experience was the complete opposite. On the cruise, people started conversations with me just because, even just to point out another ship in the distance; I quickly got comfortable enough to do the same. My assigned MDR table provided a nice "home port" to share stories and compare notes. (And my cabin was the "dry dock".) At one point, I got adopted by two friends traveling together. We ended up having a shared interest of dancing, so we spent a lot of time hanging out at dance parties.

And like Tricia pointed out, it was a big self-esteem boost that I flew across the country, spent a day in a strange city (pre-cruise stay), and sailed for 4 days on a ship full of strangers, all on my own, and had a blast in the process. My friends, a lot of whom "would never cruise alone", seemed to enjoy my cruise stories. I will probably be doing my future cruises solo too; the complete freedom of what to do was amazing.

Similar experience. Used to cruise SOLO exclusively (loved that 145-150% of DO rate:D). Met a younger lady at our singles tables in the MDR on a Glory cruise and ended up as cabin mates for another cruise and cruisemate for still another. We both loved cruising and saw this as a way to cut costs and always have someone to pal around with WHEN WE WANTED TO.

I usually prefer SOLO cruising because MY SCHEDULE is the schedule that is used that way. Only since Carnival went to 200% of DO solo rates have I found a fellow cruiser, my age and profession that loves to play Gin Rummy and gamble. He clobbers the Blackjack tables and I hit the Texas Hold'em Poker table and we steal loot from each other in between playing Gin.

With all due respect to my fellow cruisemate, I would PREFER to cruise SOLO, but the finances at this time don't allow it. Go where you want to, do what you want to, go to bed when you want to, get up when you want to . . . I think you get the picture . . . lends a certain air of FREEDOM to it.

I'll probably get flamed, but I know several married men that are happily married and love their wives, but, when trapped, they admit the only reason they don't want to try cruising is because, to be frank, they don't want to spend 24 hours a day for a solid week with their wives. :rolleyes:

Going on my 4th solo cruise in February, you will have a great time, join your roll call and maybe you can meet up with folks there, please come back and tell us how your cruise was.

Archived