Papeete disembarkation day what to do

traz

We are booked on the Jewels of the Pacific 03-14-13. The last day, 4-7-13, we disembark in Papeete and the flight doesn't leave until 9 pm. Does Oceania make any provisions for us to do and or store our luggage for the day?

On Princess on our tahiti cruise they allowed us the use of the ship for the day.

Any info would be appreciated so I know if I need to make other arrangements.

Thanks

We docked in May and the ship provided your day arrangements as long as you booked the ship to airport transfers through Oceania. They took your luggage from the dock directly to the airport. Passengers were taken to various hotels where they were allowed to use the facilities for the day at no added cost. One large meeting room was provided at the hotel with complimentary beverages and towels available throughout the day. No meals were included but you could purchase whatever you wanted at the hotel restaurants. You were then bussed to the airport in the evening where you had to pick up your luggage and take it to the airline check-in counter.

An option was available on a first come first served basis to get a hotel room for the day at an additional cost. I don't remember what that cost was, but I do know that the available rooms did all go because a friend on the cruise was unable to get one by the time she got her paperwork in.

We're on the Jewels of the Pacific cruise that starts on 4/7/13 (we'll wave as we pass on the pier!). We just got a letter from our TA about the late flight. It says "Oceania will provide luggage storage and a transfer schedule prior to disembarkation."

The letter went on to say that "a limited number of day rooms" would be available at the Radisson, the Le Meridien and the Manava for $149.00 per person. They stressed the need to book early as the numbers of rooms is "extremely limited".

Bob

$149 per person is not a bad price for Tahiti. I'd grab it while it's still available. Food at the hotels is expensive (approx $27-$30 for a cheese burger but it does come with fries!). I assume you're flying Air Tahiti Nui if you're departing at night...be sure to eat before going to the airport because the food on ATN is amazingly awful.

I can't talk about Papeete, but I CAN talk about getting a day room on a day such as this.

When we did our Kenya-Tanzania safari in August 1987 (!) we flew from NYC via Amsterdam. We arrived there in the early morning but our flight to Nairobi didn't leave until around 10pm.

So we had a day room (thanks to our tour agency) -- went there, napped and then went into Amsterdam for dinner. Came back to the airport, waited a bit and boarded the flight.

A LOT better than hanging around with nothing to do!

In that case our flights were 8 hours in each direction, so the day room was a blessing.

It sounds like the return from the South Pacific is a similar situation.

Mura

April 7 is a sunday, and Hawaiian Airlines flies 5 hours to Honolulu on Sunday morning. ( it goes Honolulu to Tahiti on Saturday evening and turns around at midnight.) Since the Marina arrives in port the morning of April 6 for an overnight, you could request the option of the Hawaiian Air flight. ( much better food and plane)

Then 4.5 hour flight to LA to SF. A much nicer route, and you might engineer a lay-over in Honolulu. Trans pacific flights get a stop-over free as I recall.

This woulf also mean than you woulf still be in your cabin and take a taxi direct from the ship at 11 pm on the 6th !!! No day room needed.

An option to consider to avoid Tahiti Nui and deadheading around down town Papteete.. ( which is not very nice.. just a busy port)

Archived