Cruising with a 4 Month Year Old

raria

Hi,

We had the bright idea (maybe not so bright)

that we would cruise with our 4 month year old

on the Dawn since it was better to cruise with them

before they got too old and started running around

too much.

Any tips, suggestions?

Are we crazy, at the time the idea sounded great.

Our baby is a good sleeper but our wife will have to

take it in turns seeing shows.

BOth of our kids have gone cruising when they were less than (1) year old, and my son actually went at 4 months.

It was fine--if you are willing, and flexible, it will be great.

We did have to take turns seeing things, and turn in early at night sometimes, but overall, it was great. And, we have some great pictures of our kids in Mexico, etc, when they were babies.

I haven't been on NCL with the kids (only Disney), but would suggest that you be sure to ask for extras from your cabin steward---Things like, a crib, a diaper genie. ALso, the servers may also help with the baby. We were able to get a whole half gallon of soy milk for our daughter on one cruise--which was GREAT!!!

Most excursions won't allow small children, so you will have to be creative on what to do while in port.

Hope that helps!

Eva

Hi, We took our (then) 4 month old daughter on NCL's Sun last year and we had a great time. She loved the nightly musical shows and anything else to do with music onboard. She had a highchair at dinner and sat through it each night but 1 on a 5 day cruise. There were 2 reasons why this cruise worked so well for us #1 - she slept through the night and #2 - we brought a comfortable stroller that could recline completely for nap time and diaper changes (no change tables on board). She can sleep through anything, so when she was tired, she'd just close her eyes and sleep in the stroller. The cruise line provided the highchair at dinner and a crib with bedding in the room. You have to bring your own formula (if not nursing) and any baby food with you though. Also a good idea to bring any medications that your baby might need too, as the ship's doctor's don't usually know how much to give a baby.

Raria ~ we took our DD to the Outer Banks, NC when she was just 4 months old and we absolutely had a blast with her. She, too, was sleeping through the night by then. She's now 2 years old and will be going with us on our next cruise (so will our DS who is 7 now). I think if you go with an adventurous and flexible attitude, you all will be just fine. Keep in mind that you can do anything on a cruise ship that you would normally do at home (except driving of course :) ). So, why not enjoy it while being pampered a little bit?????

Have a blast!!! I know you will.

I LOVE traveling with babies that age and am purposely planning my next cruise for when my expectant baby is 3 1/2 or 4 months old. For one, babies usually love to be outdoors - and there are lots of opportunities for that on a cruise. And it really is easy when they aren't mobile yet. We carried our last one in carriers everywhere we went. I used a sling-type carrier and my hubby used a snugli-type carrier. I also breastfed which made being out and about super easy. No bottles, formula, whatever to carry around. And although he was not yet sleeping through the night, he was right next to me, so noone was disturbed when he woke, except me, :D .

You'll love it. Besides, who needs constant pampering, cooking and cleaning more than the parents of a 4 month old. Anyway, I'm sure you sense my excitement and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Hi,

Are we crazy, at the time the idea sounded great.

Our baby is a good sleeper but our wife will have to

take it in turns seeing shows.

One more thing, I second the vote to bring the baby to a show and try it out. The baby may sleep right through it. Good luck!!!

Archived