smoking on RCL

what do you think breathing is?

I think it is breath. It doesn't adhere to food, utensils, people as easily as something moist. That is why breathing isn't as big of a concern but when the breath is attached to something moist, like a sneeze or magic ecig vapor, it becomes a bigger concern. You really don't see the difference ?

I think it is breath. It doesn't adhere to food, utensils, people as easily as something moist. That is why breathing isn't as big of a concern but when the breath is attached to something moist, like a sneeze or magic ecig vapor, it becomes a bigger concern. You really don't see the difference ?

u really do? what about the water vapor your breath makes on a cold morning? really, there are more important things to be concerned with, now having said that, i do think it somewhat rude to use anything in an elevator, whether it be an ecig, or a child blowing bubbles...there is that breath clinging to bubbles...

I'll steer the conversation slightly and get flamed (pun intended and I don't care if you flame) I detest the E-cig'rs who make a point to use those things in the airport jetway or in elevators on the ship. I've even seen one use them in the dining room. To me this is the equivalent of sneezing and not covering your mouth. Think about it water vapor comes from inside your lungs, from your throat and your mouth, right into everyone else's noses.

I'm wondering how this is really any different than just exhaling in general? I thought the point of covering your mouth when you sneeze was to help keep the germs from others. Are you saying that there are more germs in the "smoke" from the ecigs?

no worse than blowing bubbles, dreadful little diseased children sending the germs high flying over people to land unexpectedly on someones nose and POP...instant retrovirus!!! should be outlawed and as soon as i unpack my rumrnners from my formal jeans and flipflops i intend tyo write a strongly worded letter on their own stationary

u really do? what about the water vapor your breath makes on a cold morning? really, there are more important things to be concerned with, now having said that, i do think it somewhat rude to use anything in an elevator, whether it be an ecig, or a child blowing bubbles...there is that breath clinging to bubbles...

I'm not a doctor or scientist. I'm not saying it should be banned. I'm just saying it kind of grosses me out. The same way when someone sneezes or coughs without covering their mouth and nose. I'm not asking to ban uncovered sneezing or coughing but that grosses me out also.

Why is it rude to use an ecig in an elevator if it is no more harmful than breathing ?

I'm not a doctor or scientist. I'm not saying it should be banned. I'm just saying it kind of grosses me out. The same way when someone sneezes or coughs without covering their mouth and nose. I'm not asking to ban uncovered sneezing or coughing but that grosses me out also.

Why is it rude to use an ecig in an elevator if it is no more harmful than breathing ?

for the same reason i wouldn't suck on a lollipop in an elevator, or eat my ice cream in one, but that is just me...

Regarding the effect electronic cigarettes have on the passive smokers, it has been established in a study conducted by Utah Vapers that the vapor that is exhaled by electronic cigarette smokers doesn't contain any nicotine in it and the people around the electronic cigarette smokers, therefore, aren't exposed to nicotine. Other substances present in the exhaled vapor are well below the limits prescribed by FDA. All these findings prove that the health of passive smokers is not at all affected by electronic cigarettes.

BTW - I could have sworn that the smoking policy also prohibited ecigs in the non-smoking areas. I was trying to find that and could not. Do we know for sure what the official word is on ecigs? FWIW, I think they should be allowed everywhere.

RCI's written policy does not appear to mention e-cigs.

On sister line Celebrity the written policy is that ecig's are treated the same as regular cigs, they are only permitted in the designated smoking areas.

Personally I do not care if someone is using an e-cig near me, but I could see why cruise lines and other establishments would not want them to be used in non-smoking areas as someone not familiar with them (or from a bit of a distance) may not realize what they are. Would lead to some people becoming upset as well as wasted staff time investigating complaints (and also make it easier for some smokers who do not respect the rules to try and sneak a smoke and claim it was an ecig if questioned later).

Regarding the effect electronic cigarettes have on the passive smokers, it has been established in a study conducted by Utah Vapers that the vapor that is exhaled by electronic cigarette smokers doesn't contain any nicotine in it and the people around the electronic cigarette smokers, therefore, aren't exposed to nicotine. Other substances present in the exhaled vapor are well below the limits prescribed by FDA. All these findings prove that the health of passive smokers is not at all affected by electronic cigarettes.

FYI you are referencing one study which happens to support your belief. There are many studies and the overall results are inconclusive. While it is clear the ecigs are a lot safer than regular cigarettes, to purport that they have been "proven" to be completely safe would be highly inaccurate.

BTW - I could have sworn that the smoking policy also prohibited ecigs in the non-smoking areas. I was trying to find that and could not. Do we know for sure what the official word is on ecigs? FWIW, I think they should be allowed everywhere.

i always ask at guest relations and was always told okay, this has been on monarch, allure and freedom, all this year...most people dont smoke them as a cigarette, for they are stronger, a puf or two equals what u get from a cigarette, each cartridge a pack...

FYI you are referencing one study which happens to support your belief. There are many studies and the overall results are inconclusive. While it is clear the ecigs are a lot safer than regular cigarettes, to purport that they have been "proven" to be completely safe would be highly inaccurate.

and do you have an opposing study that says second hand vapor is harmful? anywhere? i am off this thread now because it has gotten , well silly.

I definitely have smelled cigarette smoke on numerous occasions while on balconies with the ship sailing. If you have a decent sense of smell, you will smell it if there is a smoker nearby. . .

On our first few balcony cruises, I don't recall smelling smoke at all. I just don't remember noticing it. On our last cruise, I made it a point to look for it because of these frequent [and frequently entertaining] threads. I did smell cigarette smoke on occasion, but only in port, and not to any degree that it would keep me off my balcony. I never smelled it while the ship was moving.

for the same reason i wouldn't suck on a lollipop in an elevator, or eat my ice cream in one, but that is just me...

Aren't the Utah Vapors the new professional dodgeball team in Utah ?

I tried to follow that link but couldn't find the actual study, only that quote. I'm sure the Utah Vapers wouldn't have any agenda to promote.

I would think the vapor itself would test as not harmful. It is once it goes into a persons body that the gross stuff would become part of the vapor.

That's my theory and I plan on publishing my study through the Caribbean Paranoid Breathers.

and do you have an opposing study that says second hand vapor is harmful? anywhere? i am off this thread now because it has gotten , well silly.

There are many studies showing they are harmful (though there is a fair amount of consensus they are far less harmful than conventional cigarettes).

Here is one study: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-09-02/e-cigarettes-not-tied-to-risk-of-heart-disease-in-study

Electronic cigarettes are too new for conclusive remarks to be made about their health and safety - especially with regards to long term usage. The only thing "silly" is to just look at information that supports your own biased opinion.

On our first few balcony cruises, I don't recall smelling smoke at all. I just don't remember noticing it. On our last cruise, I made it a point to look for it because of these frequent [and frequently entertaining] threads. I did smell cigarette smoke on occasion, but only in port, and not to any degree that it would keep me off my balcony. I never smelled it while the ship was moving.

There are some advantages to having a poor sense of smell; that is one of them.

There are many studies showing they are harmful (though there is a fair amount of consensus they are far less harmful than conventional cigarettes).

Here is one study: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-09-02/e-cigarettes-not-tied-to-risk-of-heart-disease-in-study

Electronic cigarettes are too new for conclusive remarks to be made about their health and safety - especially with regards to long term usage. The only thing "silly" is to just look at information that supports your own biased opinion.

i believe the topic was more along the line of "second hand" vapor harm.

and my opinion isn't biased, i have read many studies, none, zero, zip have said they are more harmful than cigarettes....all, 100% whole enchilada agree that if you want nicotine, the vapor is far less harmful than .

cigarettes.nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine once you strip away everything piled into a cigarette... please give me 1 study that says otherwise...one study that says second hand vapor is detrimental to your health...i will wait..while you search the vastness of the internet, and medical professionals will tell u, if you want a nicotine ingestion system, ecigs are your best bet....now maybe...just maybe... you don't like people holding on to the appearence of smoking....

I am asking this not to start a row [really], but simply because I want to know. Something I have never understood about ecigs, perhaps some of you users could explain:

I see these commercials on TV where all the beautiful healthy people are using them saying something to the effect that ecigs are just like regular cigarettes but without the bad stuff [i assume except the nicotine]. That is, because it is not burning, there is no smoke, the "smoke" is merely water vapor. They "look, feel and taste" like regular cigarettes, but what is exhaled is just water vapor.

I am not a scientist [took biology, chemistry and physics in High School, basic biology in college] but I don't understand how the "smoker" can inhale the nicotine laden mist that looks and tastes like cigarette smoke, and exhale the same stuff without it smelling the same to folks in the vicinity. Maybe because water vapor is cooler and heavier than smoke it won't travel as far. Never been around an ecig user that I was aware of, so I don't know how it smells, but I am curious. And I wonder what is in the water vapor beside nicotine to make them "taste" like cigarettes.

and my opinion isn't biased, i have read many studies, none, zero, zip have said they are more harmful than cigarettes....all, 100% whole enchilada agree that if you want nicotine, the vapor is far less harmful than .

cigarettes.

Yes, you are quite biased. Did you even read what I said? I indicated that the vaping is safer than smoking. What you had said was that vaping has been "proven" to be safe. That is far from the truth and you are either being misleading or you are grossly misinformed. There is not enough research accumulated yet to "prove" anything about vaping and so far the research out there is mixed - while it is pretty certain vaping is better than smoking, it is is pretty clear that vaping is not 100% safe and that it is better to do nothing than to vape. These are facts, not opinions. Personally I am not opposed to people vaping (or being near to them) and if it can help someone quit smoking then it is a great resource. At this point vaping should be used as a short term aid in smoking cessation though, and not as a permanent replacement to smoking - at least until more research comes to fruition on long term use.

I am not a scientist [took biology, chemistry and physics in High School, basic biology in college] but I don't understand how the "smoker" can inhale the nicotine laden mist that looks and tastes like cigarette smoke, and exhale the same stuff without it smelling the same to folks in the vicinity. Maybe because water vapor is cooler and heavier than smoke it won't travel as far. Never been around an ecig user that I was aware of, so I don't know how it smells, but I am curious. And I wonder what is in the water vapor beside nicotine to make them "taste" like cigarettes.

As a non-smoker who hates smoking the e-cigs smell nothing like cigarettes. I do not believe they taste like cigarettes, but are sold in various flavors.

I am asking this not to start a row [really], but simply because I want to know. Something I have never understood about ecigs, perhaps some of you users could explain:

I see these commercials on TV where all the beautiful healthy people are using them saying something to the effect that ecigs are just like regular cigarettes but without the bad stuff [i assume except the nicotine]. That is, because it is not burning, there is no smoke, the "smoke" is merely water vapor. They "look, feel and taste" like regular cigarettes, but what is exhaled is just water vapor.

they have different flavours, peppermint, cola, chocolate, and some places even allow you to create your own flvour, but, i guess, and only guess here, that it would be like taking a sip of lemonaid, unless you were actually smelling the persons breath...nose inside mouth like mamma checkin for liquor on an 17 year old, you wouldn't smell it.i use them and reg cigs , but i went down from a pack a day to a pack every 10 days or so.. they are great ffor me in the car or in my house, but just like i wouldn't just light up a gigarette, i don't just whip the suckers out at dinner and look like the penguin in a batman cartoon....wahwaahwah

I was just on Allure; the current policy is horrible for non-smokers who dislike the smell of smoke, have a good sense of smell and are accustomed to smoke free environments. The Allure caters to smokers and well over half the public venues either permit smoking, or are impacted by nearby smoking areas. RCI is going to have to make significant changes fast or they will be losing lots of customers because of their archaic smoking policy.

Yeah that's a shame, maybe the CL should have screening test to find out the different levels of passengers sense of smell. As I'm sure they were completely unaware of your super natural sense of smell..

Yeah that's a shame, maybe the CL should have screening test to find out the different levels of passengers sense of smell. As I'm sure they were completely unaware of your super natural sense of smell..

Gee that's funny. :rolleyes:

Non smokers will complain about anything that looks like a cigarette.

I remember going on cruises when you could smoke in the sports bar (Carnival) the place was packed. Last cruise I went on (Carnival) right after they stopped smoking in the sports bar I swear the bar was empty 95% of the cruise. It's like the nonsmokers don't really want to use a certain location they just don't want the smokers to use it.

Archived