Arriving early in Sydney, what to do with luggage till boarding/checkin?

mcpepe

Hi all,

I did a search and came up with a thread many years old and also read back 6 pages with no help.

We are arriving from LAX into Sydney at 7:50 am. Our ship, the Oosterdam, departs Circular Quay and does not leave till 6:30. I figure by the time we clear customs and get to the ship, it may be 10-10:30?

Does anyone have any experience with what time I will be allowed to give my luggage to the porters? I understand I may not be able to actually check in and/or access the ship until later but we were hoping to get rid of our luggage and see some of Sydney before boarding.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Thank you!

The porters will be there way before you get there, so no problem checking in your bags. We have found most times, the boarding line begins to move around 11am, sometimes earlier. Either way, head straight for the ship, porters will be waiting kerbside. If they are not boarding early, then it is a beautiful area to walk around....very easy even with carryon. Stroll around and have a gander at the Opera House. You will get great pics of the bridge and ship from there.

Jen

• 2 weeks later...
The porters will be there way before you get there, so no problem checking in your bags. We have found most times, the boarding line begins to move around 11am, sometimes earlier. Either way, head straight for the ship, porters will be waiting kerbside. If they are not boarding early, then it is a beautiful area to walk around....very easy even with carryon. Stroll around and have a gander at the Opera House. You will get great pics of the bridge and ship from there.

Jen

And be sure to stroll around the Royal Botanical Gardens. They're lovely & close...

And be sure to stroll around the Royal Botanical Gardens. They're lovely & close...

Yes, great suggestion. The walk from The Opera House around via the harbour, takes 20 mins max to the Botanical Gardens. Once there, check our Mrs Macquaries Chair....renown as the best views in Sydney, and free. It is within the gardens, and overlooks the harbour. The Overseas Passenger Terminal is also right at The Rocks area. btw, the walk from your ship to Opera House will only take a few minutes, can't miss it...so no need to give instructions.

We usually allow 2 hrs to get off plane, collect baggage, do customs etc. Sometimes it is far less, usually an hr, but if at a busy time could be 2 hrs.

Jen

Great Suggestion you will love the gardens. Don't forget the free shuttle bus that does route 555 Cbd route. Basically a loop from Circular Quay down to central.

Archived