New TSA Locks

Krazy Kruizers

Here in Pittsburgh, at least in my experiences, TSA locks are the only suitcase padlocks that will not be cut off.

Since about two years ago, we found that anytime we used the older type of suitcase locks, we could expect to find that they had been cut off. Before that time, it was hit or miss. We then purchased the TSA locks and have never had them cut off or opened. Our metal Brinks TSA combination locks (Walmart $5.99) have a green dot that changes to red if the lock has been opened. (I think they're all like that).

The TSA guard questions us about whether or not the suitcase is locked every time we walk our bags to the X-Ray machine. In fact, when I flew in August, I neglected to close the lock and the TSA agent is the one who noticed it and asked me to close the lock.

Mary

[quote name='Nonna and Papa'].

Since about two years ago, we found that anytime we used the older type of suitcase locks, we could expect to find that they had been cut off. Before that time, it was hit or miss. We then purchased the TSA locks and have never had them cut off or opened. Our metal Brinks TSA combination locks (Walmart $5.99) [B]have a green dot that changes to red if the lock has been opened. (I think they're all like that).[/B]

Mary[/QUOTE]

You have the elite version. Some do (cost a little more) some don't. I have the don't kind. Kinda wish I had the do kind.

I use the TSA locks as well. I've had my bags checked 1 of my last 3 flights. I figured that the bag that had all my electronic stuff in it (cell phone charger, PDA charger, extra camera batteries) would get checked, especially flying from Europe, and I was right. It was cool that the lock worked the way it was supposed to and was not cut off.

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][B]On our recent flight home from Boston - one of our bags was opened - first time in a couple of years. Glad we had the TSA locks on the suitcases or the lock would have been cut off.[/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, the reason it was opened is because you had the TSA lock on it.

[quote name='kewlguy']I don't know what the obsession with TSA locks is. We still use the regular locks and have never had our luggage opened during any domestic or international flights. Are people under the assumption that you HAVE TO use TSA locks because if that's the case I can assure you that you don't. I can't believe people would actually spend $12.00 on a TSA lock that you don't even need.[/quote]

I think you've just been lucky so far. I've had my luggage opened 2 x's now. Its hit or miss...random which bags they choose. Someday they'll pick yours and your lock will be cut off.

AND...both times I did not have any lock but used the cable ties. They closed up the luggage with a twist tie and left a note.

[quote name='debshomespun']Target has TSA locks for $7.99 each. I got 3 of them last year at christmas time, and used them in the spring. Very easy to use, and no problems.[/quote]
:D Great to hear...that is where I bought our locks.

[quote name='kewlguy']Actually, the reason it was opened is because you had the TSA lock on it.[/quote]
Nope, used TSA locks on four flight now and on four pieces of luggage, only had one checked so far. I even had a lock on a shrinkwrapped (not TSA wrapping) piece of luggage and it wasn't checked.

[quote name='chrisbd1']Nope, used TSA locks on four flight now and on four pieces of luggage, only had one checked so far. I even had a lock on a shrinkwrapped (not TSA wrapping) piece of luggage and it wasn't checked.[/QUOTE]

My point was that your bag is more likely to be searched if you have a TSA lock on it. A lot of people think it's the law that you have to use TSA locks and I'm here to tell you that you don't. Our luggage never being searched has nothing to do with luck. If others choose to use TSA locks that's their choice. We won't use them.

[quote name='kewlguy']My point was that your bag is more likely to be searched if you have a TSA lock on it. A lot of people think it's the law that you have to use TSA locks and I'm here to tell you that you don't. Our luggage never being searched has nothing to do with luck. If others choose to use TSA locks that's their choice. We won't use them.[/quote]

Ok...then given your theory that bags with TSA locks get searched, how do you explain that 2 x's I had my bag searched and neither time did they have any locks on them. Once was in 2004, the other time was last August when we flew to San Diego (not for a cruise). I have flown many times between those 2 times and my bags have never been searched. I didn't have anything on my bag the first time it was searched and a cable tie the 2nd time around. I typically use cable ties.

I don't think your theory holds water. Its just a matter of chance. They have to search so many bags and the rest go through. You really haven't flown that many times, so its just a matter of luck that your bag has not been searched. You really can't create a theory on the few times you have flown and not had your luggage opened.

You are correct that it is not a "law" that TSA locks need to be used, but a suggestion. The TSA does promise however that if your bag is the lucky one picked to be searched, it will cut off the lock if it is not a TSA lock.

[quote name='vmom']Ok...then given your theory that bags with TSA locks get searched, how do you explain that 2 x's I had my bag searched and neither time did they have any locks on them. Once was in 2004, the other time was last August when we flew to San Diego (not for a cruise). I have flown many times between those 2 times and my bags have never been searched. I didn't have anything on my bag the first time it was searched and a cable tie the 2nd time around. I typically use cable ties.

I don't think your theory holds water. Its just a matter of chance. They have to search so many bags and the rest go through. You really haven't flown that many times, so its just a matter of luck that your bag has not been searched. You really can't create a theory on the few times you have flown and not had your luggage opened.

You are correct that it is not a "law" that TSA locks need to be used, but a suggestion. The TSA does promise however that if your bag is the lucky one picked to be searched, it will cut off the lock if it is not a TSA lock.[/QUOTE]

Well, your bags are even more likely to be searched if they have no locks verses having TSA locks. I can't imagine people not locking their luggage at all. We even lock our carry ons. We flew nine flights in 2006 and five so far in 2007. Since when is 14 flights in two years considered a "few times" ?

• 2 weeks later...
My dad used to say, "Locks only keep out honest people." I use those plastic sliding tie locks. If one is cut off, I'll know someone opened my bag. If they arrive intact, I figure no one got into my stuff. With a lock, esp a TSA lock, someone could open your bag and relock it w/o you ever knowing. If you use tie locks put a pair of fingernail clippers in an outside (unlocked) pocket for easy removal. I also put extra ties in that pocket. A pen or pencil can also be used to break the tie... just don't pull the tie all the way closed, leave room for the pen. Just insert the pen in the loop and turn it. The tie will break. I use the smallest ones I can find. Nothing is going to keep someone out of your suitcase if they are determined to get into it and have the opportunity. Locking my suitcase has one purpose... to keep it shut in transit, not to keep the contents "safe".

On excursions in high pickpocket crime areas, if you use a backpack (and wear it on your back) put twist-ties or tie locks on the zippers so they can't be opened without your knowledge.

[quote name='MEcruzr']My dad used to say, "Locks only keep out honest people." I use those plastic sliding tie locks. If one is cut off, I'll know someone opened my bag. If they arrive intact, I figure no one got into my stuff. With a lock, esp a TSA lock, someone could open your bag and relock it w/o you ever knowing. If you use tie locks put a pair of fingernail clippers in an outside (unlocked) pocket for easy removal. I also put extra ties in that pocket. [/quote]

I do the same thing, except that I keep my fingernail clipper in my carryon stuff so I have access to it immediately. No problem with TSA now that it is permitted.

I've got TSA locks and they seem to work just fine. Mine are the combination kind, so I don't have to worry about where I've "stored" the keys. I actually have twice as many locks as I do suitcases. I pack the extras in the suitcases, so, if something does happen to the lock, I have another one to use. Mine are very bright colored, so they also help me find my bags....

I just came back from a business trip. I have an AT hard-sided spinner. The latches lock with a key and it has a combination lock. I had locked the latches and when I got to security at the airport, they asked if my luggage was locked. I said yes, and asked if they had a key. He said no, I could just wait a minute or two for the suitcase to be scanned. If there was a problem, I would be there to open it. Same on both ends, no problem. My guess is you don’t have to have a TSA lock if you are willing to wait?

BTW I also have a TSA lock for my soft-sided luggage.

Archived