Diamond on Royal- Why did I try Carnival My review if a Carnival Cruise

Venusleo1

You will have a nice time on the Freedom. As far as breakfast, I recommend you get an omelette or fried eggs at the omelette station. There is also the option to get these, as well as eggs Benedict and Belgium waffles at the dining room for breakfast. I have been on Carnival Freedom once, and have another cruise booked on her in January. Go with an open mind and enjoy!

Thanx! Will keep that breakfast option in mind .... and yes, you are right and we ARE going with an open mind and I just know we will have a good time regardless! We just got off the Oasis in May .... and that was EVERYTHING and more!! We loved it .... we don't have those kind of expectations with this trip .... it will just be nice to get away and be on a ship on the open seas again .... the rest is gravy!! :)

Don't be discouraged! On my last cruise (and on all my CCL cruises) our room steward was perfectly respectful, and kept our suite in good order (something not easy to do with 3 girls who brought plenty of luggage).

I'm not one for breakfast, but they always had omlets ready made that were better than the scrambled eggs, plus several other offerings. I was heavy into weight watchers at that point, so I mostly had a hard-boiled egg, various fruits, and a slice of cheese. But there was always some sort of danish that called out to me, and hot chocolate/coffee machines that made a delicious cup of hot chocolate.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sounds great! We will have a great time ... and just be happy to be cruising! :)

Thank you so much for the great review. It was very detailed. We tried Carnival three times hoping it would somehow get better but for us it never happened. My husband said even if it was a free cruise he would never go back. I guess to each is own.

I did a 4 day CCL cruise out of Boston this summer. They want to start bringing ships into the Boston area. They may bring them in, but i won't on one when it sails. It was the pits to put it mildly. One shot deal. Royal, I'm yours

As a fellow Bostonian, I couldn't agree more!!

I found it sad that the OP had to name the Cabin Steward on this site.

He sounds like he was already terrified of losing his job.

We know the cruise lines read comments on this site, so if they have read

this review he has probably been fired by now. :eek:

Our first two cruises were on Carnival. We wanted to take them because they were supposed to be the "Fun Ships". After our first cruise, we weren't sold on cruising. Did the Mexican Riveara and we had a "so so" time. Then we decided to try cruising one more time. We did the Western Caribbean on Carnival. I thought the food in the MDR was good with the exception of the Eggs Benedict. Everytime I ordered them, they were hard as rocks. I thought the buffet was a bit lame and after sailing with RCCL, find that CCL's buffet is very lame and the layout causing long lines. We never have been to a formal night on any of our cruises because we don't want to dress in tuxes and ballgowns but also wanted to be courteous to all the passengers who like to dress up. I have been told on all my cruises that what I wore to dinner would have been appropriate. On the non-formal nights CCL definately lets people in for dinner wearing torn pants, baggy gangster pants, baseball caps, and flip flops!

As to the passengers, I too noticed the makeup of the passengers and the vast number of them being rude to other passengers and just downright mean to the staff - yelling and cussing at the staff by the pool because some guy's wife slipped and fell getting out of the pool; people returning to the bar demanding more alcohol in their drink implying there wasn't any in it at all; a guy buys a bucket of beers, hands them out to his buddies, allows the staff to remove the empty bucket then goes back to the bar yelling that the stupid staff took his bucket full of beers and harasses them until they give him a new one!

We decided to give RCCL a try. I am glad we did. Would I ever cruise Carnival again? I might given the particular ports. I would love to see Hawaii and RCCL only presents the opportunity twice per year. I would also like to try them with the toned down look and the 2.0 upgrades. But, I would have to be pretty desparate to return to them.

OP, that sounds very much like you were on Carnival. We were, again, last March and that will probably be the last time. It wasn't anything specific, it just wasn't as "nice" as some other lines we've been on, and now they've done unfortunate things to their loyalty program.

However, we have never, on any line, had a steward try to sell us anything, and we've never had to wait that long for a drink. In all honesty, it sounds like "Romeo" was more than a little nuts. I suspect your steward difficulties were a one-off. But the eggs really are terrible. :D

Well said. I can't imagine a travel agent forming an opinion of a cruise line THAT THEY'VE NEVER BEEN ON!

I feel bad for their customers.

It probably has a lot to do with the TA's clientèle I suppose. If most of your customers are middle aged foks with a few bucks to spare then I'd steer them clear of Carnival as well. Our TA will not recommend a Carnival cruise to certain people, she just knows they won't enjoy it and she's right.

It probably has a lot to do with the TA's clientèle I suppose. If most of your customers are middle aged foks with a few bucks to spare then I'd steer them clear of Carnival as well. Our TA will not recommend a Carnival cruise to certain people, she just knows they won't enjoy it and she's right.

Even clientele aside, someone who is familiar with the industry does not have to necessarily go on board to know the ins and outs of it. I have never taken a CCL cruise, nor have I taken a Princess cruise, Azamara cruise, Windjammer cruise, etc, but due to my experience and my profession, I'm quite familiar with the lines and I do know that there is good cause for some of the stereotypes that accompany them (good and bad). I'm not a TA, but I can usually suggest an appropriate cruise line for people I know based on the way they are.

I would assume most TAs who live and breathe cruises could do the same.

Interesting review. I guess to each his own, right?

I much prefer Royal - but I've only sailed the Freedom Class - where they pool deck is so much better than the older ships with the H20 Zone and the Solarium.

But I also loved our Carnival cruises. We went on the 2 of the oldest ships they use (the Holiday no longer is in their fleet), but we paid about 75% of what a Royal cruise would have costed.

It's all about value for the dollar. If I want a cheap cruise, I will expect a little less. Personally we loved watching people hoot and holler on sail away - they were obviously loving their cruise - their excitement was infectious.

I will say this though: From my perspective, Carnival does a better job rewarding their past guests. It may not be with the perks and coupons, but with the past guest rates which are $150-$250 pp less.

However, I too would be put off by a room steward trying to sell me a towel. Is that really Carnival policy now? Bad move if it's true.

Each to their own. That's why the cruise industry is served by the Carnivals, Royals, Cunards, and Garguins, etc.

Like has been said before - a mediocre day cruising is better than the best day at work. And, if I saved $250 per person for the week picking Carnival over Royal - I don't expect the flowrider, H2O zone, Ice Rink, or Salmon on my bagel. I'm ok with that - after all, I'm the one who clicked "ok" on the visa payment screen.

You have a very smart TA. One that works to know their clients likes and dislikes. One who is smart enough to steer people away from a product that they clearly may not like.

Even clientele aside, someone who is familiar with the industry does not have to necessarily go on board to know the ins and outs of it. I have never taken a CCL cruise, nor have I taken a Princess cruise, Azamara cruise, Windjammer cruise, etc, but due to my experience and my profession, I'm quite familiar with the lines and I do know that there is good cause for some of the stereotypes that accompany them (good and bad). I'm not a TA, but I can usually suggest an appropriate cruise line for people I know based on the way they are.

I would assume most TAs who live and breathe cruises could do the same.

Another person who is on the ball. This is the reason that we have so many cruise lines to choose from. If they were all the same then it would be boring.

:(Well this is discouraging! We will be on the Carnival Freedom next Sunday for a 6 night Western Caribbean. We are Diamond on RCCI and have cruised HAL (loved it) and for our very 1st cruise did a 3/4 night Bahamas thing years ago, just to see if we liked it. We did, but thought we'd like another line better and have been pretty much with Royal since. The only reason we are doing this is because the trip we usually take to celebrate our anniversary this time of year couldn't happen. We usually do an exchange and go to Hawaii for 2 weeks (we are Hilton and Marriott Vacation Club) ... but we had alot going on in January and by the time I got to call there was no availability. I got a great exchange at Hutchinson's Island in FL thru the Vacation Club and then saw the 6 night cruise that coincided so figured why not?! I've done alot of research and visited the boards (will say the Carnival Board doesn't have the same 'nice feel' as RCCI, HAL and Celebrity ... sorta 'scary'!! lol!) ... but we are remaining open minded. Have heard the food isn't all that bad and we figure, we've got a suite, we usually make our own good time, it's only 6 nights and the price was definitely right. This isn't the first time I've heard about the bad breakfast experience at the buffet tho and that will dissappoint both of us as we really enjoy that! But, as I said, we are being optimistic and hoping for the best!! Will let you know in a few weeks!! Sunday to Saturday on the Freedom and then Saturday to Saturday at the Condo .... looking forward to trip anyway!!:)

MMOMOM,

Do not be overly concerned. My husband and I cruise quite a bit, often with our teenage daughter. As a couple we will board, CCl's Miracle for an 8 day on 11/30. With our college-age teen we will board RCCL's Explorer on 1/6/13. In July the three of us will board Celebrity's Solstice for a 7 nighter to Alaska. Alone DH and I will be in a balcony room. With our teen, we book suites, just for the extra room.

We have sailed each of these lines more than once. We have also sailed Disney and NCL. NCL is the only line I will have trouble boarding again. Are there differences between the lines and the ships. Yep. That being written, Carnival has never failed us. I have never seen a drunk running to board a ship in port. In fact..... our last table mates on Carnival were an army Major who was also an M.D., his wife and his four daughters.

My only bad experience with other passengers on a cruise ship happened 23 years ago on a Celebrity ship when a woman who appeared to be drinking most of the time, wanted to get to know my husband better. She and her husband were not sitting at our table in the MDR, but it did not stop her from calling out to my DH or even hitting him with a napkin while she blew him a kiss. That was the frosting on her DH's cake. They did not appear in the MDR for the last two nights of the cruise.

I usually do not eat at the buffets. So I cannot really comment on that.

Relax and enjoy your cruise.

Be well,

Jersey Ralph's wife

OP, thanks and I liked your review as you actually gave a very balanced review. As you know, 2 couples can be on the same cruise and have 2 totally different experiences and opinions.

DW and I are loyal to cruising, more than loyal to any particular cruise line. Of course that is obvious by looking at our signature.:cool:

I agree with you that a TA should suggest which cruise lines their customers should or should not cruise on. But there's a big difference between that and never suggesting a particular cruise line, even trashing that line (calling it "Trash of the Seas") without ever having personally experienced it.

Our last cruise on Carnival was with our grandkids. We are classified as VIRP. We are also D+ on RCI and Gold on NCL. Not bragging just want you to know we're not new to cruising.

The last post here on CC about our spicific cruise said it was the Ghetto Cruise-- 20% of the passengers looked like Gangbangers. I will say this on formal night they, Carnival, did make them take off their baseball caps-- you know the ones turned 45 degrees for dinner. Another 20% were trailer trash. So all in all 40% of the people on board were rude-- to everyone. So with that in mind give the employees a break.

FYI-- our waiter and his assistant -- told us they were assigned to work the windjammer each night to keep the tables cleared from 11PM to 4AM. These people in the windjammer would fill the table to overflowing with dishs and then move to the next table and do the same. I have never ever seen so many double obese people in my life. My wife wondered how they got into the bathroom door-- i wondered how they got into the cabin door--. I'm a big guy 252 lbs but please some cruisers look at yourselves. One person on our deck-- actually had the crew get her out of bed-- I witnessed it-- she got into bed and the bed collapsed and she couldn't get up. wish you could have seen some of the suits-- how did they even know the bottom was still on-- cause you couldn't look down and see it if you tried.

Hey I like carnival but their client's are getting pretty low life.

I meet my cabin person right away-- this is what i tell them:

get rid of that thing you call an ice bucket--and bring me a beer bucket-- fill it 2 times a day with ice. 2- bring my wife an ashtary for the balcony. and 3 hope you find this funny-- I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU -- if i have to see or call you your not doing your job and i won't like that. 4- bring me 3 EXTRA tip envelope's for the end of the cruise and leave them for me now so i can start filling them. 5 show me where you get the ice cause i'm not calling room service for ice. (ice machine door is always open- unlocked)

Wow!! This post should be titled rude and judgmental.

Ummm...why don't you try to read my review again because I never said my worst issue was no salmon for my bagel. Was it an issue yes and it just added to the long list of little things that I wasn't happy about.

Also, I think your confusing my review with another posters comments.

We had that issue on rcl of no salmon and we just asked for it,

And server wonderfully went to kitchen and brought salmon out to us.

We have never sailed carnival

But we know we love Royal Caribbean .

And to others comments.......

Choose your friends on ship just like you would on shore!

It's your fault if you wind up miserable.

• 1 month later...

i just think some passengers treat the workers like there some kind of slave for them. I love these people that work for the cruise lines-- in the hotel side of the business. Can you just imagine week after week getting stuck with some demanding A**.

I have to agree. Our first two cruises were with Carnival. I couldn't get over how rude the pax were with the staff. The staff wasn't engaging and friendly, however I can see why if they are treated that way. Our first RCCL cruise was like a dream compared to CCL!! The staff so friendly and outgoing. We were CCL shareholders so I was astonished to see how pax were treated and how pax treated the staff!!:eek: Of course not everyone was "trailer trash", but I saw an eyefull. Most younger guys were wearing the "gangsta" baseball caps. We actually avoided formal night to give the folks that wanted to dress up not feel our "sloppiness" impinge on their happiness. However, after tablemates said our clothing on regular nights would have been ok and seeing what kids were dressing in flip flops, tank tops, and backward hats, we would have certainly been "overdressed".

After our 2nd CCL cruise we vowed against them again. We are headed to a 3 day "party" cruise on RCCL Majesty. I guess that will be the true test to whether they remain our favorite.

Archived