What to do in Kona Hawaii

OneStrangeGuy

I am booked on the Celebrity Century on the November 19th cruise to Hawaii. On Tue. Nov 27, we stop at the big island at Kona:

At kona I decided that I wanted to see a coffee plantation. I looked around for tours, and didn’t really find what I was looking for. Eventually I gave in and on 7/14 signed up for a ships tour. The tour I selected is called ‘Sense-Sational Kona (KN39)’ The tour will include ‘The original Hawaiian Chocolate factory’, ‘Kona Natural Soap Company’, ‘The award-winning Kona Joe Coffee Farm’, and ‘The old plantation town of Kauinaliu’.

This tour does sound interesting, but… I am now having some reservations about this tour, and wondering if I couldn’t have arranged something better on my own. This may actually be a moot point, because the ships tour is already booked and paid for, and I’m not sure if I can cancel at this point. Nor am I sure just what I would do to replace it. – Does anyone have any experience with this, or thoughts or suggestions on this matter?

kona Joes is an easy drive up if you rent a car. Are YOU interested in the other locations of the tour you booked? I don't think you are going to find the coffee tour that exciting either. It's "basic". There are many drive up "tours" and even more tasting shops. When I see one- I'm there. :)

I agree about the car rental. Thrifty has a location at the hotel across from the pier - The King Kam Hotel. You need to reserve early as there are a limited amount of cars. The airport location is really too far away to make the rental worthwhile. But, the hotel is only a few steps away from the tender pier and rental was easy. The rental desk closes about noon, but you can leave your keys with the hotel clerk. I found I had to book the car from 8 AM one day to 8 AM the next day to coincide with the rental desk hours. No biggie. It doesn't change the price of the car rental. It was still a bargain.

We were going to a coffee plantation, but decided to snorkel instead. That is the beauty of car rental. You can adapt your plans at your whim. At other ports we booked tours. It all depends on what you want to do with your day.

This may actually be a moot point, because the ships tour is already booked and paid for, and I’m not sure if I can cancel at this point. Nor am I sure just what I would do to replace it. – Does anyone have any experience with this, or thoughts or suggestions on this matter?[/font][/size]

Hi One Strange Guy,

I can't help you with Kona as we are on the cruise right before you. I promise to wave as we get off Century as you get on. :D But as a long-time Celebrity cruiser I can tell you that you can cancel any booked shore excursion up to 24 hours before. No problems. Just cancel it on one of your sea days.

My lovely bride just told me you posted this on the X boards so you may have found that out already.

Jim

If you have any interest in seeing undersea life, this is the place to do it. The snorkeling/diving is great here due to the limited sandy beaches (lots of volcanic rock, so higher visibility). Kealekua Bay (Captain Cook) is a great place to go or do the rigid enflatable tour that includes it.

Hi One Strange Guy,

I can't help you with Kona as we are on the cruise right before you. I promise to wave as we get off Century as you get on. :D But as a long-time Celebrity cruiser I can tell you that you can cancel any booked shore excursion up to 24 hours before. No problems. Just cancel it on one of your sea days.

My lovely bride just told me you posted this on the X boards so you may have found that out already.

Jim

Yes. I posted the exact same post in both Hawaii and Celebrity, not being sure which would yield the best results.

It's surprising the number of people I've met who are on the cruise either before or after ours. I will also wave as we board the ship.

By the way, please don't eat to much so that there is at least a sandwich left for our cruise. :p

Thanks for the helpful information.

It looks like we will be renting a car, and finding a plantation on our own. I was looking at maybe Greenwell Farms? since I would really like to see a coffee tree, and a little more of the process than just tasting it. I have also received a number of reccomendations for snorkeling, so while we're planning that for Maui, we will probably repeat it here.

Yes. I posted the exact same post in both Hawaii and Celebrity, not being sure which would yield the best results.

It's surprising the number of people I've met who are on the cruise either before or after ours. I will also wave as we board the ship.

By the way, please don't eat to much so that there is at least a sandwich left for our cruise. :p

Thanks for the helpful information.

It looks like we will be renting a car, and finding a plantation on our own. I was looking at maybe Greenwell Farms? since I would really like to see a coffee tree, and a little more of the process than just tasting it. I have also received a number of reccomendations for snorkeling, so while we're planning that for Maui, we will probably repeat it here.

You need to reserve a car now. Expect high costs and limited availability if going soon. BUT well worth it.

I would also suggest you make a stop at the Co Op, they have some exhibits. Loads of coffee trees all over.

I always go to Two Step, which is superb snorkeling and better compared to most other areas except Cpt Cook. (I kayak out there, but would require very careful use of timing on a day visit and not really recommended)

You need to reserve a car now. Expect high costs and limited availability if going soon. BUT well worth it.

I would also suggest you make a stop at the Co Op, they have some exhibits. Loads of coffee trees all over.

I always go to Two Step, which is superb snorkeling and better compared to most other areas except Cpt Cook. (I kayak out there, but would require very careful use of timing on a day visit and not really recommended)

You're right on with the car, Thrifty was sold out, but found Enterprise right down the road (Less than a mile) for $31, so I figured that I did good.

Thanks all for the advice.

Rent the car.

Can easily drive to Captain Cook Monument at Kealakekua Bay and City of Refuge (Pu`uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Site) as well as Kona Coffee and MacNut plantations.

No you can't "easily drive to the Cpt Cook Monument". You can drive to the BAY, but if this poster is looking for a snorkel trip, it's a multi mile hike in and uphill climb out or kayak trip to the monument. Permits are also required to land the kayak- which is a BIG pain in the a+++ IF you have to tow around the kayak while snorkeling. Both times I was there this year, they were checking permits (which I had).

Archived