Rio hotels

patnlcc

Can anyone advise me on Rio hotels? I see on tripadvisor that they are generally pricey. We'd like to stay at least a couple of days post-cruise in Nov 2013. Which area of the city should we stay in? And which areas should we avoid?

We stayed in Copacabana and it was more reasonable than Ipanema, but I felt more comfortable wandering around Ipanema than I did Copacabana. When you go to the beach you leave all valuables at the hotel and don't take anything with you. We were warned by the hotel staff as well as our private tour guide. The best investment we made was using private guide as we saw more of Rio than we would have using the ship's tours. He also made sure that we were safe the entire time and did take us to the favelo, which was fascinating to see, but once is enough for me. He also got us to the Redeemer before the crowds arrived as well as Sugarloaf so that we missed the crowds and actually could see something and not wait in too long of a lineup.

Since we've never been before, we've done extensive research on this topic for our upcoming stay in Rio. From what I've learned, Ipanema is a good and relatively safe location as is Leblon.

If you need the beach, there's the Sol Ipanema which also has a tiny rooftop pool and bar and has complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas.

If you don't need beach or pool, there's the Mar Ipanema. The Mar has been newly remodeled, is 2 blocks from the beach (umbrellas and beach chairs are provided as well), and the rates are slightly lower. Both hotels were very responsive to our inquiries.

Some B&B's have are highly rated on TA but we're not interested in the Santa Theresa area (reportedly there's safety issues at night) nor do we fancy hiking up/down a hill to get to areas of interest. So, after lots of reading and weighing the pros and cons, we decided on a medium priced (for Rio anyway!) hotel in Ipanema.

Hi Pat,

We stayed at the Porto Bay Rio International on Copacabana Beach a couple of years ago and totally loved it!

The reception staff gave us a free upgrade to the Penthouse suite which was a lovely surprise!

We picked it because of it's high ranking on Tripadvisor but also managed to grab a good deal on it!

Great location as well. :)

We are budget travellers and a friend who has been to Rio for business recommended Savoy Othon Travel in Cocacabana. A block or two away from the beach on a busy shopping street but the price is reasonable.

The area to avoid is Centre. Especially weekends. Evidently it is fine during the day but not in the evening.

I'm not No fuss, but we used Neyla Bontempo as our guide in Rio. She was outstanding! We saw so much more than our friends who took the ship's tour and had a much, much better experience. Like No Fuss we also didn't waste time standing in lines and avoided the crowds. We weren't interested in touring a favelo, but we did get to walk around in the sambadrome as it was being prepared for Carnival. We also went to the famous tiled stairs where Neyla introduced us to the artist. Neither of these were part of the ship's tour. Neyla is the 'gold standard' to which we now compare all other guides. Since we our cruise boarded in Rio we were there several days. In addition to our tour of Rio we also had her do our airport and ship transfers as well as a day outside the city. Her website: http://www.tourguideneyla.com/

Rio is very exciting! We stayed in Ipanema, and were very pleased. Quiet neighbourhood, close the beach, lots of restaurants and bars. Our hotel was the Promenade Visconti, and it was well-run and decently-priced.

The highlight for us was going on a Friday night to hear authentic Bossa Nova in a bar with few tourists, across the street from where Antonio Carlos Jobim wrote the Girl from Ipanema! We also felt safe in Ipanema, even at night (except for the beach), and just loved Rio.

I would recommend a private guide for getting around Rio. It's a large, spread-out, chaotic city, fairly tough to get around, although I believe there is now a Metro stop in Ipanema.

Nofuss travel - would you mind telling me who your private guide was? Or give me a link? Thanks.

His name was Pedro Novak. He is a bit of a character and seems to know everybody. Email is pnovak@privatetours.com.br Website is http://www.privatetours.com.br Now his car is not the greatest, but because it isn't you could safely leave things in the trunk and no one would touch his car. It was comfortable to travel in but no more than three people to be totally comfortable. He took us all along the coast line so we could see the beaches, to the park where we saw monkeys and incredible views, to the usual tourist requirements, SugarLoaf and the Redeemer but timed the visits so that we missed all the tour crowds. He is very knowledgeable about the fauna and wildlife. He took out to one of the old forts as well as doing the tour of the city. Since Carnival was on while we were there, he took us on the back streets so that we could see all of the floats. We also did a favelo tour with him which I would recommend as it is certainly an eye opener. Our slums in North America are castles in comparison. He also drove us through some of the countryside which is inside the city limits, but totally different.

Thank you all, that is very helpful.

Kaye - you will have realised we have just signed up for the Marina for Nov 2013 Barcelona to Rio - why not join us?

Would love to, Pat, but we're already booked on Celebrity's Eclipse on a TA in November 2013. Pete did ask about possible leave for the Marina TA this March but was told no further leave is being granted for next year at the moment :( They're so stretched at work at the moment, it's becoming difficult to get any plans in order and I always like at least three cruises in the bag ;-)

Copacabana Palace Hotel was quite nice. www.copacabanapalace.com

Safe location

we are booked...but only for a "day room" for the day of disembarkation from the Rome to Rio cruise this year. it is an "Orient Express" hotel...we stayed at one in Sydney...and it was so first class. It is expensive..but not when the cost is split with others...I did a ton of research, as you have, and found that the hotels ARE very expensive!! If you want to stay for several days...then you don't want to share the room!! :p..check out the Ports boards and you'll see info re many hotels there! Good luck!! LuAnn

Thank you all, that is very helpful.

Kaye - you will have realised we have just signed up for the Marina for Nov 2013 Barcelona to Rio - why not join us?

so wish you were going with us THIS year!!!...but know you are doing the Amazon!! And next November we are doing Sydney to Auckland...we have to get on the same "Page"!!! :cool: LuAnn

Can anyone advise me on Rio hotels? I see on tripadvisor that they are generally pricey. We'd like to stay at least a couple of days post-cruise in Nov 2013. Which area of the city should we stay in? And which areas should we avoid?
We stayed at Ipanema Plaza, which is a smaller boutique hotel that is part of the Golden Tulip organization. It has a fabulous location in a safe neighbourhood right in the centre of Ipanema. Shopping and restaurants are within easy walking distance and the beach is 1/2 block away. We had a top-floor room with partial views towards Christ Redeemer.

I'd avoid the Sheraton, which is favored by many cruise lines, but is poorly located in the suburb of Leblon, well outside the city.

If you're still in the market for a great guide, I can highly recommend the guide/owners of RioPlus.

We did a cheapo one-week trip to Rio back in March 1974. Our hotel was in "midtown" and serviceable but not elegant, although it wasn't hard to get around from there. I don't remember its name so I guess that doesn't matter.

But I remember a spectacular late lunch at a lovely restaurant in Ipanema after some time on the beach (it had been recommended in a Gourmet Magazine article the month before). There was one other couple there with us -- we were the only people in the restaurant -- and the husband came over to toast us during our meal. They were celebrating their 25th anniversary and we were newlyweds (well, married 11 months so I guess that qualifies). He hoped that we would be as happy as he and his wife had been.

A very special memory ...

And if anyone wants the name of the restaurant I still have the article so I probably can retrieve it.

Mura

P.S. This was Howard's first sight of the string bikini. Man, were his eyes popping!

His name was Pedro Novak. He is a bit of a character and seems to know everybody. Email is pnovak@privatetours.com.br Website is http://www.privatetours.com.br Now his car is not the greatest, but because it isn't you could safely leave things in the trunk and no one would touch his car. It was comfortable to travel in but no more than three people to be totally comfortable. He took us all along the coast line so we could see the beaches, to the park where we saw monkeys and incredible views, to the usual tourist requirements, SugarLoaf and the Redeemer but timed the visits so that we missed all the tour crowds. He is very knowledgeable about the fauna and wildlife. He took out to one of the old forts as well as doing the tour of the city. Since Carnival was on while we were there, he took us on the back streets so that we could see all of the floats. We also did a favelo tour with him which I would recommend as it is certainly an eye opener. Our slums in North America are castles in comparison. He also drove us through some of the countryside which is inside the city limits, but totally different.

Pedro is a character but I saw more with him in two days than most see in a week. Returning November 2013 to relive this fabulous place and see other areas. We have already booked him. I highly recommend him.

we are booked...but only for a "day room" for the day of disembarkation from the Rome to Rio cruise this year. it is an "Orient Express" hotel...we stayed at one in Sydney...and it was so first class. It is expensive..but not when the cost is split with others...I did a ton of research, as you have, and found that the hotels ARE very expensive!! If you want to stay for several days...then you don't want to share the room!! :p..check out the Ports boards and you'll see info re many hotels there! Good luck!! LuAnn

Thanks. I will but soooo love this Hotel. :):)

so wish you were going with us THIS year!!!...but know you are doing the Amazon!! And next November we are doing Sydney to Auckland...we have to get on the same "Page"!!! :cool: LuAnn[/Q

We are staying in the Copacabana Palace 4 days before our Rioto BA crusie this Feb on the Regatta.We last where on the Regatta this past Feburary 2012 Sydney To Auckland, It was one of our best cruises with O.We satyed in The Park Hyatt Sydney Fantasic hotel

Archived