Denied passport application

Jess777

Did you call and see if you can use a regular drivers license, if it is a closed loop cruise?

I found this on the Carnival web site

Enhanced Driver's Licenses can be used as proof of citizenship at land and sea ports of entry. However, it cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States. There are currently four U.S. states and four Canadian provinces producing EDLs:*.

*Michigan

*New York

*Vermont

*Washington

*British Columbia

*Manitoba

*Ontario

*Quebec

Unfortunately we live in California and if we didn't we still have to wait 4 to 6 weeks.

Thank you everyone for your excellent help and suggestions. Next week brings us hope that we can figure out something to save our vacation. I will update later if we can resolve this problem. In the mean time thank you cruise critic members for you help.

I fail to understand why he made no effort to immediately...

1. Replace the passport

2. Replace the birth certificate

3. Replace the naturalized citizen certificate

Does he at least have copies of these documents? :confused: I assume not. :(

I agree with the post that suggests you IMMEDIATELY contact your local state representative for help. Good luck, and please report back if you have a happy ending. :)

Per federal child support law he needs to have both ca and pa send a release to the state department to get the passport back. How do I know this? I am an attorney who has clients in the same boat. It used to be that the senator(federal not state) could get you a temp passport in the event of death or final illness of a close family member but that option is gone per the class I went to on friday taught by the CA dept child support.

So my suggestion is to have him contact a family law atty in PA first who understands the interstate issue of child support arrears. If PA is the collecting state of the support and CA the issuing state of withholding order which triggers the hold,it will highly unlikely that it can be resolved in less than 30 days cause CA is notoriously slow.

Sorry.

Oh what a mess, my DH and I have been planning this caribbean cruise for two years we have everything paid our b2b cruise gratuities hotel pre and post, rental car booked, shuttle service booked excursions and ready to sail in three weeks.

I have my passport but my DH oh doesn't. He had one once used it several times until his work ( he works for a big oil company ) wanted to borrow his passport for some homeland security clearance thing two years. I kept reminding him to try to get it back asap I had a feeling something was going to happen and it did. They mailed it back to him to the wrong address and lost it. Needless to say he had to report it lost to the passport agency and apply for a new one pay extra for them to research his background because he's a naturalized citizen that has no birth certificate because it was stollen years ago along with his naturalized citizen certificate.

I kept reminding him to get this passport situation taken care of because our cruise was coming up soon. We never thought it was going to be difficult to get his passport renewed because he had it twice before with no problem we thought three months would be enough time so in the beginning of August went to the local passport office turned in all the proper forms paid extra to have his information researched like last time and waited the 4-6 weeks for it to arrive.

The seventh week still nothing my DH calls to find out the status in the seventh week and comes to find out he was denied because of backed passed child support payments the state of Pennsylvaina claimed and turned into a feloney. Ok I know what you are thinking "dead beat dad" I would, but not in this case it was a mix up of sorts he has been paying for many years for his son who lives out of state has a good relationship with him and he is now 18. The payments for child support were deducted out from his paycheck automatically for years but somehow the state of California and the state of Pennsylvania were not communicating about the back child support that once was there and has since been paid back. His work faxed proof to the state of Pennsylvania and their working on clearing this up but it's now three weeks left to go. I don't know if we are going to make it on time, any advise? Oh yes we have trip insurance.

First of all I"m so sorry this is happening, what a crappy thing to happen whe you should be getting really excited abut your trip. Second, I have ot say over here in Canada I work for Social Services and we can't get the gov't to get on top of folks who don't pay their child support so it sucks that there, they even go after folks who are fully paid!

He should take a day off work and go in person to the passport office to ask what he can do now. THen go straight from there to wherever they advise him to go. He will need to have a record from his employer of all the payments they've garnisheed from his paycheque.

Then proceed to the office that deals with back child support and stay there at the office until it is resolved. Explain the urgency of the matter.

I agree with the poster who stated that your husband needs to take a day off to work on this situation. When it comes to important documentation, he has to be hands on, and stay on top of the progress. I hope y'all can get it resolve to make it on the cruise. Good luck!!

Thank you everyone for your excellent help and suggestions. Next week brings us hope that we can figure out something to save our vacation. I will update later if we can resolve this problem. In the mean time thank you cruise critic members for you help.

Good luck. Please let us know if it all worked out for you.

Try to get the child support issue resolved immediately. If you are able to cruise, when you return he may be arrested at port for outstanding warrant. All personal info is run thru may gov't channels and if the warrant pops up (even though he doesnt owe it) officers may be waiting when he gets back. There was a post on this board today about this very thing. Lady was arrested on outstanding warrant at 5:30 am, came to her cabin, the morning the ship pulled back in to Miami port. Good luck. Hope everything works out.

Try to get the child support issue resolved immediately. If you are able to cruise, when you return he may be arrested at port for outstanding warrant. All personal info is run thru may gov't channels and if the warrant pops up (even though he doesnt owe it) officers may be waiting when he gets back. There was a post on this board today about this very thing. Lady was arrested on outstanding warrant at 5:30 am, came to her cabin, the morning the ship pulled back in to Miami port. Good luck. Hope everything works out.

Op stated that he doesn't have the proper paperwork to even board the ship never mind when he returns.

Good Luck OP! I hope everything works out.

~sweet~

There are a couple of passport offices in the US you can show up and get an expedited passport within 24 hours. One is in Chicago (I know that one for sure, because that one is the one we were told we could use easily). One is either Los Angeles? Or San Francisco? Our son traveled to Italy a few years ago and neither of us (his parents) had a passport at the time. I checked into what I needed to do IF something came up and I needed to fly to Italy instantly for him. I was told to fly to Chicago, go to the pasport office, explain it in person and they could issue it immediatly. Good luck...

Oh what a mess, my DH and I have been planning this caribbean cruise for two years we have everything paid our b2b cruise gratuities hotel pre and post, rental car booked, shuttle service booked excursions and ready to sail in three weeks.

I have my passport but my DH oh doesn't. He had one once used it several times until his work ( he works for a big oil company ) wanted to borrow his passport for some homeland security clearance thing two years. I kept reminding him to try to get it back asap I had a feeling something was going to happen and it did. They mailed it back to him to the wrong address and lost it. Needless to say he had to report it lost to the passport agency and apply for a new one pay extra for them to research his background because he's a naturalized citizen that has no birth certificate because it was stollen years ago along with his naturalized citizen certificate.

I kept reminding him to get this passport situation taken care of because our cruise was coming up soon. We never thought it was going to be difficult to get his passport renewed because he had it twice before with no problem we thought three months would be enough time so in the beginning of August went to the local passport office turned in all the proper forms paid extra to have his information researched like last time and waited the 4-6 weeks for it to arrive.

The seventh week still nothing my DH calls to find out the status in the seventh week and comes to find out he was denied because of backed passed child support payments the state of Pennsylvaina claimed and turned into a feloney. Ok I know what you are thinking "dead beat dad" I would, but not in this case it was a mix up of sorts he has been paying for many years for his son who lives out of state has a good relationship with him and he is now 18. The payments for child support were deducted out from his paycheck automatically for years but somehow the state of California and the state of Pennsylvania were not communicating about the back child support that once was there and has since been paid back. His work faxed proof to the state of Pennsylvania and their working on clearing this up but it's now three weeks left to go. I don't know if we are going to make it on time, any advise? Oh yes we have trip insurance.

Perhaps get another copy of Naturalization Certificate...here's the link:

http://www.uscis.gov/n-565

You could probably need to get them to expedite this:

If you have already filed your application or petition:

You can make an expedite request by contacting the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283. The NCSC will take a “service request” and forward your expedite request to the office with jurisdiction over the application or petition. You also have the options of 1). visiting your local office by scheduling an InfoPass appointment or 2). writing a letter to the local office or service center.

UPDATE: it's now Monday and my DH was suppose to call the Penn social worker on Friday to get an update on the situation but that day she did not return any of his calls he left many messages. Today, he got an answer that's too good to be true. The social worker from Penn says that they closed the case and have notified the passport office and should receive the passport in a week and that there is no warrant. He should follow up with the passport office tomorrow. I guess the paper work from his work proving he paid was accepted and case closed. It's a bit of a miracle in my opinion or to good to be true we'll see when he gets his passport and pass card on time. Thank you all Cruise Critic Members for your help and advise. I hope someday my post will help someone in the future someday.

UPDATE: it's now Monday and my DH was suppose to call the Penn social worker on Friday to get an update on the situation but that day she did not return any of his calls he left many messages. Today, he got an answer that's too good to be true. The social worker from Penn says that they closed the case and have notified the passport office and should receive the passport in a week and that there is no warrant. He should follow up with the passport office tomorrow. I guess the paper work from his work proving he paid was accepted and case closed. It's a bit of a miracle in my opinion or to good to be true we'll see when he gets his passport and pass card on time. Thank you all Cruise Critic Members for your help and advise. I hope someday my post will help someone in the future someday.

I am glad it seems to be working out for him. I would stay on top of it until the passport is in hand, maybe even pay to expidite it if possible.

I am sure this will probably wake up a few procrastinators. Thanks for your post and enjoy your cruise!

Yeah Jess & DH

Enjoy your cruise.

WOW! That's amazing! So happy for you! Never would have thought you'd get through the red tape in time.

Second Update: Squeaky wheel gets the grease, after a incredibly worrisome ordeal my DH did it! he explained pleaded I'm sure cried about this dilemma to both the social service person from penn and the passport office about this problem and Findlay yesterday Fed Ex delivered his passport book. So we are on our way, 17and a half days to go to our vacation. Thank you all for advise and good wishes.

Second Update: Squeaky wheel gets the grease, after a incredibly worrisome ordeal my DH did it! he explained pleaded I'm sure cried about this dilemma to both the social service person from penn and the passport office about this problem and Findlay yesterday Fed Ex delivered his passport book. So we are on our way, 17and a half days to go to our vacation. Thank you all for advise and good wishes.

YAY (hands clapping) :D:):D:).. Congratulations and have a great vacation..

Archived