Rotorua Tours

robinph

We are going to Tauranga in Nov, we have been to Rotorua before and visited Te Puia on a shore tour and thoroughly enjoyed the day, this time we will be travelling with our daughter and some friends who have not been to Rotorua, I was wondering if there is anyone who has visited Te Puia and also Whakarewarewa Living Thermal Village that can compare the two places and give their opinion on which one is better, we are quite happy to go to Te Puia again but just want to take the others to the best place. Thanks Robin:)

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone answer the original question? Waiotapu seems to be out of the running for us because we don't want to drive on the left and no tours seem to go there. We are trying to decide between TePuia and Whakarewarewa also. Some tours do one and some do the other.

anyone been to the Buried Village lately

Is December 2010 lately enough? We enjoyed our visit. We just rocked up by car - BTW - it's a longer drive into the countryside from Rotorua than we expected not having done the Google map directions search. An interesting story, well told by the exhibits in the small museum and the information boards along the route. Easy walking apart from the hike down the hill (optional). Nice cafe and offers of guided tours if your timing is right.

Can anyone answer the original question? Waiotapu seems to be out of the running for us because we don't want to drive on the left and no tours seem to go there. We are trying to decide between TePuia and Whakarewarewa also. Some tours do one and some do the other.

Kia ora,

The two are side by side in one of our geothermal areas and are situated in town. There are slightly better views of the geysers from the Te Puia side. Whaka, as we call it is a Maori village so has an authentic Maori experience while Te Puia grew out of the Maori Arts & Craft Institute and would be the attraction with the most visitors. Te puia's marae is 'purpose built' while Whaka's is an iwi (tribal) one in regular community use. See www.whakarewarewa.com & www.tepuia.com for further information. If you want to see Kiwi, tuatara etc. suggest you look at www.rainbowsprings.co.nz which is also in town and adjacent to the gondola/luge. They run a very successful breeding program to help save our endangered kiwi & tuatara, live bird shows etc.

Aquarians

Kia ora,

There yesterday. Nothing like Pompei but you'll know you are in Aotearoa. A pleasant place for a stroll alongside the stream (plenty of trout) with NZ bush to keep you cool. www.buriedvillage.co.nz may help - PS.The coffee is good!

Aquarians

if we hire a car from Tauranga is it only about an hours drive to get there and is there much to see and do....we have done a land tour with Grand Pacific and seen most of the other attractions but for some reason they dont do the buried village

if we hire a car from Tauranga is it only about an hours drive to get there and is there much to see and do....we have done a land tour with Grand Pacific and seen most of the other attractions but for some reason they dont do the buried village

The roads are 'slow'. I think it took us more than one and a half hours to get to Rotorua.

To Joetop2467 - There will be private tour operators at the entrance to the wharf offering tours to Rotorua.

The roads are 'slow'. I think it took us more than one and a half hours to get to Rotorua.

To Joetop2467 - There will be private tour operators at the entrance to the wharf offering tours to Rotorua.

kia ora,

In normal conditions I can get from Rotorua to Mount Maunganui (The port) in under an hour. Wai-o-tapu can be reached in under 1.5 hours. RKMW, yes, Rotorua is a major tourist destination with a number of geo-thermal areas, extensive Maori activities, adventure activities, trout fishing, 16 lakes, forests etc. See earlier posts on this thread & www.rotorua.co.nz too. Trust this helps

Aquarians

Thank you for your response. Now wwe just need to make a decision. By the way I found an operator who will go to Waiotapu but we will miss the geyser. Would you choose Waiotapu minus geyser over Te Puia or Whaka with the geyser?

kia ora,

In normal conditions I can get from Rotorua to Mount Maunganui (The port) in under an hour. Wai-o-tapu can be reached in under 1.5 hours. RKMW, yes, Rotorua is a major tourist destination with a number of geo-thermal areas, extensive Maori activities, adventure activities, trout fishing, 16 lakes, forests etc. See earlier posts on this thread & www.rotorua.co.nz too. Trust this helps

Aquarians

Maybe we drove slower, being unfamiliar with the roads. :)

Thank you for your response. Now wwe just need to make a decision. By the way I found an operator who will go to Waiotapu but we will miss the geyser. Would you choose Waiotapu minus geyser over Te Puia or Whaka with the geyser?

Kia ora,

I would be hesitant to advise as it depends on what you are looking for. As my previous posts indicate, Wai-o-tapu is a favourite of mine and has an extensive and varied geo-thermal area with some amazing colours. It is further to travel and doesn't have any Maori activities, while Te Puia and Whaka do (although you could be there and see little geyser activity). I would certainly suggest getting exposure to our unique culture by at least seeing a Marae such as at Ohinemutu where there is thermal activity too. Another suggestion would be to visit Rainbow Springs (as mentioned above) which is also in town and adjacent to the gondola/luge. They run a very successful breeding program to help save our endangered kiwi & tuatara, live bird shows etc. See www.rainbowsprings.co.nz.

Hope this helps.

Aquarians

Archived