FOS -- show reservations advice?

SunnyinDC

I'm cruising over Thanksgiving on Freedom of the Seas with a family group -- there are 9 of us, ranging in age from 8 - 73. I volunteered to make reservations for all the shows for us, so we will be able to get seats together (and yes, we'll all arrive together and won't 'save' seats). I have two questions that I hope you can help me with!

First, we are scheduled for the 5:30 early dinner -- can we make the 7:00 shows, or should I make our reservations for the 9:00? It seems like, on my prior cruises, we might have still been eating an hour and a half later... Maybe Freedom's dining room service is especially fast/good???

Second, the shows that are available for reservations include Once Upon a Time, Now You See It, Marquee, and Freedom Ice.com -- are any of these inappropriate for children?

Many thanks for any advice you might have--

Susan

First of all, you will only be able to make the reservations online for the actual reservations you paid for under your booking. So, unless you booked and reserved rooms for all 9 of you, you will only be able to book for your specific party.

Second, 7:00 will be a little tight, because I beleive they open the doors about 30 mins ahead of time if I remember. If you aren't there 10 minutes to show time, they open the doors to the general non-reservation folk. So I'd go with the later show to be safe.

My kids last year (4, 8 and 13) loved the Once Upon A Time and Freedom Ice Show. They were both actually very good, vey appropriate for anyone. Didn't see the others. Wanted to do the Marquee show, but felt the kids might balk at too many shows, so we kept it to a minimum.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Thanks, Briscogun -

Yes, we've got all the reservations linked together, and paid for by one person, so I haven't had any trouble (yet!) booking us all for things together... But I am worried about hustling us all across the ship after dinner to get to the shows -- we'll look at the later shows!

Glad to hear your kids liked Once Upon a Time and Freedom Ice. We're looking at Marquee and also have an illusionist on our cruise, but the illusionist is scheduled only at 9 and 11, so I'm guessing that is not kid-appropriate.

Thanks!

Sunny

I'm cruising over Thanksgiving on Freedom of the Seas with a family group -- there are 9 of us, ranging in age from 8 - 73. I volunteered to make reservations for all the shows for us, so we will be able to get seats together (and yes, we'll all arrive together and won't 'save' seats). I have two questions that I hope you can help me with!

First, we are scheduled for the 5:30 early dinner -- can we make the 7:00 shows, or should I make our reservations for the 9:00? It seems like, on my prior cruises, we might have still been eating an hour and a half later... Maybe Freedom's dining room service is especially fast/good???

Second, the shows that are available for reservations include Once Upon a Time, Now You See It, Marquee, and Freedom Ice.com -- are any of these inappropriate for children?

Many thanks for any advice you might have--

Susan

Hi Susan,

1. Normally the first show is meant for guess who have the later dining times. And the late show is for guests who have the early dining times. That way you won't be rushed through dinner and have to rush to the Acadia Theater. So my suggestion would be to make reservations for the later show.

When I sailed on Freedom there was only one Welcome Aboard and Farewell Show. So if you want to see those, then you'll have to let your waitstaff know so they can wrap up dinner accordingly.

2. The shows you've selected are appropriate for everyone.

Once Upon a Time: Sing and dance show through familiar childhood stories.

Now You See It: The Magic of Drew Thomas. High energy magic show.

Marquee: Broadway review show with scenes from many Broadway hits.

Freedom Ice.com: Spectacular ice skating show.

I recommend you do not miss any of the shows. You're going to enjoy Freedom of the Seas!

YouTube Videos:

Once Upon A Time:

Now You See It:

Marquee:

, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE0mLJwEH4g

Freedom Ice.com:

All shows, whether reserved or not, are 1st come, 1st seated....so if you wish to sit together, get there at the same time and find seats! Reservations are not for specified seats...just for the time of show that you want.

If you all are in the early/main seating for dinner, there's NO problem with the shows...all of your shows will be AFTER dinner...they are schedules that way. You will be done WELL before the show starts...as late seating will be following your seating. No worries at all. No need to rush through dinner.

Unless a show is specified to be "adult only", it's fine for kids and families. The "adult" shows usually start at 10:30PM...

I was on the Freedom a couple of weeks ago and had made reservations for the entire week. However, once aboard I was told no reservations were need for any of the shows.

No one checking at the doors, just walk-in.

They were issuing paper reservations for the ice show.

Just back off the Freedom.

Book the Ice Show as it can fill-up. The rest of the shows should be ok but the Ice Show scanned our SeaPass for reservations (which we had) before they released any extra seats 10 minutes before the show.

Reservations only mean you and your group have seats - not the specific seats.

The main shows are appropriate for all ages. (we saw them all)

The 7pm show was aimed at the late MDR seating and the 9pm show was aimed at the early seatings. Rushing through your meal to make a show will take away some of the enjoyment IMHO :)

Thanks, everyone -- good to know that the reservations are not for a particular seat and that we might not even need them! I'd rather be prepared than not, so I'll keep working on it, and will go for the later show times.

Sunny

• 4 weeks later...
About how long does each show last? We are making our dinner reservations for after the first show in some cases and I want to make sure we have enough time after the show to get to the MDR. Thanks!

Here's a document that lists all the current shows on Freedom:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/showtimes/showtimes_FR.pdf

About how long does each show last? We are making our dinner reservations for after the first show in some cases and I want to make sure we have enough time after the show to get to the MDR. Thanks!

I have travelled with groups, and I suggest that you not be concerned about sitting together at the shows. It is not that big of a deal, and sometimes can be quite aggravating.

It is not like you are going to sit there and have discussions and interactions with each other during the show.

Kids might want to sit close, some adults might like balcony, whatever.

We just agreed, after the show, we would all meet up on the Promenade at the Crown and Anchor.

Thanks, everyone -- good to know that the reservations are not for a particular seat and that we might not even need them! I'd rather be prepared than not, so I'll keep working on it, and will go for the later show times.

Sunny

Reservations are completely unnecessary on the FOS. I seriously don't think you should even waste your time. The only show you need to reserve is for the Ice Show. I just got off the Freedom of the Seas this past Sunday and we were specifically told that nobody should worry about reservations. There was never anyone that checked, and finding a seat was never a problem. Show reservations were started and designed primary for the Oasis and Allure. I enjoyed every show I went to. The closest thing that was offensive to kids or adults were the comedians, but the usually keep things pretty close to G or PG-13 for the main shows. (late night comedy is a different story). You're going to have a fantastic cruise!

Archived