Carnival vs. RCCL

kcbmarek

DH and I just got off RCL's Navigator of the Seas on an E. Med cruise and will be boarding the Carnival Dream in May. Really enjoyed RCL but does anyone know of any big differences between the two lines? I sailed on Carnival back in 2001 and was not terribly impressed (Carnival Holiday) but am open minded as the Dream is offering the itinerary we wanted from FL.

TIA for any comments.

I've been on RCCL one time and Carnival twice. In my opinion the RCCL ship was more visually appealing and had better entertainment. But when you are sitting out on the deck, the ocean looks the same no matter what ship you are on.

Overall I decided to go back to Carnival because I liked the itineries better and it was a bit less expensive. Maybe someday I will do RCCL again but I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Navigator and Dream are of similar size, but that's where the similarities end. Some people will say that Carnival and Royal are "alike" but these two cruise lines are on diverging paths these days. There WAS a time when they were more similar (back on the Fantasy/Sovereign days), but definitely not today with the newer ships.

Carnival's goal is to offer a budget minded experience, while Royal's goal is to offer a more innovative and a tad more upscale experience. Ship design, variety of accommodations, dining venues, list of activities, decoration, shows, itineraries, children's program, and loyalty program are all different between the two lines.

Can you have a great time on both cruise lines? Absolutely! But understand that it doesn't mean that the experience will be identical.

I have found some things to be very similar between the two. Things like service in the dining areas, bar service and planned activities (trivia, games, pool side events). Food is very subjective, but I feel that its pretty similar as well. Of course each has their own strengths and weaknesses in the dining department. For instance, I tend to like CCL's dining room food better, but I prefer Royal's buffet. I also prefer CCL's steakhouse to Royal's "Chops", but Royal has a wider variety of free dining options on their bigger classes of ships (Voyager, Freedom and Oasis).

There are other areas where they differ drastically. Obviously Royal's ships are larger and have more features. The Royal Promenade, Flowriders, rock walls, in line skating tracks, and ice rinks to name a few. Their decor is also more elegant and less of the flashy glitz that CCL has gone for. Royal's ships also tend to have better space to passenger ratios. For instance, the Carnival Dream is about the same size as the Voyager of the Seas. But Dream carries about the same number of passengers as Freedom of the Seas, which is about 25,000 gross tons larger.

I also like Royal's past guest program a lot more, especially since CCL decided to insult their Platinum guests a few months ago. I don't want to reopen a very nasty can of worms, so I'll just say that the perks currently offered by RCI entice my business over what CCL's program.

I have found some things to be very similar between the two. Things like service in the dining areas, bar service and planned activities (trivia, games, pool side events). Food is very subjective, but I feel that its pretty similar as well. Of course each has their own strengths and weaknesses in the dining department. For instance, I tend to like CCL's dining room food better, but I prefer Royal's buffet. I also prefer CCL's steakhouse to Royal's "Chops", but Royal has a wider variety of free dining options on their bigger classes of ships (Voyager, Freedom and Oasis).

There are other areas where they differ drastically. Obviously Royal's ships are larger and have more features. The Royal Promenade, Flowriders, rock walls, in line skating tracks, and ice rinks to name a few. Their decor is also more elegant and less of the flashy glitz that CCL has gone for. Royal's ships also tend to have better space to passenger ratios. For instance, the Carnival Dream is about the same size as the Voyager of the Seas. But Dream carries about the same number of passengers as Freedom of the Seas, which is about 25,000 gross tons larger.

I also like Royal's past guest program a lot more, especially since CCL decided to insult their Platinum guests a few months ago. I don't want to reopen a very nasty can of worms, so I'll just say that the perks currently offered by RCI entice my business over what CCL's program.

Has RCI's dining room service gotten real bad too, or has it been a year or 2 since you cruised CCL?

Bill

DH and I just got off RCL's Navigator of the Seas on an E. Med cruise and will be boarding the Carnival Dream in May. Really enjoyed RCL but does anyone know of any big differences between the two lines? I sailed on Carnival back in 2001 and was not terribly impressed (Carnival Holiday) but am open minded as the Dream is offering the itinerary we wanted from FL.

TIA for any comments.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO kcbmarek: I have been on both lines. Am a Platinum member on Carnival and one cruise was more than enough for me on RCCL. Carnival is more designed for family cruising than other cruise lines. Carnival has been very successful. You can tell because they grew as a company then the Carnival Corp.bought up other cruise lines.

Differences-Carnival has larger staterooms in each category. Carnival has better food and more of it. On Carnival I got room service within the time they promised to have it in my stateroom. RCCL never had room service food at the stateroom when they promised they would have it there. It wasn't even close to the time. Food is better on Carnival. Carnival has a 24-hour restaurant. RCCL 24-hour restaurant is open only 22 hours so they could clean it. Carnival keeps their restaurant open a full 24-hours and clean.

It is your vacation. Choose to go with whatever cruise line you think will give you the better experience.

I've been on each line just once about a month apart last year. I personally like Carnival over RCCL because of the lower pricing for what I get.

I thought the buffet food on RCCL was pretty mediocre, I mean the fries were inedible (how do you screw those up?!?). The buffet food on Carnival was very good! I don't remember turning my nose up at anything. Now for dinner in the MDR I think RCCL has an edge there. The service is great and the food is a bit better than Carnival.

The broadway type shows were fantastic on RCCL, but the comedy and karaokee shows were great on Carnival. I thought the pool atmosphere was slightly better on Carnival with the outdoor dining area, games, and Caribbean music. However, I may change my mind there since Carnival now has DJs :(

The main thing that annoyed me about RCCL was that I felt like they were constantly nickel and diming everything.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO kcbmarek: I have been on both lines. Am a Platinum member on Carnival and one cruise was more than enough for me on RCCL. Carnival is more designed for family cruising than other cruise lines. Carnival has been very successful. You can tell because they grew as a company then the Carnival Corp.bought up other cruise lines.

Differences-Carnival has larger staterooms in each category. Carnival has better food and more of it. On Carnival I got room service within the time they promised to have it in my stateroom. RCCL never had room service food at the stateroom when they promised they would have it there. It wasn't even close to the time. Food is better on Carnival. Carnival has a 24-hour restaurant. RCCL 24-hour restaurant is open only 22 hours so they could clean it. Carnival keeps their restaurant open a full 24-hours and clean.

It is your vacation. Choose to go with whatever cruise line you think will give you the better experience.

That may be a bit misleading. Carnival has 24 hr room service and 24 hour pizza but the restaurants, dining room and buffet on the Lido deck are not open 24 hours. That being said, the food is good and you will not go hungry:)

what restaurant on CCL is open 24/7 other than the pizza place?

Bill

TIA for any comments.

Your question had been asked, aswered and argued over about 10 times per day already in the past here at CC. You might want to read some of those past threads. Or better yet go on your Carnival Dream trip without preconceived notions and form your own opinion. I will tell you only two things: #1) After 18 cruises (9 on Carnival, 2 on Princess, 3 on RCCL, and 4 on NCL) Carnival is my favorite cruiseline. #2) Carnival has improved alot since 2001.

Carnival has improved alot since 2001.

I agree, If I had based my opinion on Carnival after our first cruise in 1994 (Tropicale) I'd still be telling people what a horrible cruise line it is, and I would've missed out on many, MANY wonderful Carnival cruises.

With that said, I think that Carnival improved greatly until around 2006 (thanks to Bob Dickinson). He really brought this cruise line up from " cheap booze cruise" status to a world class product.

Unfortunately, it seems as if the new CEO (Gerry Cahill) is taking Carnival down a different path (more budget conscious), somewhat back to its origins of providing a cruise experience as cheaply as possible.

That doesn't mean Carnival is becoming a bad cruise line, just different, but people need to sail on them with realistic expectations. As long as people sail on Carnival fully understanding what Carnival is, they'll have an enjoyable experience.

I took my first 2 cruises on Carnival, then tried RCCL for a bit. I have to admit i like the RCCL ships better and the food is better, but i really like the prices and itineraries of Carnival. After a few cruises on RCCL i switched back to Carnival again. I really look at prices first, because i like both cruise lines. I've always gone on older ships for both lines but i'm going on the Breeze in January and can't wait.

Tapi..I really enjoy all your posts..you have great input, experience and all and thanks..Sarah

Thanks! You just put a smile on my face! Its not often that people take a moment to compliment a fellow poster on Cruise Critic. On that same token, I really appreciate your posts as well. They always seem to be filled with a positive attitude! :)

I think it's all subjective. We've been on RCCL 3 times, NCL 2 times, Carnival once and soon to be twice. IMHO I thought the RCCL ships overall were nicer but the cabin larger on CCL with NCL the smallest. We liked the food the best on CCL, the shows the best on NCL. I like them all and choose whichever one has the most appealing itinerary at the time I am booking. As MNKEITH said...the ocean looks the same no matter what ship you're on! Enjoy!:p

Thanks! You just put a smile on my face! Its not often that people take a moment to compliment a fellow poster on Cruise Critic. On that same token, I really appreciate your posts as well. They always seem to be filled with a positive attitude! :)

Thanks so much..i try but fail too..lately i am just so aware of the glass half full thing having just lost my mom and all the changes that happen and if lucky, more closeness healing in a family grieving together..and if you succeed more than fail..at loving.... things you thought would never, ever, ever change for the better do..hope CC gets it's groove back for some..i really felt remiss in reading your posts today and i sincerely mean it...have a super day and that dog says it all!! I am not even doggish and now my folks dog can and does completely get me hairy and loved up when i visit dad and i LOVE IT..lol..Sarah

What restaurant is open 24/7?

What restaurant is open 24/7?

Your correct. The only place open all night are Pizza place and room service. I was surprised on my last Carnival trip to discover that you can get more than pizza if you don't mind waiting a few minutes. I discovered that the guys at the pizza place will make you a fresh Ceasar Salad and Calazone if you will wait while they prepare it. The hot bubbley Cheese in the Calazone was well worth the wait! Yum. Also it's good to know that room service is really fast at 2am since most other people are asleep.

Archived