Tipping Question

Hogladyrider

Asking this here rather than Port of Call boards because I know there will be responses here!

We have a private excursion booked on an upcoming eastern Dream cruise.

Price paid includes all food and beverages. What is proper for a tip for the hired help on the boat?

Are the tips all the help receives, or do they customarily receive some cut of what we paid pp for the excursion.

This excursion is limited to 10 people, that have been paid for in full, however we only were able to fill 8 slots.

We don't want to under or over tip....any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PS sailing 10/6 on Dream

The folks running the excursion, helpers and all, GET PAID! They are not relying solely on tips.

If your tour is great...tip what you feel it's worth. If it's not up to your expectations, then don't tip. Tips are nice, but not required!!!

That said, you will most likely have a wonderful time...so I think $20 per couple or family would be more than generous. Give it to the "head" person on the excursion...up to him/her to divide it.

I would say that you tip based on the type of experience that you had......i.e. were they helpful, nice, did they point out things on your tour, stuff like that.

We have had really good tours (Moby Dick Tours in Grand Cayman) where we tipped $40.00 because the excursion was awesome. And we have had a really bad experience in Progreso, Mexico where I didn't tip anything. I was just happy to make it back alive :eek:

I wouldn't consider that a "tippable service" in the same way that a hair cut, restaurant meal or taxi ride requires, as a matter of social custom, a tip.

You pay a fee to the service provider and it isn't up to you to figure out how they compensate their employees (or whether you somehow have an obligation to supplement their compensation).

In the very rare event that an employee provided some sort of service that was beyond what you think you paid for as part of the excursion and/or was so personally appreciated, you might consider a tip to that person. But I think this would be rare.

Asking this here rather than Port of Call boards because I know there will be responses here!

We have a private excursion booked on an upcoming eastern Dream cruise.

Price paid includes all food and beverages. What is proper for a tip for the hired help on the boat?

Are the tips all the help receives, or do they customarily receive some cut of what we paid pp for the excursion.

This excursion is limited to 10 people, that have been paid for in full, however we only were able to fill 8 slots.

We don't want to under or over tip....any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PS sailing 10/6 on Dream

Usually when we go on excursions on boats their is a captain and a mate.The captain pretty much drives the boat and the mate does the rest.Usually the captain will announce tips are appreciated for the mate.We usually give a $20 if we had a good time

Archived