Food allergy question re: land portion of Alaska cruises

mum24grlz

My family and I are interested in one of the sea/land Alaska cruises for next summer. But my youngest daughter must eat gluten-free (this is not a life-choice, its an allergy). After contacting HAL, we were told they could not guarantee us gluten-free choices for the land portions of the tour.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions? I realize its rural country but is it really that hard to provide g-f items - and I'm not asking for specific items such as g-f breads or cakes, etc. She eats lots of whole foods - chicken, beef, rice, veggies, fruit.

HAL would/could not provide us with the name/number for the vendor that provides the meals for the land portion either.

My family and I are interested in one of the sea/land Alaska cruises for next summer. But my youngest daughter must eat gluten-free (this is not a life-choice, its an allergy). After contacting HAL, we were told they could not guarantee us gluten-free choices for the land portions of the tour.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions? I realize its rural country but is it really that hard to provide g-f items - and I'm not asking for specific items such as g-f breads or cakes, etc. She eats lots of whole foods - chicken, beef, rice, veggies, fruit.

HAL would/could not provide us with the name/number for the vendor that provides the meals for the land portion either.

There really isn't a specific vendor for the food on the land portion. You purchase your meals yourself at various restaurants. You can purchase a meal package through the cruise/tour, but it's just coupons to be used in the various restaurants.

You'll have the same issues that you would have going out to dinner at home. You also have to option of purchasing food from local grocery stores, if that would work better for you.

:)

I understand your disappointment but understand HAL cannot control food served off the ship and think their honesty is commendable. Much better for you to know in advance than to book and get there and find your DD's needs are not met.

I think this may be a situation where you will have to plan in advance or be willing to do what is necessary when you arrive to meet DD's needs.

Sorry for my honesty :o but this is one of those situations..... Have you encountered this in other travel?

OP you answered your own question. Whole foods like meat, poultry, fruits and veggies are the safe bets. As anyone with celiac disease can tell you there are just so many prepared foods that contain gluten. Hot dogs, hamburgers, condiments, salad dressing, basically most prepared foods contain gluten. Baked goods just can't be trusted 100% unless you have purchased them from a bakery that doesn't cross contaminate.

I have several family members who have celiac disease and know how tough it can be to find true gluten free. It is now easier to find gluten free products since it is now " fashionable" to go gluten free, but don't expect there to be much in small towns.

The best bet is always speak to a registered dietician to do a consult and get the best information.

Archived