room assignments why so secret

omw279

I dont understand. Does anyone know why its so difficut to get your rooms number. I found it on book modify 0nce. Now im locked out. I tried to buy a gift for the room but the site does not recognize the room number. If the room number is reserved why does carnival protect it. Just give us paying customers the Number.

OMW

It's not a secret... when you book a "guarantee" that is the deal! If you want to know your room number, book a specific cabin and not a guarantee... I will never understand why people book a guarantee and then spend the entire time until their cruise trying to find their assignment, knowing full well they may not know it until they get to the pier...

Tp Going Crusing,

Once they assign a room to you they can let you know what it is. You dont make any sense. THE POINT OF GETTING A GUAR IS TO HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF A DECENT UPGRADE. They guard those room numbers like the gold at fort knox.

Omw

Tp Going Crusing,

Once they assign a room to you they can let you know what it is. You dont make any sense. THE POINT OF GETTING A GUAR IS TO HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF A DECENT UPGRADE. They guard those room numbers like the gold at fort knox.

Omw

I don't make any sense??? How sweet :D When you book a guarantee, you are told that yes, you have a chance at getting an upgrade and you may have to wait to get your assignment until you get to the pier. I'm not sure what part of this confuses people so much. A cabin assignment IS NOT FIRM, regardless of where you find it, UNTIL you get it at the pier. That is what happens with a guarantee... you cannot get mad at Carnival when you book a guarantee for not giving you the cabin number, when you agreed to booking a guarantee, which means you will get your assignment when they are ready to give it to you...

Tp Going Crusing,

Omw

Actually, that room can change many times in the process. So they can never tell you exactly what room you will be assigned. I know many people that did the book modify and ended up with an entirely different room.

When you book a Gaur you are telling Carnival you will accept any room in that category. So while you might get an upgrade you could also end up under the galley.

No one shoud EVER book a guarantee because they think they will be getting an upgrade. That is not the point of a gty. The point is...the cruise line will guarantee you a cabin in a certain category that you choose...ANY cabin in that category. In exchange for your agreeing to allow them to determine WHICH cabin, they give you a lower price than if you chose the cabin number yourself. Sometimes...but certainly not always..you may be upgraded..but that should never be the reason you booked the gty. If it is..you stand a BIG chance of being disappointed with your decision. A gty is a good way to go IF you will be happy with ANY cabin within the category you choose.

On Victory, we booked a balcony guarantee and didn't learn our cabin number until we arrived at the pier - found out from the porter, in fact. We had an 8E on Panorama Deck. For our Conquest cruise, we booked a BL guarantee, and I only noticed our upgrade when I logged in to "My Reservation"; the cabin photo looked different. (They showed a picture of a 9A, but we actually have an 8D on the Lido deck.) For the price we paid, we got a deal! We don't know the specific cabin, but don't really need to know, either - the deck assignment is great! (And since we're guarantees, I assume that Carnival has the right to bump us back down if someone comes up with the money between now and July 3 to pay for our cabin:D ) I agree with GoinCruisin - if you want a specific cabin, then book the cabin.

They don't guard your room number nor do they try and keep it from you. It is simply the matter the cruiseline not knowing where they will put you.

A zillion different things factor in to what room you will be assigned to on a ship. Even more so, group bookings play a large factor in where your room will be.

Cancellations, other bookings, rooms being taken out of inventory, accidents, broken equipment, increased bookings, and a ton of other things are all juggled when a computer assigns your room.

Just like a hotel (which is why they have hotel titles in the rooms division), they will maximize bookings to maximize profits.

THE POINT OF GETTING A GUAR IS TO HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF A DECENT UPGRADE. Omw

Oh, but how I disagree. The point of guarantee for me is the lowest fare offer. If I had any (and I mean any) concern of where my cabin might be located, I would never opt for a guarantee status. I have never booked guarantee with even the slighest hope of an 'upgrade'. Have I been upgraded, yes and NO. It's not about the cabin for me so I've never been disappointed with my assignment.

As far as the number being a secret, please. If you booked guarantee you may find your cabin # in advance but for me nine times out of ten I find out at curbside checkin. So what, who cares, it's a guarantee booking. I don't understand all the hoopla over finding out in advance. Just ranting here on my own--nothing geared towards OP!! :cool:

Enjoy your cruise, omw

I booked GTY on most of my Carnival cruises. I book GTY for the lower price AND chance at upgrade and have been all but once. I agree with OP that Carnival is silly about it. I booked GTY with Princess, owned by Carnival, they had my room assignment on my reservation within days. My co-workers that alway go Princess say they always do GTY and Princess always has the room numbers posted weeks in advance.

I also agree with GoinCruisin....if you know that certain areas might bother you you should book a specific cabin.

I have done both...specific cabins and gty's. Personally, I have never been disappointed!

When I travel with all my kids I book a specific cabin. When I travel alone I book a gty.

I don't do it counting on the upgrade (although I have always gotten one) I do it for the price OR because I booked so late that was all I could do in the category I wanted!

For me it all depends on the particulars of the cruise that I am booking.

I have gotten my gty cabin assignements at the pier and also on doc's in advance. However, when I saw the cabin # on docs for my last cruise I always kept in mind that I could be moved. THAT is the nature of a gty. I NEVER try to find my cabin # in advance when I book a gty. Part of the fun is finding out whre I am going to be when I board the ship!

Guest cruzr44
I dont understand. Does anyone know why its so difficut to get your rooms number. I found it on book modify 0nce. Now im locked out. I tried to buy a gift for the room but the site does not recognize the room number. If the room number is reserved why does carnival protect it. Just give us paying customers the Number.

OMW

I'm not sure OMW ever mentions booking a guarantee. OMW, are you sure you booked an assigned cabin or did your TA book you a guarantee? If it is an assigned cabin you should have no problem being given a cabin #. Call your TA or Carnival if you booked directly with them. Maybe I'm just not reading the post right. If not, sorry....

Sharon, no, she didn't mention guarantee, BUT...had she booked a specific cabin, she would KNOW the cabin number.

First, she would have asked for that specific cabin, and second, the cabin number would be on her confirmation notice. SO - Since she has no idea what her cabin number is, that's why everybody's assuming it's a guarantee booking.:)

I'm not sure OMW ever mentions booking a guarantee. OMW, are you sure you booked an assigned cabin or did your TA book you a guarantee? If it is an assigned cabin you should have no problem being given a cabin #. Call your TA or Carnival if you booked directly with them. Maybe I'm just not reading the post right. If not, sorry....

Actually s/he mentions guarantee in their second post.

Tp Going Crusing,

Omw

Just think how upset you will be if you booked an inside cabin and got a balcony only to find when you got to the port you were then in an inside. (its a let down) carnival protects itself now by not telling the majority of the gaurantee holders their assignments until they get to the ship.

Carnival starts setting cabins 6-7 weeks out. I dont know why you cant access the modify pages. (unless your cruise is far out still.

Even though you are a paying passenger you booked a guarantee and they are within their rights not to let you know what the cabin is. ALl cruiselines do it the same way.

Wow, I didn't even know what guarantees were until I started reading this site. I thought you had to book a specific cabin. That's what I did for my first booking. I've tried a guarantee for another cruise, but I would never book a guarantee in anything less than where I would be willing to stay. I know that I must have a balcony so I booked an 8A. I don't understand how people book inside guarantees and just expect to be in a suite when they arrive. If where you are located means that much, book a specific cabin...

Even if the cabin number was discovered recently, it may still change at Carnival's discretion.

OMW, GoinCruzin has 10,000+ posts and definitely makes sense!

Do yourself a favor and eliminate the stress you're putting yourself through trying to find your cabin number...the next time you cruise, book the cabin you want! Simplify your life. ;)

p.s. omw...I just saw on another of your posts where you said you are booked in 8323 on the Destiny for July 10??? :confused:

We told them we wanted a guarantee room--we didn't care as long as we were on the ship! I did the gift thing and looked at my documents and thought we were on M49-an interior room toward the front of the ship. Then the day before we left I checked again just for fun and found out we were moved but didn't know where. When we got to the pier the porter told us M196. Wow!! Were we happy when we found out we were right by the elevators with a great big window!! We loved it!!:D We even got robes with the room. We had no problem with noise or anything. It was great and what a treat!

So glad your guarantee worked out so well!;)

We told them we wanted a guarantee room--we didn't care as long as we were on the ship! I did the gift thing and looked at my documents and thought we were on M49-an interior room toward the front of the ship. Then the day before we left I checked again just for fun and found out we were moved but didn't know where. When we got to the pier the porter told us M196. Wow!! Were we happy when we found out we were right by the elevators with a great big window!! We loved it!!:D We even got robes with the room. We had no problem with noise or anything. It was great and what a treat!

I don't think I could bear not knowing exactly where my cabin is. That's why I pick the one I want. A member recently posted some great pics of my upcoming reservation so now I know every inch of that cabin. The anticipation is an important part of my cruise experience.

BTW - Which cabins Do Not have robes?

The interior rooms don't have robes as far as I know. Except for the robes and the window the interior rooms and the oceanview rooms are just the same. Actually you don't spend that much time there. I also have to say that the beds are extremely comfy!!

The interior rooms don't have robes as far as I know. Except for the robes and the window the interior rooms and the oceanview rooms are just the same. Actually you don't spend that much time there. I also have to say that the beds are extremely comfy!!

Thanks for the reply. I've always had a robe so I guess I just assumed everyone did.

Archived