Epic's Mini Suite vs Balcony

toledo

This was taken from the "official review" here on cruisecritic:

I was struck by the difference in the standard Balcony and Deluxe Balcony staterooms (having the chance to sleep in both varieties), encompassing 216 square feet and 245 square feet, respectively (including the balcony). At 6 foot 1, I felt a little cramped in the smaller space (the bed nearly touched the built-in vanity), and I was traveling alone. An upgrade to the larger stateroom included a bevy of extra cubbyholes for clothes, a larger shower, bathrobes, a full range of toiletries and room to move. Both cabin classes accommodate three, but I'd spend the extra money if I were part of a trio.

Here are two youtube videos showing both types of cabins. The mini suite (deluxe) cabin does not have a bathtub, but the narrator states that the shower is larger. It's hard to compare the two because the bed is in different places.

Thanks jdvmd. Any other words of wisdom for selecting a cabin?

I don't know what area of the ship you are looking at but we loved #11090, quiet location, slightly forward/mid ship. Near the elevators but no so close that you would hear anything.

The majority of the Epic minis do have a tub. We did a cabin crawl and saw every type cabin available. We were also in a mini. Loved the cabin compared to the other ones we saw.

Categories MA and MC have the tub. The other mini categories have a shower.

The minis are only about 3-4 feet longer than a standard balcony and approximately the same width. There is a very slightly different furniture layout, but they're very similar. The minis have either a giant shower or a tub versus a standard shower in the balcony rooms. Unlike with other ships (like the Jewel class), I don't see enough of a difference between the mini and the balcony to justify a higher price. Your mileage may vary.

Very helpful comments! Thanks. I care more about the width of the cabin, not the length. Walking by the bed looks to be an issue, even if it's next to the balcony.

The Epic rooms are narrower than most, but it really wasn't an issue. However, if you're obsessive about room width this ship might not be your first choice. Having said that, the rooms are very comfortable, modern and with lots of storage.

Here are two youtube videos showing both types of cabins. The mini suite (deluxe) cabin does not have a bathtub, but the narrator states that the shower is larger. It's hard to compare the two because the bed is in different places.

My minisuite, 12075, had a bathtub.

I heard enough reviews about not being able to walk past the foot of the bed in the balcony rooms so DH and I went for the Mini. To those who say 29sq ft is not a lot more space, it adds up once you can easily store all luggage and clothing with room to spare and you can easily maneuver around your room.

I moved cabins from MA 12260 to M314063, it was my own choice and I wasn't refunded the difference as I wanted mini suites next to each other. I was under the impression that cabin 12260 would have had a tub (which I didn't want) but that my new cabin 14063 will have a shower?

We had a balcony on Epic last month for 2 adults and a teen and it was fine. The walking past the bed thing was really a non-issue unless you plan to have a parade of people walking back and forth shoulder to shoulder. If you push the bed back into the wall as far as it goes, there was ample room for a plus-sized person to walk past.

We peeked into many mini-suites and I was glad I didn't spend the extra money. The difference was almost unnoticeable (other than the tub and the way the sink was laid out). I honestly had a hard time even telling the difference between balcony & min-suite rooms. Unless the price difference is very small, save your money and go for the balcony.

Archived