Phone calls while on ship on Coastal Cruises -- is there roaming in port?

kath00

We are doing the Coastal in less than 2 weeks and will be docking mostly in US ports (Sapphire Princess). Can I use my Verizon phone to make calls without the crazy ship charges when we are docked in port in San Francisco or San Diego, for example?

Or will I need to worry about the $2.50/min rate? I am sure we will have signal while docked but I dunno if it will still be considered ship call or not?

Thanks! Katherine

We are doing the Coastal in less than 2 weeks and will be docking mostly in US ports (Sapphire Princess). Can I use my Verizon phone to make calls without the crazy ship charges when we are docked in port in San Francisco or San Diego, for example?

Or will I need to worry about the $2.50/min rate? I am sure we will have signal while docked but I dunno if it will still be considered ship call or not?

Thanks! Katherine

Yes, you can make normal calls while docked. We even made normal Verizon calls in Hawaiian ports.

While at sea, the ship will route the calls through the satellite.

Princess uses Maritime Communications Partners (MCP) for their cellular at sea service. When they are using this service it will show it on your phone screen. Instead of "Verizon Wireless" on your phone screen, it will show "MCP" or "90112" (for GSM phones) or it will show "Roaming" on CDMA phones. So if you no longer see " Verizon Wireless" on your phone screen and it is replaced by MCP, 90112, or Roaming, then you know you are connected through the ship's satellite service and will be charged accordingly.

Just be sure your phone screen reads "Verizon Wireless" prior to calling. If it does not, get off the ship and make the call from the dock. I have not experienced an incident when the ship failed to turn off the satellite service while docked, but I suppose it could happen.

Just be sure to check your cell signal that it says Verizon due to if one of the ships are in port and they leave them on. I work in the cell industry and unfortunately have explained to many customers that "that German vessel that was just docked down the street from you left their tower on, sorry". But again, I've never personally had issue in port either when calling. I'll be on a coastal with sapphire saturday and full intend to use my phone.

It's been two years, but I came home to a huge bill from Verizon last trip. Verizon's answer was that they found ships did not turn the signal off immediately and I called too soon and/or too close to the ship from the dock. I like the idea of checking for the word Verizon on my phone. I won't be so trusting this time.

It's been two years, but I came home to a huge bill from Verizon last trip. Verizon's answer was that they found ships did not turn the signal off immediately and I called too soon and/or too close to the ship from the dock. I like the idea of checking for the word Verizon on my phone. I won't be so trusting this time.

Thank you! Is the "Verizon" word on the front screen before you unlock the phone (I have the Samsung S3)? I want to make sure I don't mess this up. Appreciate all the help. Katherine

Thank you! Is the "Verizon" word on the front screen before you unlock the phone (I have the Samsung S3)? I want to make sure I don't mess this up. Appreciate all the help. Katherine

I don't have a Samsung phone, but my phone shows "Verizon Wireless" in the upper left hand corner prior to unlocking the phone.

Archived