Best cabin for Vertigo

snownsun

Could someone pls advise what the best cabin would be for a Vertigo suffer? Looking at cruising on Independence of the Seas, & very limited numbers of cabins left available:

Deck 2, Inside midship

Deck 6, Promenade view, midship (not above a bar)

Deck 6, Hump, port side

Deck 6, Balcony, seaboard side, midship

Cheers,

Bev :)

Could someone pls advise what the best cabin would be for a Vertigo suffer? Looking at cruising on Independence of the Seas, & very limited numbers of cabins left available:

Deck 2, Inside midship

Deck 6, Hump, port side

Cheers,

My pick would be Deck 6, Hump, Port side. I suffer from motion sickness and vertigo and usually stay anywhere between hump and aft on Deck 7 or 8 and have not had a problem. Good luck.

Deck 2, Inside midship

Deck 6, Hump, port side

Cheers,

The least motion would be the lowest stateroom, closest to midship.

I suffer from Vertigo, I have always stayed as close to mid-ship as possible and at least in a oceanview room so that I can acclimate myself if I need to (knocking on wood - I haven't had a problem). I can tell you that I start taking motion sickness medication the day before I cruise and am religious about it while I am away. Dramamine does not work for me, I take Bonine (over the counter). I would say that you want to have a view of the horizon wherever you stay on the ship. Might be a bit more, but just for the comfort of knowing that I can see out, it is worth it to me.

Best of luck to you...

Deck 2, Inside midship

Deck 6, Hump, port side

Cheers,

Bev,

I suffer also. My last cruise was kind of rocky and I was on Deck 3 Midship Oceanview. I noticed when I went up to the Windjammer I could really feal the motion more. I would say anything you can get deck 6 or lower and midship. I would not do an inside. Whatever you do, don't get anything forward on the ship. I did that one year and I felt like I was going to die.:eek:

I also suffer from Vertigo. I understand........

I start taking Bonine (store brand is fine) about 2 days before sailing. I'll take one in the AM and one in the PM. Then everyday on the ship I will take ONE Bonine each evening. Two days prior to debarkation I will take a Bonine in the AM AND in the PM........then I continue to take one Bonine every day for a week AFTER I get home.

I don't seem to get dizzy, etc., ON the ship......(not to much anyway) but I seem to get it more when I get back home.........taking the Bonine the way I have the past few cruises has helped a lot and my dizziness, etc., doesn't seem to last as long........I hope this method works for you if you decide to give it a try.

Being mid-ship is a good choice. We have stayed in the PROMENADE cabin mid ship and for me, it was fantastic vertigo wise........plus, I LOVE those cabins!!!

HAPPY CRUISING.........:)

I start taking Bonine (store brand is fine) about 2 days before sailing.........then I continue to take one Bonine every day for a week AFTER I get home.

I don't seem to get dizzy, etc., ON the ship......(not to much anyway) but I seem to get it more when I get back home.........taking the Bonine the way I have the past few cruises has helped a lot and my dizziness, etc., doesn't seem to last as long........I hope this method works for you if you decide to give it a try.

GrannyOfFive,

I thought I was the only one that had that problem when I get home. Last time it took me a week to stop feeling like I was on the water. I took Bonine for that week and it did help a lot! Whhhewww... I feel better knowing that there are others who get that and I am going to try your trick to take it AM and PM before you get off the ship.

i missed our april cruise because of vertigo(ended up in the hospital for 2 days), so i was very scared in august. i took everyting with me patch, pills, phenigen(sp). you name it i took it with me. our room was on the second floor a bit toward the back. i took a bonine everynight before dinner, and thank you God, never got sick. we who suffer know how you feel:) go and enjoy, and take bonine before during and after, it's the super pill

Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful replies!

Sounds like the Inside deck 2 would be out.

I was curious to know if the Promenade cabin was like having an Ocean view in relation to having a horizon to look at. It was interesting, GRANNYOFFIVE, that you said this type of cabin worked for you.

Last cruise on the FOS, we were in a Balcony, FWD, deck 8 cabin. :eek:. Never again, although the crew did say the seas were overly rough for that sailing.

I'll have to find out what the equivalent of 'Bonine' is here in OZ.

I absolutely love travelling (in the biz), but any long journeys - boat, train, plane - just send my head spinnin for weeks.:(

Note that Bonine is not available in all countries. It is currently not available in Canada (I read on the internet that it is not distributed everywhere because it can be combined with recreational drugs for some illicit purpose). If you can't find it in Australia, try the pharmacy when you get to the US (I assume your cruise is departing from a US port).

Hi , Im a sufferer too so i know how you feel .

Ive been on Independence three times now. Once in a Promenade cabin on deck 7 and on balcony mid ship on deck 7 and 9. they were all fine but i would go for the balcony everytime if you can. I feel better when I can get fresh air.

I start taking travel pills a couple of days before cruise and for first couple of days at sea, then last couple of sea days and ive always been ok.Even though Indi is a huge ship I can still feel it rocking in the theatre sometimes, so I personally wouldnt go in a cabin low down in the ship.

Try not to worry about it and just go and have a good time Im sure youll be fine ,Indi is a fabulous ship.

Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful replies!

Sounds like the Inside deck 2 would be out.

I was curious to know if the Promenade cabin was like having an Ocean view in relation to having a horizon to look at. It was interesting, GRANNYOFFIVE, that you said this type of cabin worked for you.

Last cruise on the FOS, we were in a Balcony, FWD, deck 8 cabin. :eek:. Never again, although the crew did say the seas were overly rough for that sailing.

I'll have to find out what the equivalent of 'Bonine' is here in OZ.

I absolutely love travelling (in the biz), but any long journeys - boat, train, plane - just send my head spinnin for weeks.:(

No, having a Promenade cabin would not give you a horizon to look at like an outside view cabin.

Deck 2, Inside midship

Deck 6, Hump, port side

Cheers,

Deck 6, Hump, port side

I start taking Bonine (store brand is fine) about 2 days before sailing. I'll take one in the AM and one in the PM. Then everyday on the ship I will take ONE Bonine each evening. Two days prior to debarkation I will take a Bonine in the AM AND in the PM........then I continue to take one Bonine every day for a week AFTER I get home.

Being mid-ship is a good choice. We have stayed in the PROMENADE cabin mid ship and for me, it was fantastic vertigo wise........plus, I LOVE those cabins!!!

Wow, never thought to take it afterwards. Going to do that next cruise as I too have felt the effects for a few days after. Thanks for the tip.

HAPPY CRUISING.........:)

I'm going to take your advice but Bonine is really expensive in the UK and I'm on the ship 24 days !!! I'll need 37 tablets - wow. Ha ha ha !!

I almost hate to admit this, but as I read the title of this thread, I thought to myself, "Hey, is this is ship I haven't heard of.....Vertigo of the Seas?" And then my brain kicked back in and I realized you were talking about the physical condition, vertigo! AHHHHH....maybe I need to start a thread titled "Best cabin for Senility"! :eek:

I have had benign positional vertigo for years and have had no particular issues on our 44 cruises. At home I can have it for a few days at a time or for many months. I have found keeping hydrated (sorry, no alcohol) helps lessen my vertigo. Also found that having a bed perpendicular to the outside wall of the ship helps.

Ive found the best for me is sturgeron which I get from Boots , you take two to start with then one every eight hours but you only need it for a few days . Ive never needed it for the whole cruise.Once I get my sea legs Im fine and its never made me drowsy. I start to take it for the last couple of days as well and as weve had a few very stormy days over the Bay of Biscay its seen me through just fine.

I'm going to take your advice but Bonine is really expensive in the UK and I'm on the ship 24 days !!! I'll need 37 tablets - wow. Ha ha ha !!

I use phernagen tablets, one every night starting the night before the cruise and one in the morning if the seas are rough. There are really good and i don't seem to suffer any side effects!

I use them for car journey, flights and cruises!

PLUS they're quite cheap, buy over the counter from a pharmacy

Louise

Ive found the best for me is sturgeron which I get from Boots , you take two to start with then one every eight hours but you only need it for a few days . Ive never needed it for the whole cruise.Once I get my sea legs Im fine and its never made me drowsy. I start to take it for the last couple of days as well and as weve had a few very stormy days over the Bay of Biscay its seen me through just fine.

It shows you how different people react to the same tablets as when i tried Sturgeon it didn't work for me at all - i was really ill :(

Wow, I didn't realise how many others suffer from Vertigo too. Mine is awful for about 2 weeks after a long trip.

Thanks for all the amazing advice with fighting it!!:)

If you're taking Bonine with/after dinner, does that mean no alcohol in the evening??? How boring :eek: I'll try to find someone who is travelling from here to the US, to buy some for me while there, cos the vertigo thing all starts with the long flight over to Florida.

Unfortunately, my sister from Canada who was going to join me on the cruise, might not now be able to get her vacation leave.:( Hubby doesn't want to go; last cruise with him, it was like I was travelling solo anyways. However, I'd made so many new friends from the Rollcall thread & Meet & Mingle, that I had a blast without him & everyone thought I was making it up that the invisible husband was even on board. :p:D

Archived