So now I know the OTHER side of Costa

Blondie008

While policies on all Costa ships is basically the same, the NeoRomantica does have several "specials" that Blondie has enumerated. As for the other problems, I doubt that the Magica is no better or worse than the other ships of the fleet. MDR food is prepared in the same way following mainly the master menus published by Costa headquarters in Genoa, and if you're able to join one of the special kitchen tours you'll see that everything is made fresh regardless of the specific ship or its chef. Another thought: the seven day west Med loop itineraries attract families and lots of younger generation so the on board atmosphere will be more chaotic than the longer cruises which are preferred by the older repeater cruisers. The on board specialty restaurants are open to all passengers but require a €25 surcharge - they're free once per cruise for Costa Club pearl and gold pearl members. Prices of course vary by country origin, cabin category, booking early/late, Costa Club status, etc., etc.

While policies on all Costa ships is basically the same, the NeoRomantica does have several "specials" that Blondie has enumerated. As for the other problems, I doubt that the Magica is no better or worse than the other ships of the fleet. MDR food is prepared in the same way following mainly the master menus published by Costa headquarters in Genoa, and if you're able to join one of the special kitchen tours you'll see that everything is made fresh regardless of the specific ship or its chef. Another thought: the seven day west Med loop itineraries attract families and lots of younger generation so the on board atmosphere will be more chaotic than the longer cruises which are preferred by the older repeater cruisers. The on board specialty restaurants are open to all passengers but require a €25 surcharge - they're free once per cruise for Costa Club pearl and gold pearl members. Prices of course vary by country origin, cabin category, booking early/late, Costa Club status, etc., etc.

Wholeheartedly agree with you - hence why we learned the difference and cancelled our next cruise, (again a 7 day loop) and transferred deposits to NeoR

One thing for me - and its a very significant difference - was - my gluten free meals on NeoR I am sure were made fresh - the menu also offered me more choices. On Magica - I have absolutely no doubt what so ever the food was frozen - I had ice in my meals so many times I gave up commenting.

As a food producer - I did raise that comment with head office - as food is clearly not being probed. When they micro heat frozen GF meals - they need to be twice as careful - I kind of dont mind that its frozen as long as the quality is good for GF (and I am none the wiser!) - what I did mind, was piping hot pasta , sizzling on top - and digging my fork into a block of ice...

They should be probing regularly, and in particular - anything and everything prepared from frozen

They had awesome desserts - but again - served still frozen. I know we dont think here of ordering dessert until after our mains - but there - I was given a highlighter pen and asked for all items to be marked - They did an fab GF Tirimasu (not available on NeoR) - and if I ordered at the beginning of the meal - generally - it was defrosted by the time I got to dessert course.

I am not knocking Costa - ANY choice when you are Gluten Free becomes fabulous - just there is a difference between the ships in how they cook and prepare GF

I was NOT ALLOWED - to make a reservation in the Club restaurant on Magica (even at my own liability) - they do have a very firm policy in place, which in a big ship - is good -

Also in the MDR at lunch on Magica - there is a specific dining section where tables are reserved for GF - That was rather nice as it was rarely busy and meant for a lovely peaceful lunch.

I believe main courses at dinner at night (not pasta) were cooked from fresh - but they didnt have the same "zing" as on NeoR -

No matter what though- Costa still do a better job of gluten free dining than most restaurants do - even yet!

I've been told by several people Costa does a good job on gluten-free.

And repeat cruisers- I was on Serena on a shorter Adriatic cruise, but in November. Went to the Costa Club cocktail, a bit surprised by how few people were there. Turned out it was the Gold Pearl party. That's the premium level- and on Costa, that's not only a lot of points, but you must cruise regularly to keep your status. Needless to say, the regular party in the theatre was packed. So there's a lot of people who are very, very happy with Costa.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Blondie,

Well after coming back to CC after a long time away I find that your experience on the Magica rather strange.

We have been on the Magica in 05, twice in 09 and three times in 2011, although the buffet was poor we had very few children on board. (Jan, Oct, Feb, Feb, June and Nov)

The standard across the fleet has dropped somewhat since 2010 and I will admit that we are rather mad at them at the moment, through poor customer service.

On the other 17 odd cruises with Costa we have never had loads of children, love the old Romantica but not keen on the revamped Neo-Romantica. (the Mini Suites were to die for)

Best ships for us have long gone the Europa, Tropicale were outstanding and fostered our love of the Costa Brand.

But do try the Serena, Fortuna out of season if you can, remember school holidays are different in Italy, Oct through to mid March in the 'Med' is lovely even Christmas time we only had a few Children on the Atlantica & Victoria.

We cruise again soon which may well be our last Costa (done them all) and we are trying MSC. Love Princess and Hal but seems to me their prices are way over the top compared with Costa.

Archived