Ouestions about Crusing in January

I have done a search, but only found a few threads about crusing in January. The friend that I will be taking with me in 2006, does not know if she will get seasick or not, so what has been your experience with the seas in the Eastern Caribbean in January? Second, she is worried that it will not be warm enough. I know no one can predict the weather, but again, your experience.

I have asked someone really in the know, lol, and they said that while it may be chilly in Miami, it will not be in the Caribbean. But, I found the nights to be somewhat chilly just last week. Which I did not mind, but think my friend would.

I don't want to wait until May to go next year, March and April are out. Maybe one date in March, like the 11th, but rooms are very limited, and really, only deck 10 has a few choices.

Input, advice, and experience please. And if you frequently cruise in January, please tell me why.

Thanks!:)

We cruised the Western Carribean this last January from Galveston. The weather was nice the whole time. We only felt chilly the last night coming back to port. Never had any problems with the seas either, but that can be unpredictable anytime of the year.

We are scheduled on the January sailing of the Mariner for Eastern Carribean in 2006 and the Freedom in 2007 so we like the lower prices and the break from the winter in January, even though we live in Texas.

1crona,

We only cruise in late January and early February because it is a slow period at our business. We close our business completely down when we cruise. We have taken three cruises, two out of Galveston and one from Miami.

We took the Rhapsody out of Galveston, for a seven night cruise and it was cool, but not cold the first night leaving and on the return, and the seas were like glass. Friends of ours sailed on the very same ship two weeks before ours and it was cold and raining the entire time. Saying that the entire USA was frozen with abnormal temperatures.

Our second cruise on the Splendour, at the beginning of February to the Panama Canal, the first day out and the last day going in was windy and I wore a sweatshirt with my shorts. Once we were in Cozumel sleevless tops and shorts. We swam out Pardise Beach and sun bathed. Oh the seas were rough on this sailing, but we never got sea sick.

Third cruise on the Brilliance, to the Eastern Caribbean, first day out was chilly but not cold in had on shorts and shortsleeve top and a windbreaker I think.

We don't have any other choice, at the present time, because our business dictates when we cruise. Saying that in January and February your ship isn't over run with kids. Our cruises have been longer so that could be a kid factor.

Our next two cruises are on the Majesty and the Brilliance in January thru February 4th. Run clock Run.

1crona,

We only cruise in late January and early February because it is a slow period at our business. We close our business completely down when we cruise. We have taken three cruises, two out of Galveston and one from Miami.

We took the Rhapsody out of Galveston, for a seven night cruise and it was cool, but not cold the first night leaving and on the return, and the seas were like glass. Friends of ours sailed on the very same ship two weeks before ours and it was cold and raining the entire time. Saying that the entire USA was frozen with abnormal temperatures.

Our second cruise on the Splendour, at the beginning of February to the Panama Canal, the first day out and the last day going in was windy and I wore a sweatshirt with my shorts. Once we were in Cozumel sleevless tops and shorts. We swam out Pardise Beach and sun bathed. Oh the seas were rough on this sailing, but we never got sea sick.

Third cruise on the Brilliance, to the Eastern Caribbean, first day out was chilly but not cold in had on shorts and shortsleeve top and a windbreaker I think.

We don't have any other choice, at the present time, because our business dictates when we cruise. Saying that in January and February your ship isn't over run with kids. Our cruises have been longer so that could be a kid factor.

Our next two cruises are on the Majesty and the Brilliance in January thru February 4th. Run clock Run.

See, this is the thing with me too. I have a business that I have to close down too. This year, I missed Mother's day, which probably cost me about $2000.00. Not a big thing, but for next year, I would like to have that revenue back, LOL. Thanks for the reply.

1crona,

I have to laugh at your signature...... you should buy a Dell.

LOL, yeah, well judging by the title, and parts of the post, apparently, the "I" is starting to go now too.....it's just a matter of time before the keyboard has a total melt down, and me along with it, LOL....I am going to call them again on Monday!!!

Hello 1corona4u

We've only sailed 1 time in January, but the weather was great. Went to the western side. Grand Cayman, Key West and Belize and Cozumel. The temps in Cozumel were mid 80's and Belize it was near 90. The water temps were tolerable in Cozumel and Belize because it was warm outside. BUT keep in mind I like hot, hot temps and I like to swim when the water temps around 86 to 88. No rough seas. You can't predict the weather nor the ocean, but I say you'll get your best prices in January and there be relatively no kids. I've never been to the Eastern side in the winter months, so I can't say. My favorite time to cruise is when I can get a great deal, Sept. thru Jan. But our family will usually go in May.

Just remember Get Out There and have a good time. Enjoy your cruising experience and adventures.

Linda :)

Since we no longer have to plan around the school vacation calendar, we cruise during the last week of January each year. The holidays are over but the February school vacations have not started yet. Therefore the prices have not started to rise. Maybe we have been lucky, but we have always had wonderful weather. The days are warm and generally have a light breeze. If we are swimming, the water has been great. We have had a couple occasions where we had a blustery day including some rain. You just have to remind yourself that it is winter in the northern hemisphere! We certainly do not let it ruin our day. We may just alter our plans a little.

Hello 1corona4u

We've only sailed 1 time in January, but the weather was great. Went to the western side. Grand Cayman, Key West and Belize and Cozumel. The temps in Cozumel were mid 80's and Belize it was near 90. The water temps were tolerable in Cozumel and Belize because it was warm outside. BUT keep in mind I like hot, hot temps and I like to swim when the water temps around 86 to 88. No rough seas. You can't predict the weather nor the ocean, but I say you'll get your best prices in January and there be relatively no kids. I've never been to the Eastern side in the winter months, so I can't say. My favorite time to cruise is when I can get a great deal, Sept. thru Jan. But our family will usually go in May.

Just remember Get Out There and have a good time. Enjoy your cruising experience and adventures.

Linda :)

Linda, can you post your email address....need to tell you something....

Isn't January really busy for you? I envy you...... more cruises for you at some point since you don't have to pay for air tickets.

It costs several thousand to shut our business down as well. It is so worth it though as I don't worrry about anything while we are gone...... ah one more thing that we have in common.... you have to love the Coronas.... and heah I won't pass up a Dos Equis green label:p

Isn't January really busy for you? I envy you...... more cruises for you at some point since you don't have to pay for air tickets.

It costs several thousand to shut our business down as well. It is so worth it though as I don't worrry about anything while we are gone...... ah one more thing that we have in common.... you have to love the Coronas.... and heah I won't pass up a Dos Equis green label:p

Any holiday is busy for me, but the key ones are Christmas, Valentine's day, and Easter. I have a gift business, and usually, it slows down a bit after Christmas. Dead months are generally, Aug. Sept, Oct. but I don't want to cruise during those months. My buisiness also deals with all occasions, so you just never know.

I don't post anything more about it on here, as I don't want it to seem like I am advertising.;)

Being from California, we like the Caribbean in January because it is still warm but not as humid as it is in the summer. Perfect weather. We did have some showers a couple of days, but they were short. I do not remember having any chilly days. I think Miami was a little chilly at night, but not during the day. Best time to be in the Caribbean! :D

MIke

I've cruised the western and eastern Caribbean both in january/february and the weather was good most of the time. But I'm from Holland so every thing above 70 is ok for me :-)

I looked up compasses for you from the Western 2005 cruise:

Jan/29 Miami - Showers - 77F

Jan/30 Sea - Partly Cloudy - 78F

Jan/31 Labadee - Cloudy - 79F

Feb/01 Ocho Rios - Partly Cloudy - 87F

Feb/02 George Town - Partly Cloudy - 82F

Feb/03 Cozumel - Partly Cloudy - 75F

Feb/04 Sea - Partly Cloudy - 80F

The eastern in 2004 was a bit better.

Hi there,

We sailed the western this past January. It was very, very choppy. The waves were horrendous, night after night. One night a guy a few cabins down from us went beserk at about 3a.m., screaming we are all going to die!! This is not suppose to be happening!! I think he was drinking to much or something, it wasn't that bad to us.

The captain announced for us not to out on deck on our last sea day. Lots and lots of people were seasick. My DH and I were feeling funny, not really sick, just funny. This is the worst seas we have ever experinced. This was also the first time we sailed in January. The ports, were chilly even during the day. By the time we got to Cozumel it was warmer, but Miami was cold, I had to buy a sweatshirt to go home in.

Would this stop me from cruising in January again? Heck no!! We are looking for a short getaway cruise in January next year to hold us over until our Freedom cruise. It's so cold here in the winter, the rough seas and chilly sea air is far better, than snowy Pittsburgh weather anyday.

Not sure if this helps you very much, just my experience in January cruising.

Peggy

Our wedding anniversary is February 2nd, and so we always go on a cruise around that time (and have done so for the last 6 years).We have sailed Eastern, Western, and Southern Carribean, as well as the Panama Canal and Western Mexico.I can count on one hand the rough days (and only very slightly bumpy) we've had, and the weather is usually wonderful. It's my favourite time of the year in the Carribean.

There's also a lack of kids, especially on the longer trips we choose. When we take our kids during Spring Break, it's quite different!!

Just our experience..

I've cruised the western and eastern Caribbean both in january/february and the weather was good most of the time. But I'm from Holland so every thing above 70 is ok for me :-)

I looked up compasses for you from the Western 2005 cruise:

Jan/29 Miami - Showers - 77F

Jan/30 Sea - Partly Cloudy - 78F

Jan/31 Labadee - Cloudy - 79F

Feb/01 Ocho Rios - Partly Cloudy - 87F

Feb/02 George Town - Partly Cloudy - 82F

Feb/03 Cozumel - Partly Cloudy - 75F

Feb/04 Sea - Partly Cloudy - 80F

The eastern in 2004 was a bit better.

Thanks for looking that up! I appreciate it. I have the Jan. cruise booked, but am still thinking about it....my friend will kill me if it's cold, rough, or cloudy, LOL....I just don't know yet, but I better hurry and decide...if I am going to change it.

Ok, in my quest to try to figure out what to do, LOL, I found this really cool archive on satellite maps. They are searchable, and you can even get a loop. They do not have 2005, but it does go back a ways. I looked at dates as far back as 2001 for Jan, and it's a mixed bag. Thought I'd share the site though.

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/GOESBrowser/goesbrowser

Just put in the date, then on the menu, choose the GOES-12 Visible 18:00 Northern Hemisphere - East, click on view image at the bottom, then once that image pops up, you can choose to loop it,(at the top of the image) and it will go back a few days, and end on the date you chose.

Of the two cruises I've taken in January, I only had cold weather on one. That was in Ft. Lauderdale and everyone needed jackets in the evening. The water taxi even turned on the heat for us. Things warmed up nicely after leaving port.

My vote is for January. Personally, January is good for us because of my DH's work schedule. Myself, I can get off work practically anytime. We had to pull our son out of school for a week, but he seemed to do okay catching up. What the other posters have said about the lack of kids is true, I hardly noticed any kids at all on our cruise. Definitely not enough of them to be annoying. ;) We liked January well enough to book another cruise for next year at the same time of year. Rates are great during January too.

On on Mariner cruise last January 2-9, the weather was beautiful. The cruise left out of Port Canaveral, where the weather was around 65 or so. The ports were Labadee, Haiti; Ochos Rios, Jamaica; Georgetown, Grand Cayman; and Cozumel, Mexico. With the exception of about an hour of rain in Jamaica the weather was warm (80-85) and sunny the entire week. As far as the 'motion of the ocean' I could feel it, but it wasn't enough to make me ill. I did take a Bonine (available at Guest Relations for free) the first night, but that was a precaution more than anything. It was my first cruise, so I was a little scared that I would get sick, but I was fine. Also, I got a prescription for the patch (TransDerm?) from my dr and filled it at my local pharmacy and took that along too, but never needed it. Since I only paid a small copay for it and it doesn't expire for a couple of years, I'll take it along on my next cruise...just for extra insurance.

• 4 months later...

We have cruised both western and eastern in December, January and February and the weather was very decent. We experience more rain in the Bahamas than anywhere else. Though I never really gave it much thought I would say the seas in the Western are more pleasant...but I have and hope to never experience what I would consider rough seas...though my DH has told me we have while cruising the Atlantic, back to port...but IMO I was rocked to sleep! ;)

IMO, the ships feel less crowded in January and February!

Cindy

We have cruised both western and eastern in December, January and February and the weather was very decent. We experience more rain in the Bahamas than anywhere else. Though I never really gave it much thought I would say the seas in the Western are more pleasant...but I have and hope to never experience what I would consider rough seas...though my DH has told me we have while cruising the Atlantic, back to port...but IMO I was rocked to sleep! ;)

IMO, the ships feel less crowded in January and February!

Cindy

Cindy, are you and Kewlguy having a competition to see who can bring back the oldest thread :confused: :confused:

###

Archived