Ouestions about Crusing in January

Have cruised once in January and would definitely not do it again.

First of all, we are from the north - expected bad weather and planned for it - even flew in a day early - didn't help still had bad air delays because of storms at major hubs throughout East coast and Midwest. We finally arrived, but a little frazzled.

Did the western route - it was cold, rained almost every day. Best weather was in Cozumel the last days of he trip. Rained solid for three days and it was not particularly warm - temperatures were in he low 70s and very windy on deck which made it seem colder - not what we are used to in the Caribbean.

Return trip home was also a mess because of weather.

I'm cruising in Feb 13 on the Western Route and now I'm worried about the weather. When In January did you sail. Early or late.

You shouldn't worry too much. Average temps in the Carribean in January are usually low 80s depending on where you go. We went this past January and had incredible weather each day. Jamaica was very hot and GC was absolutely gorgeous. We swam (well DRF and river tubing in Ocho Rios) at each port and had sunny skies every day. We will be returning again in January, but not until 2007.

We have only cruised in Jan -Feb and this year will be our 5th cruise. We have had great weather once you are out of the port areas. While at each Caribbean port, the weather has been mid 80s. And the sun is so much hotter there that it always feels HOT. The water temps can be a bit cool but after awhile in the sun, who cares!

I have done a search, but only found a few threads about crusing in January. The friend that I will be taking with me in 2006, does not know if she will get seasick or not, so what has been your experience with the seas in the Eastern Caribbean in January? Second, she is worried that it will not be warm enough. I know no one can predict the weather, but again, your experience.

I have asked someone really in the know, lol, and they said that while it may be chilly in Miami, it will not be in the Caribbean. But, I found the nights to be somewhat chilly just last week. Which I did not mind, but think my friend would.

I don't want to wait until May to go next year, March and April are out. Maybe one date in March, like the 11th, but rooms are very limited, and really, only deck 10 has a few choices.

Input, advice, and experience please. And if you frequently cruise in January, please tell me why.

Thanks!:)

We cruised the Eastern Caribbean on the Radiance last February and had awesome weather! I mean it - picture perfect every day. Maybe we were just lucky, but we always travel late January or early February every year and have had incredible weather, especially in ports like St.Maarten, Aruba etc.

I was terrified about seasickness as most of the CC community knows, but I was fine - there was very little movement of the ship, and when it did rock - it literally rocked me to sleep!

I think you should tell your friend that she'll have a great time cruising in late January or February - and hopefully the weather Gods will be on your side!

Have fun and good luck:)

We love to cruise in January and February... it breaks up a very long, cold winter for us. We've always had beautiful weather! It was a little on the cool side when we left Miami for our last cruise. So much of it though is what your perspective of "cold" is.... DH and I were both wearing short sleaves, shorts and sandles. The people working at the Port all had on Parkas! Not just jackets... PARKAS! :eek:

We only do the Caribbean in late January to early February. Lows upper 60's to low 70's, highs around 80. Perfect weather. Leaving January 28 for two weeks this winter. Makes the midwest winters seem a lot shorter. No hurricanes to dodge and the seas have always been favorable.

I need to stop telling people this. Too many going will raise the price I pay.

We were on the Radiance eastern route Jan. 2-9, 2005. We sailed out of FLL on Sat. and did not see any sun at all until Tuesday when we unexpectedly docked at San Juan. The weather and sea conditions were so rough we had to skip Coco Cay on Monday and sailed at full speed ahead to make it to San Juan - made it be 1:00 on Tuesday. (We were very grateful that the capitan made this decision!) The sea was really, really rough, with the ship pitching and rolling in high seas and into a 40 knot gale. The captain said, "That's what the Atlantic is like in the winter!" The extra stop was a blast - we really enjoyed it, but weather was showery - on and off - until Thursday in St. Maartin. By the way, we burned so much fuel making it to San Juan in the storm that we had to stop at St. Croix for fuel after we left St. Thomas. In spite of all that, the cruise was great - with lots of adventure stories to tell when we got home. The bottom line - you never know about the weather! Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's not! Have a great cruise and be prepared to have fun no matter what!

We have taken several cruises out of Miami in late January and early February. I would not recommend the Bahamas because they can get chilly in January. I prefer the southern caribbean or western caribbean that time of year. Checkout www.weather.com and look at the average temps. It was very hot in Cozumel in early February last time we stopped there. Fortunately, the humidity is not as high that time of year. Bright sunshine every time we cruise during those winter months because all the storms are across the US then and not in the Mexico area.

I've cruised twice in January. The first time was out of San Juan so the temperatures were warm to us. The locals, however, were in long pants and sweaters. The second time was out of Ft. Lauderdale. It was very cool in the evening while we were still in the city, but warmed up nicely at sea the next day. I was told that that cold snap was unusual even in January.

I've cruised twice in January. The first time was out of San Juan so the temperatures were warm to us. The locals, however, were in long pants and sweaters.

Deb, I think it all depends on what you are used to. We took the Monarch out of San Pedro last August, the temps were high 70's and low 80's, we were freezing!! Ok, perhaps *chilly* is better wording :D We are used to having 110+ temps in August in Arizona :p

###

Our "girls cruise" was last January on the Explorer. It was wonderful especially coming from cold, snowy Michigan. It was "chilly" leaving Miami - we were wearing sweatshirts at sailaway. But by the time we woke up the next morning it was warm and sunny. We had great weather all week - except for a cool and cloudy start in Costa Maya (by afternoon it was warm and sunny). It was even colder in Miami when we returned the next Saturday -- but the weather matched our moods since our vacation was coming to an end.

The first day it was rough at sea -- but no one in our party was sick (although my paranoid sister was taking Bonine like candy!). It settled down by the end of the second day.

Our waitress in the dining room said that the Eastern route the week before had been cold and rainy. Everyone had to wear jackets all week. She said she would never suggest the Eastern route in January because you never knew what the weather would bring -- it was often cooler. I've never done the Eastern route so I don't know how true this is.

HTH -

3_9_4v.gif 36_1_26.gif

We love to cruise in January and February... it breaks up a very long, cold winter for us. We've always had beautiful weather! It was a little on the cool side when we left Miami for our last cruise. So much of it though is what your perspective of "cold" is.... DH and I were both wearing short sleaves, shorts and sandles. The people working at the Port all had on Parkas! Not just jackets... PARKAS! :eek:

That is too funny. We cruised January 04 on Disney and on the way to the ship we stopped for breakfast with our friends. Temps were in the 50s and my son and I each had shorts and short sleeve shirts on. We were eating breakfast and these people kept coming in with parkas, gloves, hats and boots on. It was quite a sight. The waitress finally came over and asked us if we were from Alaska. We said no, but where we had just left was 12 degrees below zero, so we were very happy to be in warm weather in January. She looked at us like we were crazy.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb062&pp=ZSYYYYYYYYUS

Archived