Miami Cruise Terminal

allyg

My husband and I are doing the back-to-back ending with the crossing in Miami on November 29. Our flight to IAD is late and I am trying to decide how to spend our day. Is there luggage storage at the cruise terminal? Can a car be rented from that location or would it be necessary to transfer to the airport and then rent? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

allyg

My husband and I are doing the back-to-back ending with the crossing in Miami on November 29. Our flight to IAD is late and I am trying to decide how to spend our day. Is there luggage storage at the cruise terminal? Can a car be rented from that location or would it be necessary to transfer to the airport and then rent? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

allyg

There is a Hertz Rental office in downtown Miami, just a short distance from the port, and they have a shuttle which runs very often. Fair warning, it gets very busy if several ships are disembarking at the same time (usually a Sunday) -- we actually had to stand in line on the sidewalk outside the office for about 30 minutes. Other than that, very convenient.

However, since you will be flying out later, my suggestion would be to take a taxi to the airport and rent there for the day, then you will be at the airport when you return the car. If you rent the car downtown, you still have to get to the airport after your turn in the car -- unless they would let you rent it downtown and turn it in at the airport without a one-way charge -- you could ask..

It's about 2 miles from the port to the rental office, but it's only about 8 miles to the airport, and that's mostly of an expressway, so you might actually take longer to wait for the Hertz shuttle and go downtown than you would taking a taxi to the airport.

If you do rent a car, you can takeyour luggage with you in the car. When I rent a car at an airport, or use offsite parking, I leave Betsy at the airport with the luggage while I get the car then pick her up, and drop her off at the airport with the luggage before I park or return the car.

Even though we live a couple of hours from Miami and travel through there often, we don't go there casually, so don't have any recommendations for things to do.

We used the downtown Hertz facility in 2011 after the Maiden Voyage of Marina. Everyone had to leave the ship for a Coast Guard inspection, but we were due back the next day for the next voyage. We opted to rent the car, drive home, check the mail and do a laundry, then drive back to Miami the next morning. We had signed up for a compact economy car but they ran out of those and assigned us a mini-van -- no problems with luggage :).

Allyg:

Wait for me right outside the terminal and I'll be glad to take you to the rental car plazas at the airport as Don suggests.

Then drive to South Beach get a day room at a beachfront hotel (The Shelboure is my favorite) and spend a few hours relaxing at the beach/pool. Have lunch there and if time permits, walk around famous Lincoln Road which is great for people watching and shopping. If time really permits, visit the Bass Museum.

The Shelbourne, Lincoln Road and the Bass are all walking distance.

I'll be at the Terminal at 9:00 am sharp and I'll be driving a Navy Blue Range Rover.

Enjoy your cruise and I'll see you in Miami.

FDR

I'll be at the Terminal at 9:00 am sharp and I'll be driving a Navy Blue Range Rover.

FDR

Can you pick us up also ..need a "nice ride" to the airport :D:D

Lyn

What fabulous advice from all of you!! FDR, are you kidding about the pick-up? Sounds wonderful but a great deal of effort on your part! I am still in the process of looking at rentals but do think renting from the airport makes more sense and what a great idea to spend the day at the Shelbourne! I am not sure if we will be off the ship at 9:00. I had friends who did the Marina maiden crossing and they were kept on the ship quite a long time and almost missed their flight. My e-mail address is alicemail1@cox.net. Thanks again!

What fabulous advice from all of you!! FDR, are you kidding about the pick-up? Sounds wonderful but a great deal of effort on your part! I am still in the process of looking at rentals but do think renting from the airport makes more sense and what a great idea to spend the day at the Shelbourne! I am not sure if we will be off the ship at 9:00. I had friends who did the Marina maiden crossing and they were kept on the ship quite a long time and almost missed their flight. My e-mail address is alicemail1@cox.net. Thanks again!

Frank doesn't kid -- he'll be there. And, if you think you may have difficulty getting off in time, he can take care of that, too :cool::D.

Wow- can I have a ride to the pier from Boca Raton? Just kidding - we will park at the pier. Glad Oceania is sailing the Caribbean from South Florida. Any chance of changing embarkation port to Port Everglades in the future- most cruise lines seem to be moving there.

I think he is on your cruise ;)

I saw on the Florida forums there is a rental place near the port but if you are going to do the day pass at the hotel they would probably just store your bags while your enjoy the place then just grab a cab to the airport when you are ready

Just a thought

Allyg-I 'll be there at 9:00 am, if your late, no problem.

Don- little I can do to speed up the various government agencies involved.

Benita- we're not going to Port Everglades. In fact we've just "relocated" our Regent ships to Port Miami from Pt. Everglades. Pt Everglades has become the port of choice for the mega-sized ships and has become way too crowded for our type ships and customers.

FDR

FDR, we will meet you and your navy blue range rover at 9:00 a.m. (or as soon as we can get off the ship) on Thursday, November 29. If you are not there, we will take a cab. Thanks!!

Allyg

Allyg-I 'll be there at 9:00 am, if your late, no problem.

Don- little I can do to speed up the various government agencies involved.

Benita- we're not going to Port Everglades. In fact we've just "relocated" our Regent ships to Port Miami from Pt. Everglades. Pt Everglades has become the port of choice for the mega-sized ships and has become way too crowded for our type ships and customers.

FDR

Sir, you are clearly a kind and helpful soul, but pick a nit? Seabourn sails only from Port Everglades, and it is much easier to locate your ship there than in Miami, where all the pax seem to be funneled into a narrower area.

it is much easier to locate your ship there than in Miami, where all the pax seem to be funneled into a narrower area.

I would disagree with you there

Since Oceania docks usually in Terminal J no other ships are usually there so not hard to find ;)

http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/cruise_terminals.asp

It is easier for passengers not form the USA to fly into MIA

When we disembarked from Regatta in Miami we took a cab to the airport where we had reserved a rental car. Drove to South Beach, toured the sights, drove north along the coast stopping when we wanted to walk on beach or look around. Luggage was kept with us in the car.

Had the best Mexican food ever in a little place in a strip mall. Had to hightail it back to airport way too soon to catch our 8 pm flight. A most enjoyable day spelunking on the coast after a chilly cruise and prior to returning to even chillier Canada. Would do again in a heartbeat.

Mo

Wait for me right outside the terminal and I'll be glad to take you to the rental car plazas at the airport as Don suggests.

Then drive to South Beach get a day room at a beachfront hotel (The Shelboure is my favorite) and spend a few hours relaxing at the beach/pool. Have lunch there and if time permits, walk around famous Lincoln Road which is great for people watching and shopping. If time really permits, visit the Bass Museum.

The Shelbourne, Lincoln Road and the Bass are all walking distance.

FDR

ONLY on Oceania would the CEO offer to drive a passenger in his own car to the rental car plaza. Can you even imagine the CEO's of other cruise lines making such an offer? Unthinkable.

FDR:

Say, Frank, my wife and I are going on our first Oceania cruise at the end of November. We're sailing on Regatta on a Miami-to-Miami trip. Would you mind watching our puppy for us while we're gone?

Thanks a million,

Sweet Ol' Bob

FDR:

Say, Frank, my wife and I are going on our first Oceania cruise at the end of November. We're sailing on Regatta on a Miami-to-Miami trip. Would you mind watching our puppy for us while we're gone?

Thanks a million,

Sweet Ol' Bob

What would you do if he said YES :D:D

Archived